Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Lavon Redemption

Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Lake Lavon Redemption - 10/22/21 02:47 AM

Being retired and getting the cat fishing 'bug', I have been fishing Lavon frequently of late, but despite all the advice and coaching haven't had much luck the last few trips, and no decent size blue cats in sight.

I realize it's transition time, and find it funny when the collective tells me the fish can be absolutely anywhere at the moment, but not headed up the creeks yet. My last trip was 15mph winds gusting to 20, which then changed to 25, so was an interesting day to say the least.

Mmmm...

So today, heading out for another bash, wind was forecast 10mph*

(short video)
https://maddbrit.smugmug.com/Family/Retirement-in-Allen/i-g8hXP7P/A

(yes I talk funny)

Another beautiful day.

[Linked Image]

* Wind seemed much higher, and white caps on the water and my anemometer confirmed this.

[Linked Image]

Wind was brisk from the NE, so first up tried a couple of creeks on the southern side, positioning myself so that the wind would blow me along the creek bed to the source. No bites, but I did manage to snag my rigs not once but twice. Urgh!

I then tried Plan B and headed to the far north of the lake just south of the bridge over the road to Greenville, choosing to troll south adjacent/east to the exposed timber. It was a bumpy wet ride to say the least, but hey I was glad for my albeit small Deep V boat. No bites for the first 20 minutes then BOOM! A big take down on a large shad head.

[Linked Image]

He didn't put up that big a fight till he saw my boat, then it was off to the races. NOTE: must remember to reset my drag after tightening it up when I snagged on the bottom....DOH!

[Linked Image]

Thirty four inches and 19 pounds. Happy Texas Brit!

A good day to learn how to my deploy two new drift socks. They worked great bringing my drift speed down to 0.5mph in 15 mph winds.

A couple more smaller fun sizers, both the same size.

[Linked Image]

A very good day. It felt great to get some more good size catfish in the boat.

I redeemed myself on Lavon today.

[Linked Image]

Now to have repeat experience on Sunday at our get together. I can't wait!!

Re: Lake Lavon Redemption - 10/22/21 03:07 AM

To add I was lucky as I came out to the lake the day before to get bait, and managed to snag some good size shad - 5 to 6 inches, that I used today. I found it challenging getting any decent size bait this morning, just tiny fish 2 to 3 inches.
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Lake Lavon Redemption - 10/22/21 03:23 AM

thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Lavon Redemption - 10/22/21 03:55 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Lake Lavon Redemption - 10/22/21 10:28 AM

Hell yah ! You seem to be getting the hang of it all !
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Lake Lavon Redemption - 10/22/21 11:11 AM

I'm thinking of changing your name from Blue Cat Bob to War and Peace Bob. Your posts are always a good story! popcorn
Nice job on the 19 pounder Bob. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone on Sunday!
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Lake Lavon Redemption - 10/22/21 11:43 AM

thumb
Posted By: Ace0117

Re: Lake Lavon Redemption - 10/28/21 03:05 AM

Nice haul! I’m planning to go to Lake Lavon with my dad but we are catfishing from the bank, could you recommend a good spot?

Re: Lake Lavon Redemption - 10/28/21 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ace0117
Nice haul! I’m planning to go to Lake Lavon with my dad but we are catfishing from the bank, could you recommend a good spot?

Being a n00by I am probably the wrong person to ask, but try and fish where the wind is blowing in, as uncomfortable as that seems, the wind blows the food/bait.

Good luck!
Posted By: Gophish

Re: Lake Lavon Redemption - 10/29/21 01:35 AM

Good advice from Texas Brit. The wave action stirs up the bottom, moving seeds and bait around.
Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: Lake Lavon Redemption - 11/01/21 01:08 AM

Nice job
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum