Texas Fishing Forum

Does anyone actually use the advice from TPWD?

Posted By: z289sec

Does anyone actually use the advice from TPWD? - 03/27/22 02:33 AM

I actively use the TPWD site, mainly for water temp, and lake levels. Just curious, if anyone has found that the times that they suggest using certain depth ranges to find the fish in, are astronomically different from where you actually find them on your electronics?

For instance, on the 23rd, the latest info on Ray Roberts, on TPWD website says 53 degrees, and Catfish were found to be in 3 to 10 feet. We got to the lake today, 53 degrees was accurate, and never saw a single fish of any kind, in anything less than 18 foot of water, and huge amounts of fish in 25-40. I mean do they just completely guess, or are they being given bad info, or what might be the cause for this? I see it constantly, on nearly every body of water I fish. I understand that this is the transition period for most fish, and that the reports lag behind somewhat. But from 3-10 to 25-40 is a huge swing.

Even when we are on the water long enough to see a couple degrees temp change, the fish didn't move up.
Posted By: skeetmaster

Re: Does anyone actually use the advice from TPWD? - 03/27/22 03:47 AM

Man, i swear that they have a page of info that they just randomly copy and paste from. I don't know it just seems like it's rarely accurate
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Does anyone actually use the advice from TPWD? - 03/27/22 04:12 AM

The “fishing report” is rarely accurate, im actually surprised it even gave you any kind of depth range. Typically the level of detail is something along the line of “crappie are fair on minnows and jigs”. The lake level is about the only thing worth trusting.
Posted By: shellj22

Re: Does anyone actually use the advice from TPWD? - 03/27/22 01:18 PM

most of it is old and pretty worthless info, just my opinion
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Does anyone actually use the advice from TPWD? - 03/28/22 02:57 PM

Much of the information I find on TPWD is trash reported to them from specific guides they have relationships with. Since catching fish is a guides livelihood they will be vague when providing info that's going to be shared statewide.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Does anyone actually use the advice from TPWD? - 03/28/22 03:31 PM

Only reports I use are from my friends that are on the water a day or 2 before I go or my guide buddies that fish every day. It pays to have good fishing buddies.

I looked at the fishing report the TPWD puts out for Lewisville and it was spot on. I know every lake report is different depending on who is giving the report but Lewisville conditions were exactly like it states.

Here is a copy and paste for March 23: my notes are in bold lettering.
GOOD. Water lightly stained; 52 degrees; 1.87 feet low. water was 53 in main lake and lake was 1.8 ft low White bass are starting to show up on points and humps in 20-30 feet of water. This is where I got bait and the sandbass were exactly where it says they areSmaller white bass can still be caught deeper in 32-65 feet of water near river channels using jigs or live shad. Hybrid stripers are slow, but can be picked off every once in a while. They will be hanging around the white bass. Catfish are steady with a good bite most days drifting cut shad or chicken breasts. Check near wind blown points and flats near creek channels. we saw lots of fish in these types of areas Catfish can also be caught shallow this time of year near the creek mouths and around flooded timber in 1-24 feet of water. we caught all our fish the last 2 weeks in creek mouths and in flooded timber in 2 ft Anchor in the shallow water and drift the points and flats. this is exactly what we do and have lots of success Crappie are fair all over the lake in depths ranging from 2-35 feet of water. Piles of leaves, stumps, laydowns, brush piles, standing timber, and bridge columns have all produced fish on minnows and jigs. Report by Wes Campbell, BendaRod Fishing.

These reports are vague but accurate for Lewisville. Can’t speak for any other fisheries but for Lewisville it is spot on and up to date. If your looking for more detailed reports you gotta grow your network of anglers and call on them when you need intel. I don’t know anyone who will give exact location publicly but all my buddies will give me credible info and exact locations with pins anytime I ask. I always do the same for my friends whenever they call. Being friendly to other anglers and building those relationships really helps me throughout the year.

Re: Does anyone actually use the advice from TPWD? - 03/29/22 06:49 AM

Yeah Chris, you can scroll through the reports and there'll be some that are quite extensive and up to date, and then there are some that seem to hardly ever change from season to season. They probably just don't have the resources to have someone getting good, detailed info for every lake in Texas. I think it's probably kind of seasonal as well. When the spring season starts heating up they may get a little more info from people.

Building relationships with people that fish a lot is definitely paramount to having good intel, which catfish guys are much more forthcoming with. That's one more reason I've fallen in love with catfishing. The catfish community is a different breed than fisherman of other species. Try to get some good info from a crappie guy LOL! He'll tell you that the fish are definitely biting in the lake and that he caught every single one of them right in the mouth. I've seen crappie guides use a smoke screen when pulling out from the boat ramp to hide their destinations!

Re: Does anyone actually use the advice from TPWD? - 03/29/22 06:55 AM

I can't really dog on the crappie guys too much though because I'm one of them too! I'm about to go crappie crazy for a few weeks and I'll tell everyone right now exactly where to find em.....in 1 foot of water in the lake!
Posted By: TxCatfishGuide

Re: Does anyone actually use the advice from TPWD? - 04/07/22 05:59 PM

I report for a couple of lakes and know many other guides do as well. The reports I send in on Monday or Tuesday each week are published on Thursday.

Fish have fins and tails and they move. When the weather is changing a lot they'll move fast and move often so when you're relying on information that is days old there will always be changes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum