Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Waco Help

Posted By: learnin to fish

Lake Waco Help - 06/06/22 05:12 PM

I mainly fish striper/hybrids/whites but have a friend who wants to fish channel cats Saturday morning. I don’t have a lot of experience catfishing other than catching them while striper fishing with live bait. I have a hurt shoulder and can’t throw a cast net right now was was wondering what y’all thought of my plan for this weekend?

Put out range cubes first thing in the am on humps and standing dead trees closer deeper water. Maybe some soured grain too.

Fish white bass/hybrids for a couple hours then come back to my baited holes with more soured grain and Danny Kings punch bait on a treble hook?

Thats about all I know to do, please let me know if I’m on target or if y’all have any other suggestions.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Lake Waco Help - 06/06/22 09:24 PM

Sound like a good plan to me? I typically just throw out soured grain, anchor up and wait 20 minutes. If no bite by then I do it again somewhere else. Right now riprap would be my first choice or trees in 5-6 feet of water near a channel.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Lake Waco Help - 06/06/22 11:27 PM

Soured wheat under docks, and near rocks. Spot on with the small treble hook and punch bait. Typically, I fish it under a slip cork.

Re: Lake Waco Help - 06/07/22 02:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!! I’ll let y’all know how I do.

Re: Lake Waco Help - 06/11/22 08:25 PM

How long will soured grain hold catfish? I baited about a dozen spots this morning. Came back about 1.5 hours later and no fish in the area. Didn’t catch a single catfish. We did hammer the white bass, thankfully.
Posted By: jdr418

Re: Lake Waco Help - 06/12/22 11:42 PM

Here is how you do it. Michael Littlejohn knows his stuff.

https://youtu.be/DkAYnhVokYQ
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Lake Waco Help - 06/13/22 12:43 AM

I have been staying in 25-28 ft on my trips.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Lake Waco Help - 06/14/22 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by learnin to fish
How long will soured grain hold catfish? I baited about a dozen spots this morning. Came back about 1.5 hours later and no fish in the area. Didn’t catch a single catfish. We did hammer the white bass, thankfully.

Doesn't take them long to draw in, and even less to eat it. usually when I chum, I'll hit like three or four docks, and by the time I get back to the first one (10 or 15 minutes) it's on. They usually have a belly full already, because they'll puke it up in the live well. You could literally probably chum one dock, and wait a few minutes, and they would be there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum