Texas Fishing Forum

The Hunt for Blue October

Posted By: Catfish Tim

The Hunt for Blue October - 06/27/21 02:10 PM

I'm looking forward to the trophy season (already). I'm starting to stock up on gear. Got a new Bait Buster Menhaden net. Going to get a taped net next. Got 1500 yards of new Reaction Tackle 65 pound braid, Think I'm pretty good on terminal tackle except for hooks. Need to place an order for some Whisker Seeker triple threat 8/0 and 10/0. I think it's about time for some new cold weather gear too. My current set is 6 or 7 years old and starting to feel a little thin.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: The Hunt for Blue October - 06/27/21 08:13 PM

You are going to do real well when it cools off! If you are getting ready now??! You gonna slay em amigo!
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: The Hunt for Blue October - 06/27/21 08:14 PM

I see the net could also come in green? Never seen a green throw net. Wonder if that would be more "stealthy"? Kind of blend in better than bright white?
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: The Hunt for Blue October - 06/28/21 02:27 AM

October cannot get here soon enough!!!
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: The Hunt for Blue October - 06/28/21 06:31 AM

It will be here before you know it Tim! I gear up in September. We limp along all summer until then catching eaters but by Oct 1 I’m always ready.

Re: The Hunt for Blue October - 06/28/21 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
It will be here before you know it Tim! I gear up in September. We limp along all summer until then catching eaters but by Oct 1 I’m always ready.

This makes me tingly all over... Hahahaha. I can't wait for the big girls to come out and play!

Re: The Hunt for Blue October - 06/28/21 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
I see the net could also come in green? Never seen a green throw net. Wonder if that would be more "stealthy"? Kind of blend in better than bright white?

They do have some nets that come in green but this one does not. I am a fan of the Lee Fisher nets. I just think they are tougher than the Fitec nets. I have both and I am throwing a beat up Fitec right now. I have mended the panels and the brail lines too many times to count and it still catches bait. As with most things it is just a matter of personal preference. I really like the cuff Fitec puts on their nets. I wish the Bait Busters would come like that.

Re: The Hunt for Blue October - 06/29/21 12:56 PM

Fitec is my favorite hands down. They make the best deep hole taped nets in the world in my opinion and I’ve yet to throw anything that is even close. I don’t have issues with durability and I have some nets that are 8 yrs old and I used one that was 5 yrs old this past Saturday. The Fitec is soft and silky right out of the package and even after 5 yrs the nets are still smooth. None of my other nets feel like that and I have a pile of every brand you can think of.
The Braille lines are the perfect strength in my opinion and usually will break if you get hung up. Braille lines are easy to repair and I repair them constantly, ripped nets are not.

Re: The Hunt for Blue October - 06/29/21 02:39 PM

I'm hoping that not throwing off the dock at the marina will make my nets last longer. I have not had a net last more than a year yet. I'm to the point that I don't even think about throwing on the dock. I head for open water and throw there. I know what you mean about the Fitec being soft right out of the bucket. That has been my experience too. I do like the super spreader I have. It is light and when I'm in less than 10 FOW it catches bait easy.

To each his own as they say... As long as it catches bait, I'm happy...

Re: The Hunt for Blue October - 06/29/21 03:42 PM

Docks are net killers Tim. When we used to keep our boat at the marina I had a preferred dock under the lights I knew was clear of snags. As long as I got there before daylight I could usually get bait under that lights. I rip my nets just like everybody when I have to go “searching” for bait.

I’m with ya on the nets, they are just a tool to get a job done like a rod or a hook. Some guys like a Ford and some guys a Chevy. They both will pull a boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum