Texas Fishing Forum

catfish punch bait

Posted By: flexpress

catfish punch bait - 08/12/22 05:28 PM

what the best punch bait or who makes the best ! im looking to buy at least 5 gallons fish
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/12/22 07:05 PM

Stubby's...it ant punch bait...much better...
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/12/22 07:51 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/12/22 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by littlewheel
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

i knew u'd pitch in...put the Stubby's info on here for the guy so he can order a couple of tubs
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/13/22 01:12 AM

Stubby is a rough bait and a darn good one. For lunch bait I really like Sure Shot

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/13/22 04:16 PM

tried stubby catfish want hit it ..
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/13/22 04:29 PM

SURE SHOT !!!!!!!

Tried em all, IMO, the best.

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/13/22 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by flexpress
tried stubby catfish want hit it ..

Then you weren’t anywhere near fish
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/13/22 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fish Killer
Stubby is a rough bait and a darn good one. For lunch bait I really like Sure Shot

Brother you're one tough man. clap
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/13/22 11:49 PM

Catfish won’t hit Stubby’s ? News to me ! That’s a three person limit from 7:30 AM until 11:30 AM ![Linked Image]

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/14/22 12:14 AM

I wanna go with that guy Drycreek!
Posted By: shellj22

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/14/22 01:30 PM

Give cjs a try, really stays on hook well and cats love it
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/14/22 02:44 PM

He’s available except on ice cream weekend ! roflmao
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/14/22 03:30 PM

Without a doubt, Stubbys is the best I have ever used.

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/14/22 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Drycreek3189
He’s available except on ice cream weekend ! roflmao

Lol!
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/14/22 06:15 PM

Want to test punch bait? Try doing it over unbaited water, in an area not baited with milo or range cubes. If it pulls fish to it it will work any where their are fish. Sometimes you just can't fish a baited hole. That's when you need one that pulls them in. Stubbys works great on baited holes, Big Marv's is my go to bait for everywhere.

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/14/22 06:44 PM

We fish nonbaited holes often with Stubby’s. Never have trouble catching fish. Fishing non baited areas is one way we find new spots. I agree, nearly anything will work on a baited hole. BUT, since the original question is about punch bait, I don’t have an answer. I will stick with the dough bait and still help as many people as I can become better fisherman regardless of what bait they choose. As I have tried to do for several years now.

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/14/22 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by littlewheel
We fish nonbaited holes often with Stubby’s. Never have trouble catching fish. Fishing non baited areas is one way we find new spots. I agree, nearly anything will work on a baited hole. BUT, since the original question is about punch bait, I don’t have an answer. I will stick with the dough bait and still help as many people as I can become better fisherman regardless of what bait they choose. As I have tried to do for several years now.

i wooda bet $$$ that u had baited holes Littlewheel...STUBBY'S is better bait than i dreamed of since you ketch all those in NON-baited holes...Daddy always cheated with soured wheat in Lake Kemp

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/14/22 09:37 PM

I don’t always fish non baited holes. Never said I did. We fish baited holes also. I said that when we go looking for new spots, we never have trouble catching fish. Those spots we fish when scouting are not baited. Just simply saying that we catch fish on baited and non baited holes with Stubby’s.
Posted By: G Love

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/15/22 08:07 PM

Sure Shot works just fine for me. I'm not purist enough to punch bait fish without chum roflmao

Channel cats are like Sand Bass, if I'm doing it, its for someone that wants to catch them or I'm after a 3 digit fish day roflmao give me all the chum.
Posted By: Dak’s Guide Service

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/16/22 02:43 AM

Another vote for Stubbys! Also, the dang Labrador will eat half a jug and smell like satans hind end if you leave it on the counter. Ask me how I know!
Posted By: stubby77

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/16/22 01:09 PM

I want to thank all you guys for using stubbys cheese bait

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/16/22 04:58 PM

i see everyone that likes stubby are from lake fork just supporting your locale Guide witch is good where the other lakes that will give a real true report ? just asking !

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/16/22 05:50 PM

nope, i fish for cats on Lake Murvaul and ketch'm off my fishin' dock in 4 ft water...

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/16/22 07:52 PM

We have guides on Lake Fork, Lake O’The Pines, Lake Palestine, Lake Lewisville,Ray Roberts ,and Lake Tawakoni that use our bait. We have it in over 40 stores in East Texas and ship bait to 14 different states. And yes , we do appreciate all the support from the local fisherman!
Posted By: CrappieKiller62

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/16/22 08:49 PM

Why do you recommend no weight with the stubbys?

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/16/22 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by CrappieKiller62
Why do you recommend no weight with the stubbys?

Because the bait is dense enough for it to go to the bottom without a weight. And, you can feel the bite a lot better without weight. I use 1/8 oz steel egg sinkers occasionally when the wind is high.

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/17/22 09:30 PM

well I guess I will it aign I have no hope for the stuff ! it hasent made me a beliver yet !
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/17/22 11:26 PM

I've tried them all and they all catch fish if the fish bite it. Right now I have Sure Shot, Danny Kings, CJ's, ChemDawg, and a couple more. If you want a dip bait, Bill's and Sonny's are good. It depends on where you fish as to what is recommended. South Texas is Marv's country, Central Texas seems to Be CJ's country, North Texas is Sure Shot, and Lake Fork is Stubby's. You said you wanted 5 gallons. That's a lot of bait. Anyway, good luck in what ever you choose.
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/18/22 03:46 PM

Danny kings or cjs
Posted By: tightlines24

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/19/22 05:09 PM

I use a bait called Pafford's Punch Bait. The stuff is amazing! I have used many baits and it is by far my favorite. I have caught as many as 5 different fish after having baited the hook just once.
The stuff stays on the hook so well. However, I don't just dip it in and throw it out. After I daub it I then use my fingers to ball it up around the hook. Yes its nasty but I have a whole lake full of water right in front of me and always have a rag. Personallly if you don't want to get a little messy then I feel catfishing may not be the best form of fishing for you. You guys mention fishing baited holes. I'm not sure what you actually mean.
Is a baited hole one that you have prebaited or just one you threw some chum out. I usually throw some chum out but I have never prebaited anything. Most days once I start fishing a place I never move and will almost always have a limit by 10. I have used this bait 3 different times when I didn't have chum and while it took a little longer to get the fish going, once they got turned on I filled the boat up.
I know there are many good baits and pics don't lie. Stubby's is an awesome bait but I personally prefer Pafford's Punch Bait. James is making a trip to Emory next weekend so if any of you may be interested in contacting him his number is 325 647 2258. Good luck fishing everyone.

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/20/22 04:01 PM

Just googled for it and no luck; must be very new on the market; what is it make of?

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/20/22 04:02 PM

CJS really stays well on the hook in hot weather, its my number 1 bait
Posted By: tightlines24

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/20/22 05:16 PM

I believe James just makes it behind his house but not on a huge scale.He told me it was a recipe his dad came up with and he just continued it on the side. The base is cheese but it has shad and shrimp and a lot of other stuff ground up in it. The binding agent is cattails. The stuff reeks pretty bad but it so dang effective. I’m picking up a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff this coming weekend.

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/22/22 12:03 AM

sounds like a great bait with all those ingredients
Posted By: Skeeter Temp

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/23/22 03:16 PM

Stubby's has never let me down!!
Posted By: Skeeter Temp

Re: catfish punch bait - 08/23/22 03:21 PM

Just talked with James and hes down Thursday, be back in Fall on Fork and Jan he'll be at Pines'

Re: catfish punch bait - 09/01/22 05:58 PM

well it has me sorry !
Posted By: TxCatfishGuide

Re: catfish punch bait - 09/01/22 06:35 PM

The best bait is the one you have confidence in. There are lots of good punch baits. Some stay on the hook better than others.

Re: catfish punch bait - 09/13/22 04:12 PM

well I found a bait that catching catfish and it not stubby ! It new on the market ! pm me and Ill tell you what it is !!! you can cast it !!! WILL stay onn your hook !!!
Posted By: StevoP

Re: catfish punch bait - 09/14/22 11:51 AM

I used Stubby's this summer for the first time. I just got a second bucket! It kicked tail on Tawakoni.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/02/23 11:06 PM

Yes Sir we have stubby's in Maud Texas
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/03/23 12:07 AM

I've used Stubby's on Cedar Creek and Richland Chambers and it worked excellent on both lakes.

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/05/23 02:33 PM

Come fish with me this spring .And I'll see what we can do .

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/05/23 02:34 PM

Come fish with me this spring .And I'll see what we can do .

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/05/23 02:38 PM

Use that bait if it works for you.But dont knock my bait .thanks

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/07/23 03:02 PM

I ship this bait to 12 states.i think that is enough proof it work in all lakes .Palestine twk .bobsandland .lots of lakes

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/07/23 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by stubby77
I ship this bait to 12 states.i think that is enough proof it work in all lakes .Palestine twk .bobsandland .lots of lakes

Lake Murvaul - $2bill ketches'm there

[Linked Image]

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/07/23 03:27 PM

Stubby what lake do u fish on? I may accept your invitation when it warms a little
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/07/23 09:11 PM

Stubby77
Questions for ya.

1) is there a shelf life on opened and unopened containers?
2) don't seem to be able to get the bait deep enough in tawakoni over by the dam area
Or is this more of a shallow bait.

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/07/23 09:41 PM

Fork

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/07/23 09:42 PM

Come on

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/07/23 09:44 PM

I fish it in 45 t0 50 in other lakes.There are a lot of guys fish it on twk .should be no problem

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/07/23 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by ggoytia
Stubby77
Questions for ya.

1) is there a shelf life on opened and unopened containers?
2) don't seem to be able to get the bait deep enough in tawakoni over by the dam area
Or is this more of a shallow bait.

Make sure you are using braided line. Mono floats . You may also try a little weight
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/08/23 04:53 AM

Thanks for heads up. I think I am running braid but a fluorocarbon leader.
I'll double check next time I'm out there.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/12/23 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by BillS2006
I've tried them all and they all catch fish if the fish bite it. Right now I have Sure Shot, Danny Kings, CJ's, ChemDawg, and a couple more. If you want a dip bait, Bill's and Sonny's are good. It depends on where you fish as to what is recommended. South Texas is Marv's country, Central Texas seems to Be CJ's country, North Texas is Sure Shot, and Lake Fork is Stubby's. You said you wanted 5 gallons. That's a lot of bait. Anyway, good luck in what ever you choose.

You are right on!
South Texas is Marv's country and the bait works down here!
I've used them all, and they are all fine baits, but I always go back to Marv's, so maybe it's those jalapeno peppers he puts in the bait?
Posted By: Pops1962

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/12/23 05:25 PM

Over a good baited hole just about any good punch bait will work. I primarily use Mr Whiskers, but it's mainly what ever is available, I've had good results with all the previous mentioned. Baiting the right spot wit the right bait will fill a ice chest with good eaters.

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/21/23 05:51 PM

Fork or any place .lots of lakes
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: catfish punch bait - 01/23/23 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by stubby77
Fork or any place .lots of lakes

I/ve loaded the boat on CC & RC with Stubbys many times

Re: catfish punch bait - 02/06/23 09:35 PM

good Question
Posted By: bangngearz

Re: catfish punch bait - 02/08/23 12:53 AM

I remember Danny King's old recipe...................that was some heavy mixture of cat tails and man did it stay on the hook. I like chicken livers on ice too
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum