Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone notice a lack of a thermocline on their lake?

Posted By: z289sec

Anyone notice a lack of a thermocline on their lake? - 07/04/22 08:45 PM

I primarily fish Eagle Mountain, and have noticed the thermocline in mid depth waters, in areas that aren't punished regularly by the wind. But I usually see it at some point throughout the entire lake, if the water is more than 20 foot deep. This year though, out in the main lake, I haven't seen it on my graph, and fish are still on or near the bottom throughout that part. Did the excessive amount of wind we have had this year, play a part in that? Surface water temp is pushing 90 degrees.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Anyone notice a lack of a thermocline on their lake? - 07/05/22 04:01 AM

Wind definitely plays a role in keeping the thermocline from setting up. Lakes like Cedar Creek that are wide open and get a lot of boat traffic on the weekends will have a thermocline 18-22 ft or deeper. Smaller lakes without a lot of wind can have a thermocline at 11-12 ft. Mixing of the water keeps the oxygen plentiful.
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Anyone notice a lack of a thermocline on their lake? - 07/05/22 09:52 AM

Interesting question. I have not seen one yet on Lavon. I was out last Friday and had good results in 20 to 25 FOW. No thermocline in any areas that I scanned including deepest parts of the lake. Bait was up shallow in the marina. The wind seems to me to be a plausible explanation for the lack of thermocline. Stayed off the water over the weekend and let the party crowd go on without me. Be back out this weekend.

GB & TL...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum