Texas Fishing Forum

Punch bait how to fish it?

Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Punch bait how to fish it? - 08/27/21 03:33 PM

I'm a punch bait noob. What gear and set up? I have the rods and reels just never have used this. Comments welcomed
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Punch bait how to fish it? - 08/27/21 05:03 PM

Go watch these videos. He makes a great bait also.

https://www.cjsbait.com/faqs
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Punch bait how to fish it? - 09/11/21 10:32 PM

I only use it under a slip bobber myself. tried it once or twice deep, and didn't have much luck. Works fantastic on baited docks (soured wheat or range cubes) in the summer, in the parts shaded from the morning sun.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Punch bait how to fish it? - 09/12/21 01:05 AM

Bought some punch bait when my nephew was in town. Went out to a pond in Denton. Used a 1/4 oz slip weight, bead then a swivel and a 8 inch or so leader with a treble hook (Do not know what size) Just cast it out and tight lined it while I bass fished and I did not catch anything. He caught a bunch of channels and a couple bullhead. I suppose this is the easiest method. I would go heavier weight if the wind is up or fishing deeper.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Punch bait how to fish it? - 09/13/21 01:27 PM

My punch bait setup is a #6 or #4 treble hook, and then about 14 inches up the line I place a big split shot.
I usually fish it straight down off the side of the boat until it reaches bottom and then turn the reel handle about 1 or 2 turns off the bottom tight lining it.
Casting out randomly, I will wait until it hits bottom then take up slack and watch my line for the slightest twitch of my line, and there have been many times you will notice a sudden slack in your line or the line tightens up when you've held the rod steady. The bite can be super slight, and not that fish slamming bite you get with other baits.
I hold the rod in my hand so that I'm ready, and I don't place my rod in a holder.
You will miss a lot of fish not attending the rod.
Fishing a cork you will miss fish as well.
Fishing punch bait takes a certain feel in my opinion, and I've been using punchbait for many, many years, and it's my favorite bait if I'm looking for a fish fry.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum