Texas Fishing Forum

Gizzard shad

Posted By: Tommycat23

Gizzard shad - 03/18/22 05:05 PM

I have been trying to catch gizzard shad from the bank with my castnet for the last few months. I've gotten lucky here and there but I am looking to get better at it and want to have a discussion with someone who is willing to talk to me about it. I've been going to white rock lately but I also know lewisville is loaded with them. I could really use some help.
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Gizzard shad - 03/19/22 08:46 PM

Well the first issue you have Tommycat is the water temp. In the winter I catch shad in 35 feet of water. The shallows are normally empty during the winter months. The good news is, the season is changing and the water is warming up. Soon the shad will be up in those shallows and they should become much easier to catch from the bank.

GB & TL...
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Gizzard shad - 03/20/22 01:38 PM

I look forward to trying to use my cast net and getting some shad. I have only used it for mullet at the coast.
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Gizzard shad - 03/20/22 06:58 PM

The lake I fish the gizzards have been up the river and in creeks since January but they are starting to return back to the main lake this past week as water temps are above 65 degrees and getting warmer. It will Cary from lake to lake but like Catfish Tim stated it is all about water temps.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum