Texas Fishing Forum

Catfish bait competition!

Posted By: Ryanb98

Catfish bait competition! - 08/22/21 09:53 PM

So I’ve decided to do a catfish bait competition to compare baits. I have no clue if someone has done this or not yet but I’m going to do it. I’ve emailed multiple bait companies and Cj’s has sent me 3 tubs to compare to what else is out there. So this competition is only with prepared baits. If any of y’all know of any brands that y’all would like to see in this let me know and I’ll try to get a tub of whatever it is. I’m in the Houston area so I’m goin to hold this on lake Conroe one weekend fishing from the bank.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/22/21 09:57 PM

Look forward to your findings!
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/22/21 11:26 PM

Be sure and include Stubby’s ! Littlewheel can fix you up…. thumb
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/23/21 10:26 AM

How about Team Catfish Secret Seven? I tried it, did not have very good luck with it. Be interested to see how it stands up to some of the others...
Posted By: JeffroNBZ

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/23/21 11:01 AM

Benny Roberts Sure Shot if you can still find any…….or Quanah Catfish Bait if it was still around.
2 tried and true classic baits.
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/23/21 12:11 PM

Well, make it interesting.

Please include Catfish Charlie, and Magic Bait (little dog logs in a bag), available at Walmart.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/23/21 01:15 PM

You should get some of those dehydrated shad from the store that are dyed all sorts of whacked out colors. I am sure those slay.
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/24/21 02:21 AM

Sure shot is still around bud. Have to go to Decatur to pick up
Posted By: shellj22

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/25/21 01:47 PM

Please include jewels catfish bait, works well at Whitney

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/26/21 02:18 PM

So when are you going?

Can't wait to see the results, cause I know that ALL of the baits mentioned will catch fish, I just wonder which works best.

Please take into consideration the mess and stink involved in the judging.
Posted By: JRammit

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/26/21 07:06 PM

Add Danny Kings to the list... I haven't tried many other prepared baits because DK's works so well I don't want to buy anything else

There are several head to head bait comparisons on YouTube, the results of which are mixed and inconclusive... But every one I've seen is done on one trip in one spot, I'm not aware of any that have tracked results over multiple days and multiple places
Posted By: shellj22

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/26/21 11:04 PM

Don’t forget c j punch bait

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/27/21 12:32 AM

Hello all sorry to not replying. I’m going to use the baits on lake Conroe and in some creeks by my house. I probably will not be able to include every single bait due to the fact that I’d spend to much and be stuck with a bunch of baits haha. I have 3 tubs of punch bait cj’s donated to me for this and it’s there crawfish, shad, and wild hopper bait. I probably should have mentioned that I am trying to stick with Punch baits. I have used stubbies along time ago but I did not catch anything on it due to the fact that I found out you should chum before you use it. So I will not be chumming any areas. I am doing this fishing from the back of my aunts Lakehouse on Conroe.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/27/21 02:19 AM

You don’t HAVE to chum before using Stubby’s. It’s better to chum with any bait you use. If you didn’t catch fish with Stubby’s , there weren’t any remotely close to the area.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/27/21 02:54 AM

Stubby’s is great bait but it takes a lot more than great bait to be a great angler. Littlewheel is at the top of his game and he’d load the boat with any of the top 20 prepared baits on the market. The magic is in the angler and not the bait.

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/27/21 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀
Stubby’s is great bait but it takes a lot more than great bait to be a great angler. Littlewheel is at the top of his game and he’d load the boat with any of the top 20 prepared baits on the market. The magic is in the angler and not the bait.

I appreciate the kind words brother. Truth is , any of those baits will catch fish. MANY times a week I see other guys fishing real close or on one of my holes that we absolutely hammer smack the fish. Well, way more often than not, they don’t do so well. I see what they are using , or ask them, and usually they are using something else. Yes, they will catch a couple here and there. I can move right to the spot after they leave and throw down on the fish. Exactly where they were just fishing. Maybe it is technique, maybe it is just luck. I can also toss a handful of Stubby’s to them, give them a quick tutorial and they go to catching.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/27/21 04:08 AM

I know 5 high level channel cats anglers and y’all all use a different bait to fill the boat. Stubby’s, Sure Shot, CJs, DK, or J pig. The one thing y’all all have in common is experience. The flip side to that is I know a bunch of anglers that can rarely fill the boat no matter what bait they are using. It’s the angler!

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/27/21 04:21 AM

I’ll go with that Amigo!
Posted By: CATFISH KILLER

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/27/21 09:12 PM

Don’t Forget about Big Marv’s Bait. It is the best on lakes in south Texas and Lake Tawokoni.
Posted By: pineywoods

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/29/21 04:04 PM

I catch plenty since I learned about Stubby's. I was catching them good on CJs punch bait too, but I didn't like coming home smelling like CJ's. Fishing in a kayak keeps you too close to the stink!

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/30/21 12:26 AM

Okay since everyone is telling me to include stubby’s I will. Can I get a phone number to purchase it? Also I’d like to get a hold of some big marvs for this competition then that’s all I will include
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/30/21 12:51 AM

Here is a cell phone for Big Marv's from a few years ago. Probably still good.

(830) 583-5913

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/30/21 02:24 AM

Stubby’s number is (817) 366-5492. We will be making bait in the morning so tomorrow afternoon would be better to call
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/31/21 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by pineywoods
I catch plenty since I learned about Stubby's. I was catching them good on CJs punch bait too, but I didn't like coming home smelling like CJ's. Fishing in a kayak keeps you too close to the stink!

Whether Stubby’s is better bait than XYZ Stinkola can be debated. What cannot be debated is the convenience of a bait that can be put on your hook, rinsed off of your hands with no residual smell, and STILL CATCH FISH ! thumb

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 08/31/21 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Drycreek3189
Originally Posted by pineywoods

Whether Stubby’s is better bait than XYZ Stinkola can be debated. What cannot be debated is the convenience of a bait that can be put on your hook, rinsed off of your hands with no residual smell, and STILL CATCH FISH ! thumb

True words

Re: Catfish bait competition! - 09/01/21 01:21 PM

Queue up the theme music for "Jeopardy".

We're waiting juggle confused 3 noidea sleep sigh
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum