Texas Fishing Forum

Floating a bait

Posted By: South Florida transplant

Floating a bait - 07/08/22 12:32 PM

I have been floating a small shad (approx. 3 in. thread fin) on 1 Rod along with dragging 2 rods and been getting 1 on float for every 2 blues caught dragging. Is this normal for this summertime pattern? I thought I seen some big ole gar on top but found out these were Kitties. This has been in about 14' water. The float cats been up to 9.3 lbs.
Posted By: skeetmaster

Re: Floating a bait - 07/08/22 12:45 PM

never even tried it. How deep are you setting the bait from the float ? Also, how fast have you been drifting? Is the float setup weighted or is it free drifting on the surface?
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Floating a bait - 07/08/22 02:38 PM

With the thermocline becoming more likely, the float rig is a good idea!
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Floating a bait - 07/08/22 03:52 PM

Used to use a rig with afloat with a Buzz Blade in front. Shad trolled behind boat , when they were above thermocline it was a blast watching them hit that on topwater.
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Floating a bait - 07/08/22 04:29 PM

I often put a "float rig" out when drifting in the summer. Same bait - normally shad, just 2' - 3' down on a big bobber rig. Learned that fishing with Jackie Kennedy...

good luck all

Ken
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Floating a bait - 07/08/22 09:29 PM

I've been using the cork method for about 10 years. From my experience in the hot weather the corks out fish the bottom baits about five to one. Smaller shad works better on the shallow rigs. I did catch one 30# on the corks most are in the 2-10# range, just right for table fare.
Posted By: TxCatfishGuide

Re: Floating a bait - 07/08/22 11:00 PM

All bets are off with hot water like this, I caught fish 2' down in 45 feet of water this morning.
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: Floating a bait - 07/09/22 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by TxCatfishGuide
All bets are off with hot water like this, I caught fish 2' down in 45 feet of water this morning.

I was wondering about that.

I saw carp and gar (plus bass) on the top last trip out and was thinking maybe the cats might chase them. On of the great things about chasing cats is figuring out where they are and what they are feeding on.

It blows my mind seeing Jason, Catfish Kayak, catching big catfish on shiny lures, and he seems to be having some success with it, albeit on a river of course.
Posted By: South Florida transplant

Re: Floating a bait - 07/12/22 04:22 PM

I was about 6" under float with hook only. Tried it again last week and caught more on float than bottom dragging. No big ones all under 10 LB. But sure was fun watching the explosion when they grab that shad.
Posted By: stoneman2

Re: Floating a bait - 07/12/22 04:37 PM

yes , floats this time of year are awesome
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Floating a bait - 07/13/22 04:54 AM

I generally drag a couple baits 3 or 4 foot under balloons, but same principle.
Posted By: stoneman2

Re: Floating a bait - 07/13/22 02:51 PM

I made some floats about 1/3 of the size as my pool noodle juglines , to float behind the boat . same principal as a cork or big bobber but works way better at hooking the fish and keeping huge baits up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum