Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Holders

Posted By: BriannShell

Rod Holders - 10/14/21 04:01 PM

Interested to hear what yall are using and any opinions. I'm looking at Monster and Driftmaster.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 04:15 PM

I ran driftmasters for 15 yrs. Switched to Monsters last year and prefer them over driftmasters. This year I got some smackdowns for the back of the boat and they are the best by far. The metal is turned down and is tucked away which minimizes snagging your nets or your pant leg of your shorts. I was very happy with my monsters but I snagged the cuff of my shorts on them several times and so did my wife. It was very scary when it happened because it almost dumped us face down in 1 ft of water. Luckily I grabbed my wife when it happened or she would have gone down face first at the shore. I was able to barely catch myself when it happened to me both times or I would have broken my neck. The other benefit of the smackdowns is you can put 2 rods in 1 rod holder without interfering with the function of either rod. Smackdown gets my vote and I’ve used pretty much every kind of rod holders under the sun.
[Linked Image]

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 04:25 PM

[Linked Image]

Here are the monsters. The metal sticking up will snag your shorts, your cast net, and your landing net. Great rod holders but the smackdowns don’t have that metal sticking up to snag stuff.

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 04:28 PM

One last thing, my reels sit in these smackdowns snug and don’t move around like they do in Driftmasters or Monsters.

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 05:12 PM

Thank u sir and great looking set up....love the color

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀
One last thing, my reels sit in these smackdowns snug and don’t move around like they do in Driftmasters or Monsters.

How are they with spinning reels

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by BriannShell

Thanks Brian! I run Shimano Tekota 600 and Abu 6500 but I will put some spinning reels in both the smackdowns and the monsters tonight and let you know what I think.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 05:50 PM

Chris are those the new Mul-T-Bars you have been talking about? If so we need a video
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 05:51 PM

I'll 2nd the SmackDowns (and the MulTbars). Smackdowns are an all around holder. Drift/pull boards/anchor, well designed for all of it. I also utilize B-ready's on the sides and front of my boat. I've had the b-ready's on for a LONG time and really have no complaints about them, except for loosening up on occasion and spinning on the mount.

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 05:59 PM

I'll 2nd the SmackDowns (and the MulTbars). Smackdowns are an all around holder. Drift/pull boards/anchor, well designed for all of it. I also utilize B-ready's on the sides and front of my boat. I've had the b-ready's on for a LONG time and really have no complaints about them, except for loosening up on occasion and spinning on the mount.

I've use spinning reels successfully with them with live baiting for striper.

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 06:14 PM

I also have bee-ready down both sides of my boat like Trent and like them for anchor fishing but they aren’t very good for drifting and are terrible for pulling boards. Great low profile down the sides though.

Re: Rod Holders - 10/14/21 06:24 PM

These are the new MulTbars Matt but he hasn’t sent the adjustable pins yet because he has to find a supplier who can make them. Right now they are adjustable with an Allen wrench instead of a tire iron like the old version. When fully complete the Allen wrench bolts will have a knob that will allow you to adjust them without a tool. It’s still a work in progress but the mutTbars are a really nice addition for hardcore catfisherman. Even if you are a seasonal catfisherman you can remove them completely during off-season. I think I’m gonna really like these and it will eliminate having to get up on the deck when we get a takedown.

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 12:08 AM

New boat is supposed to get here in December and definitely going to go with the smackdowns. Thanks!!
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 11:44 AM

New boat is supposed to get here in December and definitely going to go with the smackdowns. Thanks!!

New boat? Details man! Details!

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish Tim

New boat? Details man! Details!

Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18 DLX Pontoon....I've been chasing ditch pickles and still love to but all of my friends have bass boats I can get on so I sold my Skeeter and went to something with a little more room and comfort. I love fishing for all species and thought I could do a little of everything with this and still bass fish with my buddies. I'd really love to get into fishing for some of the big blues.

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 02:20 PM

You won’t miss that Bass boat for 1 second Briann! Ive owned just about every type of boat from Jon boats, deep-v, Bass boats, ski boats, Baja power boat, pontoons, to my bay boat I currently have. Bass boats are a beating to catfish out of while pontoons are the Cadillacs of the lake. I recommend getting at least (2) 78” drift socks and 3 if you want to fish when it’s windy. Bass Pro has some good 78” socks. Once you have some success at Bluecatn you’ll never want to Bass fish again and that’s no joke!

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-extreme-drift-anchor

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 02:36 PM

You won’t miss that Bass boat for 1 second Briann! Ive owned just about every type of boat from Jon boats, deep-v, Bass boats, ski boats, Baja power boat, pontoons, to my bay boat I currently have. Bass boats are a beating to catfish out of while pontoons are the Cadillacs of the lake. I recommend getting at least (2) 78” drift socks and 3 if you want to fish when it’s windy. Bass Pro has some good 78” socks. Once you have some success at Bluecatn you’ll never want to Bass fish again and that’s no joke!

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-extreme-drift-anchor

I appreciate that....drift socks was on my list and yes getting catfish slime out of my carpet was a major pain!! I also need to get and learn to throw a cast net.
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 02:37 PM

^ true what El Gato said.

After catching a 22 pound blue, thanks totally to Catfish Tim, I’m totally hooked. Big bass fight, big catfish go into battle! After that fish came onto the boat I was as excited as a kid. No doubt Tim thought it was funny, but oh man what a buzz!!

I bought my first boat, a small used deep V this year. It’s a nice boat and I enjoy the high gunnels in choppy conditions, but with my phat butt I am going to need a bigger boat.

PS hey Brian, I can help show you how NOT to cast a bait net!!! Jejejeje!

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 03:08 PM

Nice,

I had looked pretty hard at one of those a year ago but just couldn't pull the trigger. I really liked the idea of the space, especially when you have a Texas Tornado on board most of the time. I drift a lot and I think it would be good for that, but when I'm up in the trees and maneuvering in skinny water, I thought it might be less capable. If I was gonna do some all night flathead fishing, I think it would be great. I like my deep vee hull for rough water. I've seen too many videos of pontoons taking a nose dive. My goal now is to work toward upgrading to a Crestliner Commander. My wife wanted me to get the pontoon too. She could get on and off a lot easier but she would only come out a few times a year and I can rent one if we want to have a day out on the water together.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
Nice,

I had looked pretty hard at one of those a year ago but just couldn't pull the trigger. I really liked the idea of the space, especially when you have a Texas Tornado on board most of the time. I drift a lot and I think it would be good for that, but when I'm up in the trees and maneuvering in skinny water, I thought it might be less capable. If I was gonna do some all night flathead fishing, I think it would be great. I like my deep vee hull for rough water. I've seen too many videos of pontoons taking a nose dive. My goal now is to work toward upgrading to a Crestliner Commander. My wife wanted me to get the pontoon too. She could get on and off a lot easier but she would only come out a few times a year and I can rent one if we want to have a day out on the water together.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The wife is thrilled with the toon purchase!

After I ordered this one I saw Pontoon and Tritoons from Anglers Qwest! Wow!!! After I retire I may sell this one and upgrade to one of those as a retirement present to myself.

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 04:36 PM

Those Tri-toons are beasts! I had a Bennington Tri-Toon with, get this, a performance package...lol. it was something else to to have your pontoon get up and plane out on top of the water!!

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 05:00 PM

Angler Qwest is the Cadillac of fishing pontoons. I looked at them too but the price tag WOW! They are proud of those things...
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Rod Holders - 10/15/21 08:19 PM

I have been very impressed with our Tritoon. I wanted a center console when I sold the bass boat. Wife wanted a toon... Was purchased primarily for family playing on Cedar Creek lake, which is a large north-south running lake if not familiar, and can get rough in a hurry. I have put more hours on it fishing than the boys have tubing...

It handles rough water great! I have a 200 hp Yamaha and it planes out and runs good. It does catch wind like all toons do, but all in all, has been a great boat for the family.

Ken
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum