Texas Fishing Forum

Cast Nets and Cuss Words

Posted By: Catfish Tim

Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/29/22 04:18 PM

PSA: Deep, deep rabbit hole...

There is probably no more frustrating thing in the world of Catfishing than learning to throw a cast net. The second most frustrating thing is losing them to the floor of the river or lake that we throw them in. The third most frustrating this is finding one, the one you really want when you need a new one...

My pain in the second category, losing them to the lake or river bottom is chronicled in the number of white 3 gallon buckets I have in my garage. I don't even want to count how many I have but suffice it to say there are enough buckets out there to represent a couple thousand dollars in lost cast nets.

I know we all have our story about how we struggled to learn to throw a cast net. We had a friend show us their method, or we watched videos on YouTube or however we got the technique we ended up trying to emulate. Then, we went to the back yard, or in my case the backyard pool. There I would throw and cuss and throw and cuss. I would get tired and go back to the drawing board, in my case YouTube and start over. I watched several versions. The over the shoulder, the lead in the mouth, the gimmick with the little frisbee thing, and lots of others. Then one day I watched Luke Nichols who had the Catfish and Carp channel. He was one of the first bigtime catfishing YouTubers. I watched his channel religiously for a couple years and then you kind of faded out. His method of throwing the cast net seemed pretty simple, so I tried it...

Like all the other times, the first attempt was awful. But I knew if I was going to catch catfish, I needed to be able to consistently throw a good pancake. So I threw and I cussed and I threw and I cussed. And them something happened. I threw a pretty good circle. Not perfect but good enough that I paused and thought, "there's hope"... So I kept throwing and cussing and throwing and cussing. And over time, I would get some good throws and I was starting to cuss less.

Eventually I figured out the nuance of each part of the art of throwing pancakes. The load, the up and out, spin, the release, the second release, all the elements that have to come together like all the instruments in an orchestra playing together to make a beautiful sound.

Then I started to put my new skill to work and realized that it was only one small part of the bait catching equation. I thought I had mastered it but I soon found out that I was just beginning the long battle of learning to consistently catch bait. The story doesn't end there it begins there...

So now that I know how to throw the net I needed to learn the more important skills of knowing where to throw it. I saw some information that talked about how throwing a cast net in water over 25 feet deep was a waste of time because the net closes as it sinks. Then I learned that the shad can be deep in the winter when it's cold. Then I saw Carey Thorn catching massive nets gorged with big gizzards in small creeks in the winter in just a couple feet of water! I was thoroughly confused.

I now know that both the deep and the shallow can be true at the same time. I have learned that when I started out, catching shad in the summer was easy because they were scattered all over the lake. They are easy to catch because they are everywhere. Then as the water gets cold, they tended to disappear form the places I had relied on them being. in the Marina in the morning, up in the skinny water in the afternoon.

Sunning on the warm concrete of boat ramps that don't get much use. I had on an occasion or two netted a jackpot of bait on the boat ramp. I hit a boat ramp one morning before light and threw on it. Started pulling it in and saw a flash or two of the shad in the headlights of the truck and thought okay, looks good. And then when I got the net up I saw I had also managed a water moccasin.I laid the net out on the ramp and ran over it with the truck (true story). Ended up throwing that one away in the trash can next to the ramp...

Now trying to understand where they went in the winter was beginning to come into focus. I started looking deep around bridge piers. Learned that when you throw on those spots, you are risking the net snagging on the rubble down there and you will also get every type of fish in the lake along with shad. So again I started looking deeper but if the net closes what are you supposed to do in deep water.

Then... I had an epiphany. I saw a video that Chris Souders did with a taped cast net. I thought Taped, what's a taped cast net. I watched him throw in 35 feet of water and pull up a load of bait. He said the tape keeps the net open. I thought EUREKA! now I know how it's done. I looked at buying one. After I saw what they cost I thought, heck I'll just tape one and make my own. Honestly, it worked okay. I have made a couple of homemade taped nets over the years. But the ones you buy come with a 50 foot hand line.

Anyway, the first time I threw a taped net it was magical. I watched it continue to spread as it sank out of sight and I thought oh those shad don't have a chance anymore. Speaking of that, have you ever thought what it must be like to be a shad? Everything in the entire world wants to eat you. Everything in the water on the water and in the air above the water. Man that's tough life...

So after trying a few different nets, I became a fan of the Fitec nets. The Lee Fisher nets are good too. I think they are made of stronger mesh but the Fitec just seem to throw better for me. I have also learned that I throw the heavier nets better than the lighter ones. Not sure what it is but there is something about my technique that suits the heavier nets. I would throw them anyway even if they weren't easier because I like the rate at which they sink.

I have become pretty good at mending my nets. I use braid to mend holes in the mesh. Tying square knots over and over to pull it back closed when it tears. I also replace broken brail lines with 80 pound mono. the 11970 uses 100 pound mono for brail but when I bust a brail line and replace it with the 80 it seems to work fine.

I am to the point now that I keep a non-taped net for sketchy areas where I think I might catch a stump or a rock but I throw my 11970 99% of the time. I keep telling myself I need to keep a couple of them so if I snag one it doesn't put me out of commission but at $150 a copy or thereabouts, it's hard to keep a spare.

So, that is my cast net story.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/29/22 05:00 PM

Haven't made the step to a taped net yet... I need to though.
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/29/22 05:27 PM

Reading this thread is like reliving a nightmare - lol!

I have finally mastered casting a smaller 6 foot net, but it took me a long time and my vocabulary expanded exponentially, and not in a good way. Throwing in my back yard worked for me, but it was tiring and a lot of work.

I finally invested in a big Fitec taped net last year and the things are amazing, but oh man are they HEAVY!! Throwing it just five times for this old geezer and I'm about ready for a nap.

On a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being a master net thrower, I am probably a 2, maybe a 3 on good days, but for locating bait I don't even score. I'm pretty bad, but hey I am getting better.

Last year I lost 3 nets at around $50 to $60 each which sucked, but thankfully I didn't lose my tape net and they are over $150 a pop. I did fish with another gentleman up in Texoma once and he threw his brand spanking new $160 taped net and snagged it first throw. I would have cried and yes it was gone. One throw!

Tim forgot to mention the COLD. I have fished with Tim in the middle of winter and Tim has thrown his heavy net in freezing temperatures. Yeah the fishing was great it but his hands turned to ice blocks.

It certainly aint for sissies!
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/29/22 07:38 PM

So.. what are you doing with all them empty buckets?? I might need 'em! lol

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/29/22 07:43 PM

I think I'm gonna sell 'em back to Fitec!

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/29/22 08:00 PM

Bob, you are right about the cold. There is nothing that will make your hands ache like cast netting in 20 degree weather. I remember pulling the net in and having it freeze to the deck while I was fumbling with frozen fingers trying to pull the dink shad out that got gilled in the mesh. I would have to pull it off the deck and dunk it in the water to thaw it and throw it quick before it froze again. You can imagine what happens to your hands when they are soaking wet in those temps.

I decided that this year, I am going to get one of those small propane heaters. Not to heat a space, but to hold my hands in front of between throws to get some feeling back in them!
Posted By: rebait

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/29/22 08:19 PM

1575 words X .09 ea per word read. You owe me $141.75 for reading that story. When you send money I think I will order a new net with the windfall.
PS I estimated total # of words.
PSS I guess if I was dumb enough to read it all I owe you a $150 bucks for the tale, wait for it.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/29/22 10:01 PM

Losing cast nets is just a part of fishing. A good year I'll lose 5 a bad on takes a dozen. I order them 3 at a time from Fitec.
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/30/22 01:14 AM

I can't believe that I didn't see this thread yesterday... Not sure what happened. Great read though, really good. I asked about some of the nets with the chains on the skirts of another thread Tim had early this morning. Not got back there yet lol...
The Fitec nets do seem to be on their game. One of theirs maybe what I get for a spare, I do know the lake I fish most often now has so much brush and rock, there is going to be those throws I won't get the net back. It would help my feelers if I have a nice brandy new one right there on the spot to replace it, and certainly, if it's a good net.

One other thing here that does need to be acknowledged by all here, which yes that does mean you all would have had to read all this, to get the point, let none of us drive through any of these lost cast nets and have them sucked up on the lower unit.
I have worked on the outboards for years and have never heard or seen where somebody has. Man what a mess that would be though.
Posted By: skeetmaster

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/30/22 02:08 AM

Tim, you've got a way with words. When i read that i was taken back to my cast net beginnings. True, true, and true. One thing i can say to anyone learning.... just don't give up! When you finally throw a couple of perfect throws you'll feel it. I had to start with a 5 footer and work my way up. Strange thing for me is, there are days that i have absolutely no trouble and then some days i just can't hardly throw it. I'm sure that's mental. I would tell anyone that the day you understand that you don't have to throw the net hard to get it to open right is the day you really start figuring it out.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/30/22 04:01 AM

Neat post! thumb
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/30/22 05:21 PM

Tim,

Love the story - and as usual, lot of learnings and lessons there.

Bob - I am with you on the good days and bad days. Almost hate to have a great day catching bait, knowing I will pay for it soon. Just not as simple to find as they should be...

Geno - comment about not throwing hard is very real... took me a while to learn that. And now, if I want to throw hard, seems like I always mess it up.

Mr. Jackie - they should give you a bulk discount!

tight lines soon eveyone.

Ken
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/30/22 09:44 PM

You haven't lived until you throw a cast net into a ball of baby catfish and have Mr Game Warden sit in his truck watching you to make sure you get every one out of it.

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 09/30/22 11:48 PM

Oh I bet those little thorny monsters are bad to pick out of a net period, let alone while the game warden is watching... I have seen them in huge balls with 1000's of them, I can't even imagine how bad those would be suck in the net. They are bad enough to just try and hold one without being stuck yourself.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/01/22 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
Bob, you are right about the cold. There is nothing that will make your hands ache like cast netting in 20 degree weather. I remember pulling the net in and having it freeze to the deck while I was fumbling with frozen fingers trying to pull the dink shad out that got gilled in the mesh. I would have to pull it off the deck and dunk it in the water to thaw it and throw it quick before it froze again. You can imagine what happens to your hands when they are soaking wet in those temps.

I decided that this year, I am going to get one of those small propane heaters. Not to heat a space, but to hold my hands in front of between throws to get some feeling back in them!

And I thought I was crazy when I used to break ice to duck hunt. Where is the “shaking my head” emoji ! hammer

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/01/22 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
You haven't lived until you throw a cast net into a ball of baby catfish and have Mr Game Warden sit in his truck watching you to make sure you get every one out of it.

Carey, I cuss when I get one or two in there... Can't imaging a whole school of them! I had a net load the other day with one small blue and a big 12 pound Buffalo that was losing his mind. He had the net so twisted up I could hardly get it to open so I could get him out. I will keep those guys for bait some times. Some times not. Usually when they make me mad I'll keep them. lol.

And those tiny catfish are so sharp. You look at 'em wrong and your hand starts bleeding!

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/01/22 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by rebait
1575 words X .09 ea per word read. You owe me $141.75 for reading that story. When you send money I think I will order a new net with the windfall.
PS I estimated total # of words.
PSS I guess if I was dumb enough to read it all I owe you a $150 bucks for the tale, wait for it.

Okay... I had to check your math. I copied the text into a word document. 1279 words, but in Bidens economy they cost 40% more so they are now 12.5 cents per word. So, that's $161.15. Just make the check out to Mrs. Catfish Tim. I still owe her for the shadow boxes she made me...
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/01/22 11:01 AM

After all that , I’m glad I just open a lid and have bait! I know, not for the fishing you guys do!
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/01/22 11:42 AM

I have purchased bait before from the local Asian market, especially when I was struggling when I first started. They often sell carp and mackerel (and others), and the mackerel is oily and bloody and I've had success on it but no big fish. It's expensive buying bait and nowhere near as good as some freshly caught bait, but it's better than nothing.

A few months ago in late spring I launched my boat and spent no less three hours trying to get bait, I was worn out and only had a handful of small fish, and thats when I decided to get serious about getting my sh*t together with my throw technique and bait locating skills. I have now got good enough to be fairly confident of getting bait every trip, although some days are still tough.

Of course now I've said that...

hammer

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/02/22 11:57 AM

Buying live bait, let me say good live bait, is expensive. I have and will buy if they have the bait. I have never once been anywhere that sold live shad. I know they are really hard to keep alive for a bait shop, I get it, but in my waters, it's the single best bait by far.

Perch are the next, after that crawfish and/or cut bait. It's just really hard to fish for big cats here without one or both of the first two. I have been giving the Black-Salties a go this year and if I have been right behind a good rain, they have done really good. May just been from the fish getting all supercharged up from the rain, cause I have not had lots of interest in them other than that. Don't rain much here this year either. April through May it rained good here, not enough for any good run-off water for the lakes since and the Black-Salties have not done as well since then either. There has been no perch to buy for bait around here this year at all. Only leaves one thing to do and that is to catch my own.

The prices for all stuff I fish with seem to be always expensive, hard to get and doesn't seem to be getting better in either regard. I been wanting to get me at least one more net, have been wondering about these newer nets and how they do. This taped one sounds really interesting, then there is one with a chain skirt, you guys here are the only ones I know that have even heard about them. Most guys here that I fished with have all gotten to the point they don't fish much at all, if any. The younger guys I really don't know much about what they are using. This is another good topic on this forum, and as always thanks for sharing any and all info.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/11/22 01:26 AM

If you havent thrown at least a mild hissy fit trying to learn how to throw a net you aint squat !!! Lol
Is it more frustrating teaching yourself or trying to teach someone else , and gawd forbid they have less patience than you do 🤣🤣🤣

Have a buddy that can throw the big ones and it looks like hes dancing but man my jaw drops when it hits the water perfectly.

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/11/22 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nickbyrd
If you havent thrown at least a mild hissy fit trying to learn how to throw a net you aint squat !!! Lol
Is it more frustrating teaching yourself or trying to teach someone else , and gawd forbid they have less patience than you do 🤣🤣🤣

Have a buddy that can throw the big ones and it looks like hes dancing but man my jaw drops when it hits the water perfectly.

I think it's easier to teach someone else. The fact that at least one of you knows how to do it makes it easier. You are standing there cussing asking yourself what the heck am I doing wrong. lol...
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/11/22 12:56 PM

Haven't tried a taped net. Nor have I ever pulled up a snake in my net. But otherwise, everything you wrote resonates deeply with me.

Great post!
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/14/22 05:58 AM

Once you go taped net you never go back.

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/14/22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Whistlebritches

That much difference in these taped nets... I am at the point I need to replace my net, all the saltwater over the years has taken the biggest toll on mine. The mono really gets all hard and dried out feeling. Even rinsing in fresh and even doing a fabric softener treatment ever so often, it's just getting old and needs to be replaced I guess.

I don't have any doubt that any of the Fy-tec nets won't blow this out of the water, let alone the taped one. I just need to order me one at this point.
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/15/22 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rowdy
Originally Posted by Whistlebritches

That much difference in these taped nets... I am at the point I need to replace my net, all the saltwater over the years has taken the biggest toll on mine. The mono really gets all hard and dried out feeling. Even rinsing in fresh and even doing a fabric softener treatment ever so often, it's just getting old and needs to be replaced I guess.

I don't have any doubt that any of the Fy-tec nets won't blow this out of the water, let alone the taped one. I just need to order me one at this point.

I throw a 6' 1 1/4th lb non-taped net with a 25' handline in shallow water,12' and under,where snags are more prevalent and the net should land on bottom nearly full pancake.In the deeper water,especially 20' plus,I throw a 7' taped Filtec with a 50' handline.Comparing the two in deeper water is night and day.I've thrown that 6'r in 20-25' of water and struggle to get bait,grab that 7' taped net throw in same area and load up in 2-3 throws.Of course it doesn't always work that way but I know that taped net is falling thru the water column all the way to the bottom wide open............so yea I'm sold.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/15/22 02:28 AM

happy i am not alone

Re: Cast Nets and Cuss Words - 10/15/22 09:39 AM

Nothing brings out the emotion in a fisherman like talking about learning to throw a cast net. Thanks for all the comments fellas.
I can still see that video of Luke Nichols throwing the net in his back yard and watching it open and thinking how the heck does he do that!?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum