Texas Fishing Forum

Spring Break on Rayburn?

Posted By: JKib

Spring Break on Rayburn? - 03/03/22 05:11 AM

We are headed to Rayburn for Spring Break. My daughters love running noodles, but I’ve mostly just tinkered with it. I really would like to get them involved in it this year. Any suggestions for Sam Rayburn during the 3rd week of March? I’m not necessarily looking for “big fish”, would like to put them on numbers. Both noodles and rod/reel.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Spring Break on Rayburn? - 03/05/22 06:16 PM

Considering the same trip myself. Went out there last year but it was too cold for much fishing.
Posted By: skeetmaster

Re: Spring Break on Rayburn? - 03/06/22 11:17 AM

Wish I could help you guys. I've never catfished that mondo lake before but I bet there's some seriously good fishing there. I would imagine you would start off searching mid-depth like maybe around 20-25 feet. I would probably focus around secondary points just off the main lake. If there's been an influx of rain recently I would definitely try where the main river feeds into the lake and I might even fish as shallow as 3-5 feet if the water temp is mid fifties or higher. Good luck and hope you find some!
Posted By: mudbelly

Re: Spring Break on Rayburn? - 03/06/22 06:41 PM

I usually rod and reel fish cats on Rayburn but occasionally noodle. I have not been lately but I expect my next trip will be shallow slip corking. Usually the depth that is effective for this runs about 6' next to the cypress and willows but lake is about 4' low.

My P.B. on noodles was 32lbs in 2' of water. I'd try coves with less than 10'. Of course deep water and creek channels needs to be near.

If I can catch a cast net full of shad on the Hanks Creek boat ramp that usually means a good noodle day.
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Spring Break on Rayburn? - 03/07/22 12:35 PM

I was just looking at the chart for Sam Rayburn. Wow! Big deep lake. Looks like lots of submerged timber, some deep some shallow. Well defined river channels. Looks like it would be a lot of fun! I agree with the shallow approach for noodles and by that time of the month probably the rod and reel too. Fishing deep with noodles is much harder for me. I used to let Wyatt throw some in the shallows and then let him grab them with a hook when they got bit. He loved doing that...

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum