Texas Fishing Forum

It's the most wonderful time of the year!!!

Posted By: Catfish Tim

It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/16/21 07:40 PM

Okay, I'm no Andy Williams but I am as excited as a little kid at Christmas. I knew with the temps down this morning and the wind up, it was gonna be a good day on the water. Started out a little slow mainly I think because the wind was almost calm. Weatherman strikes again...

As the morning went on, the wind slowly came back and about 11.00 it was good. Straight out of the North. When that happened it was like somebody flipped a switch and I almost couldn't keep up with 6 rods out. First fish of a triple was a 30, next was an eater Wyatt landed and the third was about three shad shy of 20 pounds. That was awesome!

The fish are stacking up in the Northern parts of the lake. They are right where they should be this time of year. Staging up where the fresh water comes into the lake. We started seeing fish in about 25 feet and the shallower it got, the more fish we saw up to about 12 feet.

Going to try again tomorrow. I know the wind is forecast to be minimal but the temperature of the water is getting down close to the 70 degree mark. I think we stand a chance of hitting a couple more toads. Good luck to everyone tomorrow...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/16/21 08:41 PM

Nice work buddy!! Not much wind tomorrow so looks like we’ll be power drifting or anchoring…need some good luck after a long layoff!!🍀🍀🍀
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/16/21 09:04 PM

Nice job What was water temp down to this morning?
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/16/21 09:06 PM

thumb
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/17/21 04:04 AM

cheers
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/17/21 11:42 AM

Bravo, Tim!

Those fish look in great shape as well.

Weekend stuff with my wife for me this weekend but will get back at it next week.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/17/21 08:18 PM

Weird how the difference in Wind in areas so close. When it started to blow here, it was out of the Southeast.

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/17/21 08:48 PM

Thanks fellas... Yesterday was a blast. Water temp was about 73 when we set out. came up pretty quick with the bluebird sky. Wind was straight out of the north. Today, we went out to see if the bite was still there. Went to early church, got out to the marina about 9:15. Got bait easy, threw 6 or 7 times and on the 7th we loaded up. About 30 or so 7 to 8 inch shad so we were good to go. Headed North with a load of bait and high hopes even though the water was slick. Yesterday with the North wind we drifted towards the South. Today the little wind there was came out of the South. It wasn't quite enough to pull boards with but with a little help from the trolling motor, we were at about .6 mph which seems to be the sweet spot for me when pulling boards. We set up and started with a nice spread of 4 planer boards and 2 long lines in the middle. About 20 minutes in one of the long lines goes down. Unfortunately at the same time so did my BCF rod sock thanks to my little Texas Tornado. The long line bite was a nice skunk buster about 8 or 9 pounds. Just about to get done with him and the other long line goes down. Not a huge take down but when I picked it up I could tell it was a solid fish. I told Wyatt to get the net. He knows when I say that things are getting serious. We get him in the net, then in the boat and he scaled at 35 pounds! Solid fish, day made.

We get a couple more bigger eaters, 6 to 8 pounds. Then one of the planer boards gets pulled under like a bluegill pullin down a thill pencil float. I grab it and start reeling and he is strippin drag like crazy. I gain a little, he takes it back. We went back and forth like that for a few minutes and then he started running at the boat. I'm keepin up with him until he does a u turn and starts strippin drag again. I get him to the boat and like all big blues he heads for the bottom when he saw me. I love that part. Thats when you can really tell what kind of fish you got on the line. Once more we get him in the net and then in the boat and then on the scale. This toad was 40 pounds! Wyatt then gets on another good take down that ended up being a 10 pounder. We started in 25 feet of water and as long as we stayed at that depth or a little shallower we were marking fish.

What a great weekend! We probably had a total of 175 pounds with the big fish coming in at 20, 30, 35 and 40. I am so stoked for the El Gato Azul get together next weekend. Looking forward to meeting a lot of you there. God Bless and Tight Lines y'all!

[Linked Image]
Chewed up hands are a sign of a good day...
[Linked Image]
Slime is another sign of a good day...
[Linked Image]
35 pounder
[Linked Image]
40 pounder
[Linked Image]
Wyatt closed us out with a nice 7 pounder...
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/17/21 09:26 PM

Tim - you are a machine! Nice work!

Look forward to meeting a lot of you next week! Maybe learning some more too!

Ken
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/17/21 09:36 PM

Solid post and solid fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/18/21 12:46 AM

175 pounds of whiskers in one weekend?

The stuff dreams are made of fo sure!

The pic of the little guy holding that blue is precious. Memories to last a lifetime for the little fella.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/18/21 11:43 AM

Y’all smoked em Tim!!! Way to go buddy! Your on fire! flame
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/18/21 01:33 PM

Ohhhh yah ! banana

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/18/21 06:09 PM

I hope this ju ju lasts until next weekend! I'm gonna try and add a couple secret weapons to Sandy Too before we head out Sunday Morning... grin
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: It's the most wonderful time of the year!!! - 10/20/21 07:23 PM

The wind scared me off last Saturday. But this weekend I hope to just come close to what you experienced.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum