Texas Fishing Forum

Caught a few on a full moon

Posted By: KEGracing

Caught a few on a full moon - 08/23/21 01:43 AM

Had not had a chance to get out for a couple of weeks... work always gets in the way of fun. School and football started... you all know the drill.

Nathan and I decided to go do a little night fishing since it was so hot out, and we had a full moon. Left the dock about 8, right at sun down. Knew the wind had been out of the south all day, and decided to go graph some of the south facing shore lines and drop offs, figuring bait might be blown up that direction. Found bait easy around the dock, and off we went. Short ride and first place we started scanning, marked bait and fish. Found most of them in about 15' on edges that were going out into 25' water.

I am still learning how to use the planer boards, and it was dark now, so I decided to not fight that and just drift a few baits old school. Had fresh shad and bluegill, and some jello chicken.

Had just gotten all the rods out and drift sock set, and had a good takedown. Nice eater size fish. Few minutes later another, and another. Moved to another point, and was slow, moved to more fish we found, and it got hot for a little while with some doubles. Caught a couple of nice fish, nothing huge, but a lot of fun. Probably caught 20 - 25 fish between 9 11:30. Couple of dinks, and couple of nicer fish, but most just good solid eaters. About 11:30 the bite just stopped... went back to first place we fished, still marking fish but drifted half hour and not a bite. Decided to call it a night. We kept 3 for dinner (just finished eating - fried some and grilled some - left overs for taco's later this week). Everything else released for another day and to become toads!

Even with it being dark and a steady breeze, it was still hot, even at midnight. Just a muggy sauna. Water was 90 degrees. I love Texas, but sometimes it is just too dang hot... for a old fat man at least. I am looking forward to some cooler weather!

This was nothing like an El Gato video, but still a lot of fun! Nathan caught the biggest, and talked trash all night and was still at it this morning. Always good when you can get your 14 yr old off of a video game and cell phone for a little while, and even better when they smile and tell you they had fun.

Tight lines yall!

Ken

Attached picture DD12411B-0ACB-489F-95B0-585E89D8FEA1.jpeg
Attached picture D2FC5DC3-1D1E-4296-8B27-667E482C9192.jpeg
Attached picture 73F07EEF-EC62-40A7-984F-A3420013CC14.jpeg
Posted By: Flip Flop Fisher

Re: Caught a few on a full moon - 08/23/21 02:04 AM

great night and nice pics
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Caught a few on a full moon - 08/23/21 02:15 AM

Good job
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Caught a few on a full moon - 08/23/21 02:21 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Caught a few on a full moon - 08/23/21 10:41 AM

Heck yeah! Nice job. El Gato sets the bar kinda high don't he? grin

I'm with you on getting the kids off the screens. Anytime you can do that you get the win.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Caught a few on a full moon - 08/23/21 01:25 PM

Nice work Ken! I use glow sticks on my planer boards at night. I use the long skinny ones that kids make bracelets and necklaces with. There is a small hole in the top of most planer board that is there for this purpose. And Ken, our Saturday night trip was about like y’all’s buddy. We marked big fish but couldn’t get one in the boat!
Posted By: cvitale

Re: Caught a few on a full moon - 08/23/21 05:05 PM

Good Job!
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: Caught a few on a full moon - 08/23/21 10:12 PM

Excellent!!!

(note to self, get lights for the boat..).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum