Texas Fishing Forum

1st Solo river Flathead trip

Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

1st Solo river Flathead trip - 03/20/22 12:00 AM

I headed to the Trinity just east of Houston . I made a pretty long run to where there was some flow and set up .
I had live sun fish and some that had died for cut bait and the first fish was a 12 pound blue that smoked the cut bait and after hanging up several rods that was all for that spot. I moved to some structure
and added a 10 and 6 pound blue and at almost 11 am I catch a 8.7 pound Flatty, I got hung up some More .
I catch another 12 pound blue and t3 more from 6-8 pounds.
Then at 2:40 a rod goes down hard peeling drag on the way in it hangs up and another rod gets slammed. So I put the hung up one in the rod holder hoping it swims out and grab the other rod and bam same thing it’s hung . The other rod swims free so I swap rods and start bringing it in and the other rod starts taking drag and a handle I attempted to repair snapped and there goes the rod overboard 🤬. The good thing is I get the other one boat side and in the net it was a nice 22 pound Flatty . That river fishing can get intense quick ! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: 1st Solo river Flathead trip - 03/20/22 01:44 AM

Nice work Dewayne! We were planning on Flathead fishing Saturday night but all the lights on the boat malfunctioned so we chased Blues today instead. Jax got him a 43 and dang near broke his PB. I posted the report on my Facebook group since there isn’t much interest anymore in my trip reports here.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: 1st Solo river Flathead trip - 03/20/22 01:35 PM

Nice! Love to see when people actually catch them. very elusive for me but I will not give up.
Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: 1st Solo river Flathead trip - 03/21/22 07:01 PM

I was pretty intimidated by them and never targeted them and would skip our tournament series river events . I went with a friend who runs the tournaments and he taught me the basics . It was basically just fishing and trying to get your bait in front of the structure . It is intense trying to get them away from the structure before they hang you up which happened several time 🤣🤣.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum