Texas Fishing Forum

Hurricane season?

Posted By: skeetmaster

Hurricane season? - 07/13/22 11:44 AM

Is it just me, or is it awfully quiet in the Gulf? There hasn't been a single tropical storm in the gulf so far this season which officially began June 1st. There's actually been three small tropical storms so far, but they haven't been inside the Gulf. The NOAA has predicted this hurricane season to be a busy one. Looking back at the archives, in most years past, we would've already seen numerous tropical storms and at least one or two smaller hurricanes by now. Is this just the calm before the storm (pardon the pun)?

I'm only bringing this up because.....well.....we really need some rain!! And because I think it's interesting how hard we try to predict mother nature and she always slides us a trump card and says "Guess again fools!".

I'm watching the weather and the minute they predict rain, I'll be in my boat, soaking a bait WITHOUT rain gear on!

Come on fall!

de
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/13/22 02:09 PM

God has a sense of humor... and I think one of his favorite jokes is making weather forecasters look like fools!

But I agree, storm season has been quiet it seems. Maybe it is just because we have been looking - hoping for some good rain?

My wife booked us on a family vacation - cruise in early August - probably guarantees a major storm then!

Ken
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/14/22 01:25 AM

Global warming. Al Gore predicted this…..oh wait….. roflmao
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/14/22 12:08 PM

My wife reminded me yesterday that we haven’t had ANY rain for over a month now. We are camping at RayBob this week and the water level is dropping before our very eyes.

And this HEAT!!!

It was 102F yesterday afternoon and felt like 150F, humidity up the wazoo and it ain’t pretty.

It is 82F already this morning, never got below that last night.

Roll on fall…
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/14/22 01:19 PM

Well I could go into a big long diatribe about La Nina and the effect it has on the gulf stream water temperatures but it's all BS. Ken is right, the foolishness of God is wiser than the wisdom of men. It was 105 here in McKinney yesterday and felt like 110. I love this time of year to spend with the grandkids in the pool. But it does make fishing a grind. BCB, your lovely bride is correct. We are 39 days without rain officially. And we are 2 days over the seasonal average for triple digit days with half of July and all of August and September to go yet. And as you all know we can still hit the century mark in October...

I will be out there again tomorrow, Lord willing, and I have a couple ideas after the trip yesterday evening. Drifts are going to be short or I may even anchor in mid depths. Stay tuned.
Posted By: romeroxl1200

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/14/22 09:23 PM

Funny was just talking about hurricanes and no rain.......I with you, think it the calm before the storm. Could be wrong, but its been toooo dry and no rain for too long.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/15/22 02:06 AM

Weather guru Harold Taft always said “Floods end in droughts and droughts end in floods” Bring it, my pond has about dried up ! bouncy
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/15/22 12:05 PM

You can ask any south Texas dove hunter and they'll tell you it's true, but come September and opening of dove season the rains will come and scatter the birds.
Those stock tanks that had the doves congregated on won't do you a bit of good, but those tanks will fill up!
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/15/22 12:20 PM

I’m ready for mine to fill back up-
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/15/22 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
You can ask any south Texas dove hunter and they'll tell you it's true, but come September and opening of dove season the rains will come and scatter the birds.
Those stock tanks that had the doves congregated on won't do you a bit of good, but those tanks will fill up!

That's everywhere in TX come opening day!
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/18/22 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by skeetmaster
Is it just me, or is it awfully quiet in the Gulf? There hasn't been a single tropical storm in the gulf so far this season which officially began June 1st. There's actually been three small tropical storms so far, but they haven't been inside the Gulf. The NOAA has predicted this hurricane season to be a busy one. Looking back at the archives, in most years past, we would've already seen numerous tropical storms and at least one or two smaller hurricanes by now. Is this just the calm before the storm (pardon the pun)?

I'm only bringing this up because.....well.....we really need some rain!! And because I think it's interesting how hard we try to predict mother nature and she always slides us a trump card and says "Guess again fools!".

I'm watching the weather and the minute they predict rain, I'll be in my boat, soaking a bait WITHOUT rain gear on!

Come on fall!

de

Climate alarmists predicted a much heavier than usual amount of hurricane activity this year, back in March. Now, crickets.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/19/22 04:40 AM

We can sure use A LOT of rain here in southcentral Texas! flame
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/19/22 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by TRH (formerly xpress00)
Originally Posted by Jimbo

That's everywhere in TX come opening day!

We need a petition for opening dove season on August 1st.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/21/22 12:15 PM

Wait till September.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/29/22 03:28 PM

Nothing seems to work. I've washed my truck twice in the last month and still no rain mad
Posted By: takemking

Re: Hurricane season? - 07/29/22 03:45 PM

It's not just you. I did some reading yesterday and the Saharan dust storms are keeping dry air over the Atlantic and killing out the tropical waves coming off of central Africa. It's expected it to continue through mid August. Hold on tight after that!

Re: Hurricane season? - 08/05/22 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by skeetmaster

Come on fall!

de

Coast of Africa has been completely dead with ZERO storm development, of course it was predicted earlier in the year to be a major hurricane season. Well, it better get on the stick, if it's gonna happen.
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: Hurricane season? - 08/05/22 01:47 PM

Guys,

It was either yesterday or maybe day before, but I heard on ABC's national news that morning, whichever weather guru say that they are still predicting above average storm season in the Atlantic and Gulf. Now, while I don't wish anybody to blow off the earth or drown, it's really a sad state out here in west Texas, where I am, but bring it!

You toll up the lack of rain, the 100 degree days or even near 100, like there is a lot of difference between 98 and 100...
Then we add that southwest wind we have more times than not, it's been like an air fryer outside this summer.

Now these guys that are thinking it's still going to be a over active season, maybe I am thinking about this all wrong, but does that mean that once the storms start their track across the Atlantic, it's going to be one right after the other?
I have followed all those Sahara desert sand storms keeping the breeding grounds of the storms at a null, heck I have even read that some of the haze we have had that is easy to see was from those sand storms. Heck I get that sure enough.

Heck here in west Texas we have more than our share of sand storms, I have seen the automated lights in town come on from the dirt in the air bad enough and it was that dark out from the dirt in the air. Yes, to me once your sand storm gets that bad, it's way past just sand in the air, lol; it's more like dirt!

Those storms in the Sahara must be really bad mamajammers if they drift up enough and get carried across the Atlantic and to where I see them here, in this smaller desert. But, from one desert to another, I sure wish they would stop blowing. Now we have not had any really bad sand storms since June, I almost hate to say that for the fear of one come up today. It's bad enough just hot and dry outside, don't need to add the dirt in the air lol...It's certainly dead and baron enough around here that we could have one with just a little breath from mother nature...

Now on the dramatic scale of things here, I find it sort of funny and then maybe not so funny, but I am guessing here maybe these winds of change or going to level out the Sahara desert from there all the way across the Atlantic to our shores here, something like the Baja peninsula in Mexico, heck we could have new places to fish out there.

No, I just think the heat is getting to me now lol. But those Sahara sand storms must be really big and really bad to affect the climate that much.
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Hurricane season? - 08/08/22 04:26 AM

Finally see a tropical wave coming off the coast of Africa. First inkling of a tropical system in weeks...

Re: Hurricane season? - 08/08/22 04:18 PM

Tim,

It seems like it's at least month's since one has stirred up there lol. I am going this week at some point with one livewell full of Black-Salties for a all nighter at Allen Henry. Rain to happen or not and Temps to moderate are not as well. I have just got to go lol.

Heck I go fishing in the Gulf and it's always really hot and I still have a great time there, so a hot night here is not a deal breaker, I just thought it was going to break this 100 degree stuff at any time...

I have give up, and maybe just maybe me going night fishing it will rain lol.
I have washed my truck a number of times, as well as the opposite and got it as muddy as it ever gets and nothing makes it rain. So maybe me going for a possible soaking is the trick. After all I just put two new 800 gph bilge pumps in and one of those is a automatic that kicks both on, if it rains more than that I guess I am really getting wet lol.

Re: Hurricane season? - 08/11/22 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
Finally see a tropical wave coming off the coast of Africa. First inkling of a tropical system in weeks...

Yep, had my eye on it for three days now, with my fingers crossed.

Re: Hurricane season? - 08/11/22 06:52 PM

And it fizzled out.

Re: Hurricane season? - 08/13/22 04:34 PM

Heck I even grabbed my cousin and our two old guys went for a night fish on Allen Henry last night. Figured getting my old boat out that would be a cinch to make it rain lol. By 11:30 pm that super full moon had the lake all lite up and it was glass calm. No clouds over the lake and they with the rain moved west...

I had one take and I still don't know why I didn't hook that fish, but not another bite. All I had for bait was Black-Salties, I know you guys don't have success with them, I have always used perch, but this year know one local have had them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum