Texas Fishing Forum

Turtles

Posted By: Nickbyrd

Turtles - 10/04/21 01:47 PM

How do all of you gentlmen deal with those pesky little turtles?
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Turtles - 10/04/21 09:22 PM

Fish deeper water
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Turtles - 10/04/21 11:40 PM

12 gauge. LOL

Re: Turtles - 10/05/21 01:41 AM

Both are fairly descent answers lol
Posted By: Capp Peace fishing guide

Re: Turtles - 10/06/21 01:18 PM

Getting your bait off the bottom sometimes helps too
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Turtles - 10/07/21 01:04 PM

Kids and I like to carp fish, but all our carp locations are fairly shallow and full of turtles at the moment. When I fish deeper I find catfish and no turtles.
Posted By: tomatosplat

Re: Turtles - 10/17/21 09:39 PM

I bringer in & stab that bastard bait stealing hell-monster down the throat with my bowie. (Unless of course, it's a protected species. Then I rough'em up with a few thumps to the head before I unhook'em) they dont learn, but I take a picture of the bottom of their carapace. Compare them with others I've caught. If they gotta go, I use the legs for bait.

Do not use protected species for bait! Heafty penalties. Jail time also in some cases.

A trailer hook will allow easier landings for bottle nose, leather backs and red ears in water without current. Steel leader ensures they dont claw or bite your line. If you traumatize them, they're less likely to mess with you on the same trip. And because I put them in time out: (bucket), they dont return to my hooks.

Fishing canals and the Trinity river in Irving, TX

Re: Turtles - 10/18/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by tomatosplat
I bringer in & stab that bastard bait stealing hell-monster down the throat with my bowie. (Unless of course, it's a protected species. Then I rough'em up with a few thumps to the head before I unhook'em) they dont learn, but I take a picture of the bottom of their carapace. Compare them with others I've caught. If they gotta go, I use the legs for bait.

Do not use protected species for bait! Heafty penalties. Jail time also in some cases.

A trailer hook will allow easier landings for bottle nose, leather backs and red ears in water without current. Steel leader ensures they dont claw or bite your line. If you traumatize them, they're less likely to mess with you on the same trip. And because I put them in time out: (bucket), they dont return to my hooks.

Fishing canals and the Trinity river in Irving, TX

I can dig it lol cool
Posted By: Super8mm

Re: Turtles - 10/18/21 05:54 PM

For a good time take some bacon and put some on a floating lure and chunk it out there. Now you will see all the heads popup and they come charging for it and they can put up a good fight roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum