Texas Fishing Forum

Need a good local mechanic/boat guy

Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Need a good local mechanic/boat guy - 02/18/22 08:46 PM

Appreciate any leads fella’s.

I just purchased a couple of mulTbar rod rest holders and a bunch of Smackdown rod rests, and need someone who can fix them to the stern of my boat.

It’s a small 16 foot tin deep V, and after seeking advice know the plates that fix it all to the boat will need reenforcing with a back plate and bolts. I know the big cats can takedown with such force they can turn your boat around, so I need them attached securely and frankly that is outside of my skill.

I’m willing to pay for time and know this is likely to be involved, so not trying to do it on the cheap. I just want it done right.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Need a good local mechanic/boat guy - 02/18/22 08:51 PM

PS I called Cabela’s and they told me they could do it, but would probably take them up to 8 weeks to get around to it, but I would need to leave my boat with them now.

Errr, nope.

hammer
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Need a good local mechanic/boat guy - 02/18/22 09:19 PM

It’s an easy install Bob. Just do it yourself buddy. You don’t need a backer plate. Just use oversized washers and your good to go. If you ordered from Colton directly you can discussed mounting options and he will tell you exactly what you need and will provide you with the necessary hardware for your application. My guess is you didn’t take my advice and ordered from Smackdown which probably doesn’t provide all the necessary hardware.

Re: Need a good local mechanic/boat guy - 02/18/22 11:28 PM

^ thanks Chris, and to confirm I ordered the mulTbar directly from Colton. I haven't received the hardware yet as it's a 10 day production cycle right now, but I will call him ask him about options for fitting.

It may seem simple for those of you who are practical with your hands, but not so much for those of us not blessed with manual skills.

flush

Re: Need a good local mechanic/boat guy - 02/18/22 11:33 PM

Hey Chris, you're over your pm limit - lol!

This is my earlier text exchange with him. I put in a mention that you sent me!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Need a good local mechanic/boat guy - 02/19/22 03:53 AM

Bob,

Wish I was closer to you, as I would be glad to help you out. If you cant find anyone and decide to bring it down to Red Oak, I have tools, metal, etc.

But... as Chris said, it might not be that bad of a job. Big washers, especially what they call "fender washers" work well for most applications like this. Fender washers are way oversized for the hole. Example 1/4" hole fender washer will be larger than a quarter in diameter. Normal 1/4" washer is closer to a dime or less. Using some of these will really spread the load... Use nylock nuts. They will not back off. You can also go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy some aluminum flat stock, and cut pieces to put on the back side of the bolt and nuts. Just trying to spread the load is all you are doing.

Good luck, get in touch if we need to talk about it, or need me to help out.

Ken
Posted By: skeetmaster

Re: Need a good local mechanic/boat guy - 02/19/22 04:24 AM

I got you Bob. I'll come over and install them for you. I've installed everything on my boat including my graph, trolling motor, rod holders and replaced my rack and pinion steering. Yours will be a breeze since it's not fiberglass. Drilling holes in fiberglass is like nails on a chalkboard! Let me know when you get them in and I'll set aside some time for you.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Need a good local mechanic/boat guy - 02/19/22 12:09 PM

Good deal Bob. I thought it was very cool that Colton was willing to give me the new T bars to test for free since worked with him on coming up with the design. Intelligent guy and a pleasure go work with. Your going to love your MulTbars no doubt. Get with Colton on what hardware you’ll need as he can help you decide what length of bolts you’ll need and can send all that hardware with your order. I know the TFF family have offered to help but your also welcome to bring your boat over to my house and I can put the bars on if need be.

Re: Need a good local mechanic/boat guy - 02/20/22 02:09 AM

Thanks so much for the offers of help guys.

My Texoma fishing buddy gofish from this site has also offered help and advice, and I know he has done some outstanding upgrades on his center console tin boat, so am taking him up on his offer to help.

Hopefully with his help I can getter dunn, and avoid him having to murder me because of my incompetence!

breakdance
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum