Texas Fishing Forum

Lewisville 6-18

Posted By: šŸ€El Gato AzulšŸ€

Lewisville 6-18 - 06/19/21 05:58 AM

Got out and partied with the wife for my B-day. We had 3 key ingredients that practically guarantee a good time: Beers, Bikinis, and Bluecats! We got bait easy in 33 ft. There were big Buffalo all around where I dropped and I hit one or 2 on all 3 throws. We fished a hump in 17 ft and stayed busy all evening catching eaters and dinks. We ended up with 30 and made for a good B-day . Feeling blessed and very fortunate at 47. Canā€™t wait until Sunday Fatherā€™s Day fishing with my son. After Sundayā€™s trip were gonna switch things up and target some rough fish for a change so we can catch some drag burners.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pop r

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/19/21 03:47 PM

Awesome memories made for sure! Well done. cheers
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/19/21 06:23 PM

Awesome post and some solid fish. Living the dream! cheers
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/19/21 08:31 PM

roflmao thumb
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/20/21 11:06 AM

Happy birthday brother! Great way to spend your day.

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/20/21 02:47 PM

By the way, I have caught those dang buffalo a lot lately and they are hard on cast nets. Last one I caught yesterday tore a big hole in my last good net! Time to place an order...
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/21/21 03:33 AM

Happy Birthday!

Cut them buffalo up... They make good bait.
I fished for a few hours Sat morning. Had fresh shad chicken bluegill and buffalo. Buffalo was best and shad second .
Ken

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/21/21 12:14 PM

Thanks Amigos! I catch those big Buffalo all year long out of 2 of my deep Shad holes Tim. Buffalo like the same rocky area big Gizzards do. They are definitely hard on the net especially when you net 4 or 5 20lbrs at once! I use em occasionally for bait if I canā€™t get my preferred baits Ken but chopping one up isnā€™t much fun.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/23/21 12:53 AM

When you get into the big cats this winter, put out a 5 pound piece of buffalo. You obviously have the catfish thing down, but you need to catch an 80 to 100 pound cat. roflmao And I want to see the picture when Jaxon catches it.

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/23/21 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by šŸŒŠEl Gato AzulšŸŒŠ
Thanks Amigos! I catch those big Buffalo all year long out of 2 of my deep Shad holes Tim. Buffalo like the same rocky area big Gizzards do. They are definitely hard on the net especially when you net 4 or 5 20lbrs at once! I use em occasionally for bait if I canā€™t get my preferred baits Ken but chopping one up isnā€™t much fun.

You need chainsaw to filet one of those things. I've only ever caught one at a time. I can't imagine what 4 of em would do to your net. My new menhaden net is due to arrive tomorrow. Both of my old nets have so many knots tied in them they are starting to change color to the braid I used to mend them. I think I'll get a couple more while the gettin is good. Especially the taped net. Once the weather gets cold, they will be hard to find again I'm sure.

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/23/21 01:45 PM

I bought a serrated Bubba Blade several years ago just for Carp and Buffs Tim. Iā€™m a lot more willing to cut steaks with that thing. Iā€™m about to order me another Fitec net too buddy but I wonā€™t break it out until I get serious about catching big fish again in October. I keep a pile of old cast nets in my shop that I pull out of and repair for spring and summer fishing. When that cool rain hits the lake in October, my nets are new, my string is fresh, and my hooks are new and upsized. Right now my nets are tattered, my string is old and faded, and my hooks are dull from catching 1000 eaters this spring.

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/23/21 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by šŸŒŠEl Gato AzulšŸŒŠ
I bought a serrated Bubba Blade several years ago just for Carp and Buffs Tim. Iā€™m a lot more willing to cut steaks with that thing. Iā€™m about to order me another Fitec net too buddy but I wonā€™t break it out until I get serious about catching big fish again in October. I keep a pile of old cast nets in my shop that I pull out of and repair for spring and summer fishing. When that cool rain hits the lake in October, my nets are new, my string is fresh, and my hooks are new and upsized. Right now my nets are tattered, my string is old and faded, and my hooks are dull from catching 1000 eaters this spring.

Haha... Same here Chris. It seems like I'm always waiting for the next phase. Right now my nets are in bad shape, I'm using 5/0 hooks, my reels are low on line from snagging and breaking off, I need an oil change and a good power wash. I will take care of all that by the end of September and be ready to do battle come cool weather in October. I will have new nets, new line, new terminal tackle and everything else I need to set myself up for success.

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/23/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
When you get into the big cats this winter, put out a 5 pound piece of buffalo. You obviously have the catfish thing down, but you need to catch an 80 to 100 pound cat. roflmao And I want to see the picture when Jaxon catches it.

Weā€™re due for one over 70 Barry. Weā€™ve gotten at least 1 in the 60s last 3 yrs in a row. Iā€™ve hooked 2 that weā€™re over 70 but lost both. One of them was on Lewisville 2 Januaryā€™s ago and that is the only time Iā€™ve been spooled by a Blue. That fish hit like I snagged a car passing by. Couldnā€™t stop it, couldnā€™t turn it, all I could do is watch my line get stripped until it was gone. Whole thing lasted all of about 30 seconds. I dream about that fish all the time.

Iā€™ve been rigging up a 4 lb Carp head when I go to Twok . Not the head of a 4 lb carp but a head that weighs 4 lbs. When I go to Texoma I use a huge slab of Striper. They donā€™t ā€™t get much action but when that rod goes down you know itā€™s a good one. Jaxon is finally big enough to go hard all winter so weā€™ll finally be travel fishing which gives us a much better chance at finally landing a super fish.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/23/21 03:10 PM

I think about Texoma blue cats all the time since the previous short lived US record was caught there. Would love to see it happen again!!

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/24/21 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
I think about Texoma blue cats all the time since the previous short lived US record was caught there. Would love to see it happen again!!

I've fished with Cody Mullinex, the guy who held that record. I learned a lot from him. He is a great fisherman and a class act. I believe that fish is still the Texas stae record blue cat. 121 pounds if memory serves...

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/24/21 04:14 PM

Iā€™ve fished with Cody but we had a much different experience than you Tim. He showed up late for our trip. Said he left his jacket at home and had to go back to get it. Strike 1, Everybody has a bad day occasionally though. He was out catching bait in the marina when we arrived and we waited for 30 minutes while he scrounged up some bait. . He pulled up to his dock with a cooler of threadfin and 1 frozen Gizzard Shad! Said big baits are hard to come by and threads are just as good. What a joke! Tell that to somebody else cuz I know better. I told him I would have made a bait run and brought big baits with me had I know all he was bringing were threads and 1 frozen Gizzard. Strike #2. I kept a positive attitude even though my buddy Littlefeather(also a guide and outfitter) was already starting to make up his mind about him. We pulled out of the marina about 100 yrds and threw down and started tight lining on spot lock. Tight lining on spot lock? You Heard me right. Littlefeather just shook his head. Needless to say our lines werenā€™t tight. We never went more than a mile from Cedar Bayou marina and when I asked him to make a run up to an area I would be scanning he said he didnā€™t have enough fuel in the boat to run all over. What?? Strike 3! Your out!!! My buddy Littlefeather said that in all his years of fishing with guides from all over the world that Cody tried the least out of any he had ever fished with. What kind of guide shows up late with no bait and no fuel? Iā€™ve also fished with a ton of guides over the years and for someone who has such a good reputation he didnā€™t try very hard to put 2 seasoned Bluecat veterans on fish. Everyone has a bad day from time to time so maybe we just fished with him on his.

Yā€™all want to learn Texoma from the best Bluecat angler on that lake then book a trip with Daniel Armstrong: That kid is Dynamo on Texoma when it comes to Blues and one of the top Bluecat anglers in Texas really. His big tournament showings are proof. Heā€™s also willing to give me good intel when I drag my boat up there which raises the bar considerably for me. Last time I fished with Daniel he drove all the way to Twok and brought back a cooler full of 15-17ā€ Gizzard Shad. He said he knew he had experienced Bluecatrs on the boat and wanted to put up a good showing. Now thatā€™s dedication!

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/24/21 05:12 PM

Wow! talk about night and day... I know he has turned his attention to striper fishing. Maybe cuz it's easier. During the winter I think he still guides for blues but he won't even book a trip for blues from May to October. I've been out with him 3 or 4 times. We had one really bad trip, we couldn't get a fish to bite to save our life. I know he was mad as he!! because the harder he tried the quieter he got. We were all miserable cold and we only managed one fish that day. I felt bad for him really. Every other time we have had good trips. Like you say, everybody has a bad day but dang, to show up with no bait and no gas? That doesn't sound like the guy I know. But hey, I don't do guided catfish trips around here anymore. I take myself! Speaking of trips, I booked two days on the Tennessee River (or I should say two nights) with Backwoods Catfishing. Going to fly over there in August. I had a great time with Josh last year when we went and I can't wait to do it again...
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/24/21 11:08 PM

Dang it I could have swore I had commented on this post mad man that was an awesome trip bro and happy late birthday to you... Would love to get out there with you one of these days...but lately I have been taking care of Mama passing stones and the grandkids.... Great Post sir thumb I have an old video of something spooling me near the dam shocked
Posted By: Dan90210 ā˜®

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/27/21 08:35 PM

Man that looks like a great birthday!

Props!

Re: Lewisville 6-18 - 06/28/21 06:41 AM

Thanks Amigos! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum