I love Fall and Winter - 11/23/21 10:56 PM

Beautiful fall morning with little time on a wind blown point,37"/28 lbs

The catch,the release and the damage

Attached picture IMG_20211123_085555161_HDR.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20211123_085738983.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20211123_091039332_HDR.jpg
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/23/21 11:54 PM

Victory!! as I always say on my boat “you ain’t fishing hard until somebody bleeds!” 🩸🩸🩸
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/24/21 12:31 AM

roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/24/21 11:23 AM

Blood is always a good sign. Sometimes it's theirs, sometimes it's yours. Solid fish...
Posted By: Holzer

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/24/21 04:01 PM

thumb
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/25/21 01:23 AM

Another beautiful thing about fall,winter and spring is no hassling with the boat,I can catch big fish right off the bank with my surf rods.................from shallow coves to 35' holes out in the old creek channel.Caught the fish above about 60-70 yards off shore fishing over a ledge in about 28' of water.Not sure why but I find this type of fishing more challenging and rewarding.Yea I've had some real toads break me off over those ledges,had a huge flathead back in May snap one of my 12' surf rods as he catapulted off a tree in about 4' of water.........took me back over the ledge and snapped 50lb braid, but that was a battle I will never forget.He lives to fight again and I want a rematch
Posted By: z289sec

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/25/21 03:03 AM

Same here.....love me some cold weather kitties

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/25/21 05:19 AM

Hassling with boat? Boating is life Whistlebritches! Boating is fun. Boating is the freedom to go wherever whenever you want! Boating is a Creed and preparing the boat for battle is part of the ritual! Blues are never in the same place for long especially in the fall and having the ability to go find where the fish are is what fishing from a boat is all about! Given the option to bank or boat I choose boat 100% of time. For me boating isn’t a hassle, it’s a blessing, and one that I jump at the chance to do every chance I get!

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/27/21 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀
Hassling with boat? Boating is life Whistlebritches! Boating is fun. Boating is the freedom to go wherever whenever you want! Boating is a Creed and preparing the boat for battle is part of the ritual! Blues are never in the same place for long especially in the fall and having the ability to go find where the fish are is what fishing from a boat is all about! Given the option to bank or boat I choose boat 100% of time. For me boating isn’t a hassle, it’s a blessing, and one that I jump at the chance to do every chance I get!

I agree May through mid-October.........of which I fish almost zero for blue cats these months.I guess I was just born a bank fisherman.........except for summer
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/27/21 11:32 AM

thumb

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/27/21 11:58 AM

We’re on the water every week year round but my favorite time of year to be on the water is October through March. Fewer boats and bigger fish. We Bluecat all year long.

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/27/21 10:04 PM

We’re on the water every week year round but my favorite time of year to be on the water is October through March. Fewer boats and bigger fish. We Bluecat all year long.

I guess I need summer blue cat lessons..........I have just above zero luck June through September.This is why crappie,whites and hybrids are my summer targets

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/27/21 11:12 PM

I am always saying I need to catch some crappie or I need to go after some Sandies... Never happens. When I fish, I fish for blues. just can't pull myself away from them...

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/28/21 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Whistlebritches

I guess I need summer blue cat lessons..........I have just above zero luck June through September.This is why crappie,whites and hybrids are my summer targets

Blues are ever changing…in June we’re on humps, ledges, and points in mid depth from 10-30 ft.

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/28/21 01:14 PM

I want to weigh in on the "hassling with the boat" issue. I am not a young man anymore but not so old that I can't deal with loading and unloading the boat. I keep the boat in the marina. For me the money to rent a slip is well worth it. Especially when I have my Texas Tornado with me. Chris you are a young guy in good physical condition and for you it doesn't even register on the physical exertion scale. I envy the freedom you have to decide where you want to go on any given weekend.

I am lucky to be close to Lavon like I am. It is easy to get to and I just park the truck, hop in the boat and go. I love that convenience. I get more time on the water which is all I'm after. I keep saying I'm gonna fix up the slip like some of the other guys at the marina. A refrigerator, grill, storage and some furniture. I could live out there...

Aside from soaking baits I just love being at the lake. I love the people I meet there and the lifestyle of being out there as much as I can. So, I understand the issue of hassling with the boat. It can be a lot of work for some of us. For others, not so much. It all boils down to how much we want it. If we are motivated to get out there by an intense passion for our sport, we will do or pay what we have to. If we just think maybe it would be ok, then we might not.

Like Chris, for me, this is life! It is all I want to do. If I didn't have to work, I'd be out there seven days a week. To each his own. God Bless and tight lines y'all.

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/28/21 01:34 PM

If I was on a lake like your Tim I would travel fish a lot less. Lol. I do like loading up the boat and traveling to fish with friends and family every chance I get. It’s always an adventure and some of my best memories! We used to keep our boat at the marina but I just found it easier to do all the prep work necessary at my house and keep the boat loaded and ready to roll at all times. I like being able to walk out my back door and clean The War Machine and check to make sure I have everything ready for battle. I live a mile from the lake so I can be on the water in 15 minutes should I choose to go fish. I think boating is more of a hassle for guys that don’t do it every week but we’ve been doing it so long it’s become second nature. When I take time off from fishing is when it becomes a real hassle with forgetting trolling motor remotes, letting line get to old, forgetting to repair cast nets, etc.. But when I go all the time it’s a well oiled machine and I’m not shooting myself in the foot by forgetting things.
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/28/21 06:05 PM

I love motoring around on my small 16 foot boat. Just heading out making waves with a plan and big expectations is just awesome for me.

I have had some of the most amazing views and best of times in our big Texas lakes, and even though Lake Lavon is almost next door for me, it's nice to try other lakes as well with the boat and the trailer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Catching is great, but any time on the water is precious.
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/28/21 06:17 PM

It's all about the stories...

The winter bite.

A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and entered El Gato's friendly fishing competition and get together on Lake Lewisville. I got skunked and despite the high winds had a great time and met some really nice folks. I met Henry from Midlothian, a really nice guy and friend of Geno, aka Skeetmaster. As we had high winds and we both have small boats, we decided to stick together, choosing to stay close to the shore line. We had a great time and followed each other around (he caught some, I didn't) both laughing like little kids as we headed back together bouncing off the waves in what was a quite wet ride.

Well, we stayed in touch.

Henry invited me to come fish Lake Tawakoni on his boat (mine had issues), and as can happen the plan went south when he got called out. We tried again but my turn to bail.

Henry was hoping to get out this weekend but work got in the way, and last minute he managed to get some time in so off he went.

He called me earlier, as excited as a little kid. This was why...

[Linked Image]

That is a 72 pound (gasp) bluecat, his PB.

[Linked Image]

That is the fish up against his 36 inch scale.

He told me he had another take down while fighting the big fish. He said it was screaming his drag and fought real hard all the way in.

Looking forward to joining him soon on Tawakoni hopefully.

FYI he caught it in 35 feet of water.

Re: I love Fall and Winter - 11/29/21 12:34 AM

Lots of factors on my part.......I have been experiencing some sciatic nerve issues,much easier to unload when the lake is up,been windy as all get out on my days off so on and so forth.I think once I rid myself of my current bass boat,which I have no love for,and find me a center console or deck boat my attitude towards boating will change significantly. If the wind isn't ridiculously high this weekend I may get the boat out............but not much mule deer season left up in the panhandle.DECISIONS,DECISIONS!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum