Texas Fishing Forum

Trim down for freeze!

Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Trim down for freeze! - 01/01/22 04:38 PM

Trim down your motors guys! Hard freeze coming will wreck a lower unit!
Posted By: cnthompson

Re: Trim down for freeze! - 01/02/22 02:19 AM

Lol I just went to the barn and did this.
Posted By: TAKIN DRAG ATX

Re: Trim down for freeze! - 01/02/22 02:28 AM

thumb
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Trim down for freeze! - 01/02/22 02:48 AM

Shoot boy, I wrapped mine with a heating pad wrapped in a towel & trashbag. I love my LU! clap thumb
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Trim down for freeze! - 01/02/22 04:24 AM

thumb
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: Trim down for freeze! - 01/02/22 09:04 AM

So any advice for any idiot that failed to do this?

hammer

Asking for a friend. Boat is in enclosed storage.

Sigh.

*** edit, when I pulled the boat out of the water last time, the motor was all the way down for 2-3 minutes before I raised it to attach the transom protector ***
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Trim down for freeze! - 01/04/22 05:24 AM

I keep mine in my garage and still lower it just as a precaution. Even helps to leave the light on if you can. If your boat is enclosed it should be okay as temps will warm up by mid day each day. If you do have to lower your engine don’t forget to raise them back up when you can as keeping an engine down for extended periods of time can cause damage to your lower unit seals from the pressure. If your boat is outside wrapping them up like Flip n Go is the best way.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Trim down for freeze! - 01/04/22 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by mjmetro0719
I keep mine in my garage and still lower it just as a precaution. Even helps to leave the light on if you can. If your boat is enclosed it should be okay as temps will warm up by mid day each day. If you do have to lower your engine don’t forget to raise them back up when you can as keeping an engine down for extended periods of time can cause damage to your lower unit seals from the pressure. If your boat is outside wrapping them up like Flip n Go is the best way.

Keeping motor trimmed down will not hurt the trim/tilt seals.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum