Texas Fishing Forum

Flathead quest 2021

Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 02:17 PM

Now that my son is getting bigger he says he wants to go night fishing. This stirs up a lot of old memories for me as a kid growing up on Lake Lewisville when Flatheads were king. I think my son is finally ready so I’m going to start getting everything I need lined up. We catch a few every year by accident but I haven’t gone out and specifically targeted them in 20 yrs. I don’t think much has changed in the world of Flathead fishing in the last 20 yrs other than now there are LED lights and head lamps instead of Kerosene lanterns and most of the Dinosaurs are all gone. Im gonna fish for em the same way I did in my 20s. Wife is leaving town May 16th so that gives me several weeks to get everything I need and get the boat ready for night fishing. I’m going to document our journey along the way and share with y’all our experience good or bad. Hopefully we can hang a few and get my son a taste of that Yella Cat Fever.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 03:26 PM

Good luck bud. I have never targeted them before and have only caught 1 in my life by accident. From what I understand its a slower paced fishing. Keep us posted.
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 03:59 PM

Hasn't changed since I was a kid.However I upped my game by making slip floats out a pool noodle,small tubing and some expansion foam.......put a live 3-6" perch or shad on below it,toss it out near some underwater ledges and hang on.I weight mine down with a couple ounces of lead and have used more on bigger baitfish.Usually set them from 6 to maybe 14' depending on location.

Good Luck

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 04:35 PM

Thanks guys. cheers I used to use the slip bobber rig up around the log jams during the afternoon and as the sun started to go down I would move to the shallow creek flat just above a deep hole with timber in it. We always did best in May when there was a little current so hopefully I can make it happen.

We used seining net floats as our bobbers back then because big bobbers were hard to get. I like the pool float slip bobber idea. Jam a light stick in it and fish it along side my tight lines at night. Thanks Whistlebritches cheers I will look for some that are pre-fabbed and report back. Surely somebody is selling them in 2021. I plan on looking at what’s out there this eve and buy what I need.. Only things I require are big floats and some extra LED lighting and I will be good to go.

I appreciate the suggestions fellas. Keep em coming!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 05:27 PM

I ordered the last set of Muddy River Catfish floats off Amazon. They even have a hole to jam a light stick. Be here tomorrow. Gotta love Amazon Prime.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 05:28 PM

Pool noodle bobbers from Muddy River Catfishing...

https://www.muddyrivercatfishing.com/store/Muddy-River-Catfishing-Bobbers-XL-p196201971

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 05:31 PM

Those giant Flatheads are what gave me the fever when my son was just a little dude. Now he's in his 30s. Time flies...
Good luck Chris. I am looking forward to seeing this story unfold...

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 05:51 PM

Thanks Tim. cheers I got a set of those floats on the way amigo! I think a lot of guys first experience with a big catfish was a Flathead. I’m gonna document the entire experience from getting equipped to picking my spots on the topo map where I want to go scout. Hopefully I can get some good stuff on video so me and my son can look back at it someday and reminisce. All I have are old Polaroids but my son will have high def ultra 4K.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 09:24 PM

Someone said they are better eating than blues.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 09:42 PM

We used to eat em 30 yrs ago but I’ve turned em all loose since 1995. I still remember the last one I kept was for a family fish fry. I told my Dad you better enjoy it cuz I’m Catch and Release on all big fish from here on out and I stuck to it. I’m teaching my son the same. I have a Polaroid of that fish from 1995 at home in a drawer somewhere I’m gonna dig up when I get home. I can’t wait to call my dad and ask him if he remembers that. If we catch a dinosaur you can bet the house it’s going back into the lake...
Posted By: Billy Goat

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 10:30 PM

funny you mention it. I've been catfishing "hard" for 13 years. I've never targeted flatheads, and...... never caught one til last Saturday. it was just a lucky catch on cut shad during the daytime. 35# and an awesome fight for the 9 year old kid who hauled it in.

I filleted it because I've always read (mostly on here) about how much "better" a big flathead tasted than a regular blue or channel. well, I couldnt tell the difference. still tasted great, but not "better" to me, and my wife +kids all agreed.

As such, me and mine have agreed that we'd release any more we catch because it truly is a unique/special experience to catch one. I'm not judging anyone else who keeps one.

good luck in your pursuit!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 04/30/21 11:45 PM

It feels really good to let one go especially when you know it took 25-30 yrs to get that big. This is the last time I kept a big fish. Photo is Circa 1995.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/01/21 03:25 AM

I usually keep one big blue a year,38lb'r back in February(big male)and release all flat heads regardless of size.But I don't judge

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/01/21 04:29 AM

We teach the importance of Trophy Catfish Conservation on our boat and have pledged to practice CPR of all catfish over 10 lbs.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/01/21 04:44 AM

Chris,

You need to take a gander at my Catfish Calendar, as to Yellows. The YC days are YellowCat days as per the Calendar. But the full true pattern running in the background is found in my PYC days [Lynn's Personal YellowCat days) , because I bumped into the pattern back in 1981. And I finally realized that it is constant, so that is why I list both now. It does not matter if you run set lines, or R-n-R. But be sure & read my tips in the KEY.

Currently, some who use the PYC & the YC days for set lines, are also using them for R-n-R. One bass fisherman who likes to catch Yellows comes over to the Catfish Calendar for that reason. I know of one who uses the calendar & PYC days on Lake Conroe with R-n-R with a spoon. He noted he quit wasting time during other days.

My two prize Catfish Calendar students there at Running Branch on Lake Limestone, had never caught a Yellow before. After finally listening to my YC advice & the calendar, they caught their first 4 in 30 days. The 3rd was a 30+ on a jug. Their 4th was a 62.4# Op on a trotline. From there, they caught YellowCat fever. I was proud of them. As i am of everybody who finally takes the calendar & applies it.

Anyways I wish you & your son the best in going for Yellows! Just be sure he knows what to expect when a big Yellow dives. It can take you overboard unless prepared.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/01/21 05:13 AM

Only times I've ever caught a flathead, I've been crappie fishing.4 times, all on minnows. Biggest was about 6 lbs.

Might try targeting them this year, saw a couple spots on the Brazos, that look promising, and know of two areas that do attract them on Eagle Mountain. (which one of them, is where I caught my last one while crappie fishing) Always have access to bluegills for bait.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/01/21 09:59 AM

Gotta love it when one grabs hold! Feels like you hooked a swimming movie chair!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TritonRob

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/01/21 11:27 AM

Haven't fished for flatheads in many years. It was a personal quest of mine when I was younger to catch big ones but I never kept them. When I first started fishing for them I didn't know whether I was gonna keep them or not but just one look at it when I finally caught one and I knew this old man would live to fight another day. My buddy fishing with me thought I was crazy when I let him go. I just never could bring myself to kill such an old majestic creature. It was just the challenge of catching them I was after. If I want to eat catfish I'll catch a few eating size channels or blues. The flatheads have a special place in my heart. Ans El-Gato your right... There's not a better feeling in the world than letting one go....

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/01/21 12:59 PM

Ordered these yesterday and they arrived on my doorstep this morning...Gotta love Amazon Prime!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: iFloat

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/01/21 01:53 PM

i'm diggin this thread. Excited to follow what happens.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/01/21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish Lynn
Chris,

Anyways I wish you & your son the best in going for Yellows! Just be sure he knows what to expect when a big Yellow dives. It can take you overboard unless prepared.

Thanks Lynn cheers

We know what to expect as we catch our fair share of big fish. Jaxon always leaves the rod in the rod holder on bigger fish. I let him tangle with the last Flathead we caught in March and he couldn’t budge it. He can get a 20-25 lb blue in if it cooperates but we are in open water free of snags but it smokes him and he’s done the rest of the trip. I figure he can handle about a 12 lb Flathead if we catch it on a flat then I will let him fight it. Anything bigger and I will be the one trying to keep it’s from lodging itself under a log. Same with fishing around the log jams. I will be the one yanking em out of there as there is no way my son can control fish and keep one from burying itself in structure.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/01/21 04:58 PM

Yes Sir that boy of yours is READY! Looking forward to seeing some of those BIG FLATHEADS that he catches. Keep making those PRICELESS MEMORIES. thumb

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/02/21 06:08 PM

Very Good! I remember either the last (in June 2011) or the previous Kid's Catfish Tourney at Lake Limestone there at Running Branch Marina & Campgrounds. Nick Goodman had a bunch of kids in his "aluminum barge "flat bottom boat jhe had custom made. The sides were very high, which was very helpful. Why? One kid latched onto a monster (probably a big Yellow). It took him from the front of the boat & almost out of the back of the boat in just a few split seconds. When Nick realized it, he was scrambling to catch the kid before going overboard. Luckily the back end was higher than the "norm". I forget if the R-n-R was snatched or it snapped the line. But the point is, it happened all in a few split seconds.

I myself was in a 1962 Elgin 12 foot flat bottom with a 15 HP Sea King (by Chrysler), boat was a sturdy one rated for 7.5 HP. I had it braced for torque so it would not rip out the keel. My first father-in-law Jimmy went with me that very foggy August 1983 morning on the Trinity River below TX21 bridge. He had access to the "Park" some 25 or so bends down below the bridge. with 2 or 3 in that boat, it takes about 20 to 30 minutes to get down that far. However, at the park camped out, we were about 2 to 3 bends below. We came up to one of my 5 hook throwlines tied to a super huge stump that just cleared the water about 5 to 10' out from the bank. It was 15 to 20' deep there, probably 18'. Jimmy was up or moved up to the front seat. He reached out and put his hand under the line (which was about 6" under the surface). He raised it up just enough for me to grab it from the left side of the back seat. i was sitting about in the middle. Naturally, I had observed nothing had jerked while he lifted it, nor as a I grabbed it. So I was figuring nothing was on it. Caution had been thrown to the wind. I sadly let my guard down. I had 4/0 SS Eagle Claw hooks on, I had never needed any larger. As I was heading down the line with one hand (the left) to the 3rd (they were 3' apart), she woke up. She dove hard down under the water. Never saw it. It jerked me over to the edge of the rim on the boat in the blink of an eye, my left hand now headed down into the water. Trying to rectify the situation, grabbing something with my right hand, my left hand was almost to the shoulder in the water. Thank goodness the rim edge of the boat was slightly higher (the Elgin model had a deeper hull) than others, and was much stabler in the water. I am sure Jimmy instinctively threw his weight over diagonal from me to counterbalance the situation at hand. In the flood of 100 thoughts, was one that left me with two choices, let go & fight when better prepared, or head out into the water fighting it on its own turf & also getting hung up in the line. So I let go, just before I went over the edge. But had to be careful I did not turn us over in my spring action back up in the boat. After we regained our composure, this time I went up to the stump & very carefully & fully braced for another dive, we found she had gotten off, but straightening out the 4/0 hook.

Needless to say, I try to keep my guard up in cae I encounter that again. Two years later in July 1985, I finally caught "Big'Un". It was weighed at a meat locker plant in Madisonville 24 hours later. Its tail drug the slide scales showing 59#. The guy with his experience said it should easily go 65#. But I decided to even it out at 60#, even thiough she was larger.

And I wear my lifejacket, not knowing when something like that can take you overboard without time to grab it on the way down. And like the bass fisherman found out, better to wear it all the time, since he was in a bass tournament on Lake Livingston. Lightning struck him & blew him out of the boat & into the water unconscious. His fishing buddy did not even realize what had happened until he tuned around & saw that his partner was nowhere in the boat.

When big Yellows (mainly 30+ pounders) realize something is not right, they instincitively dive down. There are two options they are trying for. IOne is to get under a log, perhaps as some leverage point, or as some sort of protection. The other is to go burrow in the mud at the bottom, in order to become like a suction cup. This is the reason that sometimes a Yellow is also referred to as a "MudCat".
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 12:43 AM

Great thread! Got to love the big flathead stories! My personal best rod and reel cat was 38 lbs. caught and released in the Trinity river.
[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 12:47 AM

And I don’t take any big ones any more either. I did harvest a huge 67 that we caught way back then. I still to this day wish we would have just snapped a pic and let her go. Oh well. We had a huge fish fry and I learned from it.
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 01:09 AM

Enjoying this thread, as it is bringing back some good memories.
I grew up in Alabama and then moved to Kansas with my family when I was 15. Stayed there through college. Ended up spoiled with all the excellent hunting and fishing in Kansas... we had several spots on the Kansas River that we had access to. Typical larger mid-west river, lot of sand bars, lot of shallow areas and big rains would move stuff around... but was always a channel and always some big holes. Often would get log jams in the bends and holes, etc. Was great duck hunting and cat fishing river. Lot of big flatheads. We would run lines and rod/reel fish it. Live bluegill were always the best bait for the flatheads. Had a few40's and a couple of 50's over the years there.
Moved to North Carolina with work a year after college. Bought some land on the Cape Fear river. Another good catfishing river. I had a gravel bar that ran off my land when water level was normal, and channel ran from far side of river across and cut past the end of the gravel bar... had a big rock shelf where it crossed. Caught a lot of fish there. Had good sized rods due to big fish, and will never forget one I lost... hooked it, and when it figured out it was hooked, it decided to go down river. Had already caught a 20 that night, and this was completely different! Big spinning rod with probably 30 lb test or so, and it was taking drag like it was not even there. I was about out of line and decided I had to do something, cranked drag down some, and set back on it. Sounded like a rifle going off when it broke the line. Never turned that fish... That was one that I wont forget and would really have liked to at least see it!

Keep us the stories all!

Ken

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 04:13 AM

That was probably a 100+ Yellow.

Things are looking good, as I hope to finally hit the water once again in June. I will be trying to shoot for the 2nd & 3rd weekends. I'm shooting for finally catching "The Giant". I was hoping to get back after him in 2019, after losing him once again on May 5, 2018 the day I was pulling my lines. Then the old heart came back with a vengence around May 2019. I finally went to the hospital in December 2019 & was in for 9 days. Heart was down to pumping 10 to 15%. Had a defibrillator put in as AFIB was wilder than a bucking bronc. Looks like I have a computer mouse just under my skin on my upper left chest. Anyways, I am ready to go for him once again. The Giant was first estimated by me to be around 100 to 115# Op even though I have never seen it, but have tangoed with it over the years. Along with my Uncle James (JW), and my two prize Calendar & YC students- Jeff & James S.(JS). Sadly, Jeff & his 2nd wife were brutally murdered in Mart in September 2011. And my Uncle passed on in January 2020 of a blod clot that settled in his lungs.

JS is the only one of us 4 who has actually seen it. Looking back in my archives, it was one night in April 2009 that Jeff (father) & James (son) went to run their trotline, and even though they lost it, James S. has been the only one to see its head, and its tail as it waved Bye-Bye. JS said there was nothing but head in the spotlight. And after it went down, the tail surfaced to which he said must have been at least a foot span. It snapped the swivel & took the leader after waving Goodbye. After my tango with it on Cinco de Mayo in 2018, it literally snapped my size 36 braided leader. It took the hook, but did not snap my Crane SS 4/0 swivel. I have never had any fish snap my size 36 cord. I am thinking I had a Mustad 3x strength SS Stump Hook Triple strength, short "J" style. Jeff & JS used 9/0 Bronze offset Eagle Claws & had caught two coming in at 62 pounds each, among many other smaller. A 92 pound Yellow was caught nearby back I think around 2006 by one lady running her trotline.

Anyways, I will resurrect the thread I started on "The Giant" to give updates on, just before & during "The Quest". I am pretty sure it is probably a male. It runs like a tractor in granny gear, never stopping & obviously knows it can eventually get off any line, even if ripping the hook out. And after the 2018 encounter I had to adjust my estimated weight of him. I now think we are dealing with a Yellow that run between 115# & 150#. Speaking of one that big, on the cover of the 2021 Hard Copy (printed edition) of the 2021 calendar, is one of a 135 pounder caught in 2007 in SC which took him 2 hours to get him to the shore. If'n "The Giant" does not measure up to the poundage estimate, I will be very disappointed & may have to give "him" an award at outsmarting me on his weight due to his strength.

Any Lynn's Catfish Calendar followers, since we're talking Yellows, here's an early release for a portion of June ...

The 2nd one is the 11th & 12th (Fri/Sat) is my PYC Personal YellowCat) days, as well as YC (YellowCat) days on my Catfish Calendar. The 3rd weekend is 20/21 (Sun/Mon) my PYC days & also YC days on the actual Calendar.
For those who don't know, the PYC days is the underlying pattern of YellowCat's "roam-feed" switch. It's when the ONE kicks them out the door to go roam for food. The YC days are one of my 4 sigs on the actual Calendar, which is the strongest pull for that day.

And in my KEY 2021 which touches on the 4 "sigs", as well as my PYC days, one tip to key (focus) in on, is Bleedover. The gates for the days in the calendar are not cut & dried as to Midnight to Midnight. Most of the time there is a bleedover either way of up to 12 hours. Therefore you would want to get an early start, and if running set lines, be sure & check them the morning after the last day of a run. Bleedover is not a guarantee, but most of the time, it pays off fairly well.

I'll post the May calendar Monday night up on the Catfish Calendar thread. I should have left a little overlap into the first week of May in the April posting. I have to call it a night for now. Very long weekend here.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 10:18 AM

I was telling my wife about this threat Chris. She is a professional scrap booker. She dug up some 20 plus year old pictures is me when we used to flathead fish Rend Lake. As you, we ate about everything we caught back then. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 12:35 PM

I've only ever caught flatheads as incidental catch while going after striped fish. Biggest was approx 50#, which was a blast on 12# sandbass tackle.

I know there's some older photos tucked away & will post if I can find them.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 02:10 PM

These are the kinds of threads that keep me coming back to TFF fellas. Thanks for sharing amigos and also for following me and Action Jaxon on our journey to Catville, USA. I reserved a campsite at Hickory Creek Park on Lake Lewisville May 16th for our first crack at getting Jax on a Yella. I know they are going on their beds real soon so hopefully we can catch em feeding up hard right before the spawn and get it done first trip. I figure we’ll get 2-3 trips in before the spawn.

Headlamps arrived yesterday from Amazon. These lights are really cool for guys that fish at night. You can change from UV to green or White light. UV makes the rod tips and hi-vis line light up like a light saber. UV lights were not around back when I was chasing Yellas but I’ve been using the Fish Phazer LED lights for blues at night for the last 4 yrs. I don’t fish at night very often so I have been apprehensive about spending much money on lighting up the boat. I found some battery powered wireless submersible LED lights that are remote controlled and can change color from UV, green, blue, red, or white light at the touch of a button and can also be dimmed.. They were cheap so I will be let y’all know how they do as soon as I get my hands on them. If we decide to get into night fishing I will spend a little more $$ to light up the boat. Fishin b $pen$ive!!

Here is the link to the headlamps:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B087XWCK71?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 02:24 PM

Keep posting those old Flathead pics Amigos! Gives me inspiration!

Here’s one from Circa 1991

[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 05:49 PM

Chris,
What kind of bait tank you you favor? Do you live bait? Assuming you will? Bream or shad or both? Bait tanks and keeping bait alive is a science of it's own.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 06:47 PM

[Linked Image]
Me and a buddy caught this one several years ago in the Trinity River. 67 lbs on the old scales we had.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 06:49 PM

I’m using sunfish Tim. We leave em in the recirculating livewell on the boat. They live a long time in the big livewell. I’ve forgotten about them and they were still alive a week later. I usually catch Bluegill before I go and I keep em in my Koi pond until I’m ready to fish. Gizzard will stay alive in the recirculating livewell all day too but sunfish stay alive longer. When I used to fish the floodgates we used big gizzards and it didn’t really matter if they were alive or dead as long as you put your bait in the right spot. It’s alot more important to have a live bait in the lake though.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow
[Linked Image]
Me and a buddy caught this one several years ago in the Trinity River. 67 lbs on the old scales we had.

I want one!!!!
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 07:23 PM

Go to Catfish Dave's YouTube channel He had one where he showed how to make those floats. Might make a good father/son project.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/03/21 07:34 PM

Thanks Nut. I have 4 to get us started. If we need more for future I will look into making some.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/04/21 03:25 AM

Installed some of the wireless lights tonight. These things are sweet. They were $20 for 4 lights and they come with 4 remotes. They are battery operated and last 12 hrs. You can switch whatever color you want at the push of a button and they are also dimmable. I added some 3m tape and stuck them under my gunnels. Tomorrow I will add 4 more to my T-top and we should be good. I bought 3 sets so I have 4 extras in case I want to stick some anywhere else or if one quits working. I figured these should work for short term and if my son enjoys it I will upgrade the lights later. I ran em for 30 minutes and the bugs weren’t really drawn to them. Check em out and let me know what y’all think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KWXCI3Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

First pic is with only the fish phazer light turned on.

[Linked Image]

These are with the wireless Amazon lights.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/04/21 05:16 AM

OK, YC & PYC days for May & a little into June are posted on my "Lynn's Catfish Calendar" thread as of 12:04 AM.

Happy Catfish Tales/Tails!!!

I'll try to find time to share about some LED lights my Uncle had rigged up for us on the 14' MonArk Flat bottom, hopefully Wednesday or Thursday night. He was an electronic expert & came up with this. It worked great for cruising at night, or when stopped & running lines at the front of the boat. Made from 4 LED flashlights using two D cell (at 1.5 volts each) which total 3 volts for each light x 4 = Guess ??? Yep, 12 volts rigged into the boats'/batteries' electrical system.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/04/21 01:03 PM

Those lights are sexy Chris. And if they don't draw bugs they're even better! You keep this up and we're all gonna be out there night fishing...

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/04/21 08:30 PM

Those lights look good bud. I might have to get some. Looks like the lines glows good in the black light mode.
Posted By: darthty33

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/05/21 05:28 AM

My goal for this year is to catch a big Flat around 20+ on Rod and Reel. I caught 3 on accident last year, the biggest being 14lbs. I wish you and your son much luck, I hope we both get on a good one.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/05/21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
Installed some of the wireless lights tonight. These things are sweet. They were $20 for 4 lights and they come with 4 remotes. They are battery operated and last 12 hrs. You can switch whatever color you want at the push of a button and they are also dimmable. I added some 3m tape and stuck them under my gunnels. Tomorrow I will add 4 more to my T-top and we should be good. I bought 3 sets so I have 4 extras in case I want to stick some anywhere else or if one quits working. I figured these should work for short term and if my son enjoys it I will upgrade the lights later. I ran em for 30 minutes and the bugs weren’t really drawn to them. Check em out and let me know what y’all think.

Can you sync all of those lights to one remote or do you have to use a different remote for each set?

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/05/21 12:28 PM

They all work off 1 remote. I will shoot some video for y’all tonight when I install some up on my T-Top.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/05/21 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713

Can you sync all of those lights to one remote or do you have to use a different remote for each set?

Link to Amazon says one remote can control all multi color led lights.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/06/21 03:04 AM

Awesome thread. thumb

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/06/21 11:08 AM

I ordered a set of those lights, going to give them a try!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/06/21 03:33 PM

👍 ...I bought a roll of 3m double sided tape to mount them.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/06/21 03:37 PM

Not sure how I’m going to mount the ones on the T-top yet. Round tube and cloth top aren’t great for mounting things.
Posted By: fishin'aholic2

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/06/21 09:14 PM

If you are looking for flatheads, I would go to grapevine. There are tons there. Would catch them every trip in the summer when crappie fishing.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/07/21 02:38 AM

As to a cheap 12 volt setup with LED ...

My uncle rigged up 4 LED Flashlight heads with wires soldered to them. You have one tube of Water PVC about 3 to 4 feet long, with 4 "Tees". The Flashlight heads are glued on. He had it capped on one end. On the other, he glued a "90 ELL" & then a short portion that he capped. That was for a handle. We had them snugly twist tied to the front crossways PVC roof frame. I let him run the motor. I would run our lines. For cruising at night, I would grab the handle & tillt to shine in front, but slightly down, to keep an eye out for stumps & such. But when stopped & running lines, I could reach up & pull on the handle to angle the tube to have the lights shine on me, the bait, the fish, and lines. He had a wire run back & had set up a small set-up of toggle switches. Such as for the Boat night lights, this Light set-up, main bilge pump, second higher bilge pump, and whatnot.

He got 4 LED flashlights, each ran on 3 volts (2- D cell at 1.5 volts each). If rigged in line, 4 lights would run on 12 volts. And naturally draw much less juice off the battery than conventional lights.

I will have to look at it & take notes (dimensions), in case anyone wants to build these.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/07/21 12:12 PM

Took my wife for a sunset cruise around the lake yesterday evening. Went way up into Hickory Creek to scout for Flathead spots to fish. Didn’t get to go as far up the creek as I would have liked as it got dark on us but I found a dozen good areas. Wife asked if I would take her back further up into there on Mother’s Day so I should have a real good feel for that area by the time me and my son have to navigate it at night. I marked 2 giant Flatheads at dark that were under a fallen tree. Water was 76 up in there so I sure hope I’m not to late to the party. Catfish are about to spawn. [Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/07/21 12:26 PM

Dang! those tight contours look goooood. I am rooting for you guys to pull some pigs out of there!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/07/21 12:33 PM

The sheer amount of biomass of fish up in there was incredible Tim. Seemed like half the fish in the lake were crammed up in there. You should have seen all the driftwood piles and fallen timber! It was like National Geographic up in there. Best part about it was we didn’t see a single plastic bottle, jug, or Styrofoam cups up in there. Not a single 1!
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/07/21 01:27 PM

Anyone know if you can launch a yak comfortably at Old Alton bridge or nearby?

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/07/21 01:41 PM

Shouldn’t be a problem Jonathan. Lake is flooded 2 1/2 to 3 ft so the water is up in the Willows and scrub brush.
Posted By: fishin'aholic2

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/07/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Anyone know if you can launch a yak comfortably at Old Alton bridge or nearby?

Depends on the yak you have. My Native is heavy and is a pain to put in there but the lake is up so that should help. There are rocks right there under the bridge
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/08/21 04:36 AM

Ok I’ll jump In here too, and I also am enjoying seeing these nice fish and smiling faces.
This was a couple of years back on the Brazos, I tried to black out my abundant man skin, the fish is all that matters anyway.
Caught this on R&R early in the morning while doing an overnight trip.
I kid you not I caught this thing in 18 inches of water, we were camped beside a small rapids, and this thing went for a SNAKE, I had a small snake getting onto my minnow bucket and I had shoo’d him away a couple of times already, so I swat him with my rod tip and took him prisoner.
Put him on a jig head and threw him in.
Fighting him that river current was awesome.
And the fish was released to let someone else enjoy catching her/him.

The snake did not survive.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/08/21 02:04 PM

That’s awesome Steve! Love that story man cheers

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/08/21 05:12 PM

Catfish 1 - Snake 0

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/11/21 02:42 AM

I bought some brackets for the overhead lights that are made for light bars and they worked out good. I left the brackets slightly loose so that I can adjust the lights directions while fishing if needed. Very pleased with these lights so far. Will let y’all know how they do this weekend. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/11/21 03:28 PM

Last night I re-rigged my rods for Flatheads and also started rounding up our gear. Woke up this morning with Flatheads on my brain and feeling that catfish fever starting to burn! This night trip is all my son has been talking about for the last week. As we inch closer each day the anticipation is building up pressure like the feeling I used to get before a big game. This is a feeling I’ve felt many times over the years when travel fishing. I also know that in the coming days the excitement will continue to build up until we’re at a fever pitch. By Friday I will be feeling that feeling I used to get before an after school fist fight. That calm before the storm when the butterflies start churning and the confidence is swelling. That feeling you get when you know your about to be cut loose and let off the chain. I envision total domination where loosing isn’t an option and I take the same mindset for big fishing trips. Instead of the whole school watching us fight it will be all the TFF watching us throw down! Lmao! It can only go 1 of 2 ways fellas. Either we take an [censored] whipping with everyone watching or we give one and get our hand raised high ...We’ll know soon enough!

Going to scout for a sunfish bait hole later today. Will start collecting big baits tomorrow so that I have enough time to get exactly what I need before Saturday’s trip. Saturday Jax has a soccer game at 11:30 am and then were heading home to load up the boat. I’m hoping to be on the water by 3 so that I have enough time to scout the entire stretch of creek that were fishing one more time.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/11/21 04:51 PM

Last night I re-rigged my rods for Flatheads and also started rounding up our gear. Woke up this morning with Flatheads on my brain and feeling that catfish fever starting to burn! This night trip is all my son has been talking about for the last week. As we inch closer each day the anticipation is building up pressure like the feeling I used to get before a big game. This is a feeling I’ve felt many times over the years when travel fishing. I also know that in the coming days the excitement will continue to build up until we’re at a fever pitch. By Friday I will be feeling that feeling I used to get before an after school fist fight. That calm before the storm when the butterflies start churning and the confidence is swelling. That feeling you get when you know your about to be cut loose and let off the chain. I envision total domination where loosing isn’t an option and I take the same mindset for big fishing trips. Instead of the whole school watching us fight it will be all the TFF watching us throw down! Lmao! It can only go 1 of 2 ways fellas. Either we take an [censored] whipping with everyone watching or we give one and get our hand raised high ...We’ll know soon enough!

Going to scout for a sunfish bait hole later today. Will start collecting big baits tomorrow so that I have enough time to get exactly what I need before Saturday’s trip. Saturday Jax has a soccer game at 11:30 am and then were heading home to load up the boat. I’m hoping to be on the water by 3 so that I have enough time to scout the entire stretch of creek that were fishing one more time.

I am excited with you!
I will be tuning in to watch!
cheers
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/11/21 05:41 PM

Them flatties were a poppin last Friday night. I'll tell ya that much...lol

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/11/21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by TRH (formerly xpress00)

Come on man! You gotta give more details then that. Help a TFF bro out amigo!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/11/21 07:43 PM

Brother you know how to get us fired up, I'll say that. I am really pulling for you and Jax. And I can't wait to see you put a whoopin on 'em. Reading your post is like watchin Michael Irvin before a Cowboys game! Makes you want to put on the pads and hurt somebody! In this case the flatheads are the ones gonna get hurt!

Give 'em he!! boys!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/11/21 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by TRH (formerly xpress00)

Come on man! You gotta give more details then that. Help a TFF bro out amigo!

roflmao It's not very often you can sit in the same spot and boat 8 flatheads in 5 hours on R&R. We lost the big one (I know, I know), he made a turn and a run and rubbed the braid on a rock best I can tell. That was the first bite and happened before we had all the rods out. Biggest landed was 16lbs. River was still up some and still had some decent flow to it.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/12/21 02:12 PM

Thanks for the PM TRH. cheers Gotta love good ol TFF!

Looks like Mother Nature isn’t wanting to play nice Saturday night. We’ll fish as hard as we can for as long as we can and let the chips fall where they may. Approaching storm will probably help our fishing but kill our boat camping. We’re used to fishing around that stuff but that’s in the main lake during the day. I can get out of its way or off the lake quickly when I see one coming. The main problem with where we’re fishing Saturday night is you can’t just pack up and leave that area very quick. It takes a long time to get up into that area and I pretty much have to slow troll out of there which takes 30-45 minutes. Need those thunderstorms to go away!
[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/12/21 04:15 PM

Stay safe and have fun. Can't wait for the update!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/12/21 05:26 PM

Thanks Amigos cheers

Checked my perch trap this morning and only had (2) 6” Bluegill (3) 3”, and several 2”. Not great but it’s a start. I didn’t bait the trap and the water was stained 100% so hopefully it will get better by tomorrow. I will run the trap this afternoon with my son and we’ll bait it up and chum the area a bit and see if that helps. If things don’t improve by tomorrow I’m going to have to work a little harder to get the baits I need.

[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/12/21 05:32 PM

Good luck out there. I have always heard that mud cats are good bait. You ever tried them? My moms pond is full of them
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/12/21 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Blazer 2400
Good luck out there. I have always heard that mud cats are good bait. You ever tried them? My moms pond is full of them

Flatheads like sunfish of all varieties, suckers, carp, drum, goldfish, bullheads (mud cats), big Shad, and even big (8+”) golden shiners. I find that usually the most important thing is getting the bait from the same watershed due to the scent, so I like to get my bait from the lake I’m fishing or creeks that feed the lake I’m fishing.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/12/21 08:50 PM

I’ve used them and they work great Matt. Why don’t you take Pax Bullheadn and I will come scoop up the bait when y’all are done! Lol. Bulls stay alive and lively a long time on a hook. I don’t have access to the bullhead pond anymore or my old Bluegill pond either. My gill pond would have been one throw of the cast net and then go fish but I lost access to that when my neighbor moved. A Flathead will eat anything alive in front of its face so if I have to go throw the cast net for 2 hrs to get bait I will do what I gotta do.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/12/21 09:14 PM

Haha you let me know when you want some and are out this way. We go to her pond and try to catch bluegills using corn and all we catch is bullheads.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/12/21 10:03 PM

Thanks Matt cheers the trap worked much better today. We got (8) 5-6 “ sunfish this afternoon. Couple more hauls like that and we will be good to go.

[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/14/21 12:11 PM

If you chum they will come. Got (18) 4-5” sunfish in the trap last night. That makes 30 and we’re good to go. This afternoon I will finish rounding up our gear and load the boat. Flathead Quest 2021 is almost upon us!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/14/21 09:42 PM

Well it’s the night before the kickoff of Flathead Quest 2021! Got my baits acquired and I’m rigged up and ready to go. All that’s left is to make a quick grocery run and we’re good to go. Tonight Jaxon graduates Pre-K and tomorrow morning is his final soccer game. We’ll be on the water by 3 and then we’ll head up into Hickory Creek looking for glory. I’m feeling well prepared and confident. Tonight I will struggle to fall asleep as I drift in and out of the 4th world with visions of Action Jaxon hugging Flathead Dinofish dancing through my head.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/14/21 10:33 PM

Twas the night before fishing and all through the land, the yella cat were nervous for the quest was at hand. The rods were all rigged and ready to go, the bait was too although they didn't know. Jaxon and Chris were trying to sleep, but they couldn't because of the call from the deep.

That's all I got...

Good luck guys! looking forward to the report on Sunday...

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/14/21 11:02 PM

Go get ‘em El Gato!
cheers

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 02:26 AM

Just hung our first Yella and broke off a freakin monster!!!!!!!!! Fought it for 10 minutes and it took me into the timber. Flathead 1 Azul 0....we got 6 blues in the boat.
Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 03:22 AM

Sounds like your adrenaline is pumping!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 03:32 AM

GAME ON!

Good luck guys. Will be looking for pictures in the morning!

Ken

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 03:56 AM

We’re gonna sit for 15 more minutes and then we’re making a move. I can’t imagine there are very many other flatheads around here with the size of the fish we just lost:
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 05:08 AM

thumb

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 05:53 AM

Chris, If the weather holds good for you, hang in there till Noon Sunday, as you are on the last of a two day YC & my PYC day run (14th/15th). But Bleedover can take you an extra 12 hours till Sunday lunch. Sorry you missed that big one.

Next week will be 23rd/24th (Sun/Mon) YC as well as PYC days which will be from about Noon Sat thru Noon Tues with Bleedover.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 05:55 AM

Oh yeah, Blues bite great on YC days, but will flat tear you up on BC days.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 02:39 PM

Just got off the water and we took a whoopin! Started off the trip by rescuing a couple of folks who were in distress. They had fallen off their JetSki, couldn’t swim, and we’re in serious panic mode. Man we’re they glad to see us!! The night started out promising with lots of takedowns but they were all Blues. We hung a super toad Yella and it was the hardest pulling fish I’ve felt in years. Took me into the timber and worked me good. Broke me off and broke our hearts! We ended up with 15 blues. We had a great time in spite of our poor performance. We’ll lick our wounds and be back for round 2 next weekend. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 04:34 PM

good job man sounds like fun to me Those flatheads are some kind of fun.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 05:54 PM

thumb

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 07:25 PM

Chris, we are all charged to render aid when the need arises. It's a good thing you were there brother. There is nothing more heartbreaking that hooking a toad and having him win the battle. The war goes on. We had a tough go this weekend too. I have never fed more turtles than I did Saturday. We managed a handful of dinks and that was all.

One last thing, Proper Twelve... My Man!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/16/21 08:48 PM

My motto is Never, ever get up. I stayed after "Big'Un" from day one in August 1983 until July 1985 when I finially got her in the boat after almost 2 years. Many times had her on the line while I was just baiting it out. I always put the best perch on her side of the river.

We have been tangling/ tangoing with "The Giant" off & on since 2008 or 2009. Intermittent due to to health issues & drought, as well. Time to finally finish this chapter so I can move on.

Anyways, Yellows tend to stay in their apartment/region, so when you get back, try, try again in the same area, basically within 10 feet & you'll give it another go. That's why with me, I use the Calendar to help me consistently knowing when the Yellows strike the most.

Also, Well Done!!! As to the rescue. Hmm, they did not know how to swim.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/17/21 01:24 PM

Man... I was hoping ya'll would pull a monster in. I know there are still some bigguns hanging out up in that lake of yours...

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/17/21 03:34 PM

Thanks Amigos! I sure thought we were going to have better luck. The area we anchored on had an oxbow that was 12ft deep and had 2 flats that were 4 ft with 2 big fallen timber piles on each side. In front of the boat was a 21 ft hole that was holding tons of bait. I had baits out in that 21 ft hole, baits in the 12ft oxbow, and baits in 4 ft on both piles of timber. The big fish came out of 4ft next to the timber. It swam out into the oxbow and we danced for a little bit. When it got done playing with me it headed back towards the timber and it was over.

We made a move around 11 and went upstream to a bend in the river with a deep hole and submerged timber in it. It was holding lots of bait and fish and looked real promising. We anchored in 12 ft above the 22 ft hole and put baits in 22ft, 12ft, and some up in 3-4 ft flat with fallen trees. Never got another bite and layed it down at 1am. Man both spots looked incredible and I thought for sure we would get a few but no luck.

We’re gonna try again this weekend and if we don’t get one we’ll probably wait until the spawn is over to try again in July. Water was 75 up in there and the main lake was 71.

[Linked Image]

We anchored at the x and the big fish came from the right of that up in between the 2 islands in 4 ft of water.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/17/21 06:54 PM

Looks like a fun trip. Always next time to try to get a big yellow.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/18/21 12:41 AM

thumb
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/18/21 12:55 AM

Goatman is gonna get y'all way up there! roflmao

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/18/21 04:19 AM

OOPS! That should be ... Never Ever Give up!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/18/21 01:12 PM

popcorn Anxiously waiting for next weekends report!!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/18/21 11:20 PM

We’re about to put in and look for redemption. Gonna fish the last hour of day light and the first hour of dark and hope we get lucky! Gotta be some active fish moving up into that current up at the Trinity.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/19/21 12:25 AM

First 3 fish in the boat, all blues...even dinks will swallow a 4” Gill.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/19/21 11:52 AM

Victory is ours! We fished the mouth of the Trinity in 5 ft. We had baits behind a huge submerged rootball that was breaking the current. We also had baits up against the deadwood, several out on the mud flat of the blow out, and several right on the edge of the channel. Round 2 started off with 5 blues. They all came off the mud flat the blowout was pushing current up onto. We had a good run from the driftwood rod but didn’t hook up. Then right before dark the rootball rod started singing. Got it hooked up and the fish moved out into the channel away from the rootball. After a couple of good runs I got it in the boat. 23 lbr! Victory is ours! We’re gonna head back out Saturday night and see if Jaxon can get him one. I let him fight this fish but he couldn’t do anything with it and I didn’t want to loose another one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/19/21 12:55 PM

Awesome!!
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/19/21 03:13 PM

Man that was a great read!

I lucked into a giant (about 40lb, so maybe not giant, but big) flathead about a year ago from the bank not far from where yall were trying on Hickory creek. He took a big hunk of cut gizzard shad. The other 3 flatheads I have caught were while bass fishing with crankbaits. They do like live baits no doubt.

Great job saving those two jet ski folks. Man not being able to swim and being in the middle of the Lake, even with the life jackets, must be scary AF. If I could not swim I think I would stay far away from water... it'd be like I was superman and water is kryptonite.

Keep up the great work! Hope to do some catting soon myself.
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/19/21 05:26 PM

Awesome! Persistence pays off. Hope you two put a GIANT in the boat or at least get it alongside for some pics! Be safe brother thumb

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/19/21 06:02 PM

Totally awesome. Glad y’all got a good one. Jax will be stroked to get one

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/19/21 10:16 PM

Wooo Hooo! Way to go Chris! I knew you would get in the win column. What an awesome fish! I'm pullin for Jax this weekend. I know he can get it done! Congratulations brother!

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/20/21 01:36 AM

Congrats! One under the belt.

Now for that big one again.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/21/21 02:26 AM

Nice work buddy!

Ken
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/21/21 05:15 PM

Caught this one a couple weeks ago on Grapevine while chasing white bass, My nephew had to reach over side of boat to get it cuz the net was too small
[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/22/21 04:20 AM

I was just doing some research on something else less than an hour ago & I saw one icon that just noted image. So I set the mouse cursor on it to get a glance. Whoa!!! I thought the 135 Yellow was big that I have as part of the photo collage on the cover of the 2021 hard copy Calendar for 2021. This one is huge, This Yellow almost covers up the guy behind him holding it up. He has it in a hug, belly to belly. Looking at the body going into the water, I would assume it must be pushing almost 6 feet tall.

If "The Giant" is anywhere near this size, one of us will have to swim back to camp beside the boat, as there may not be enough room for all of us in the boat. It seems the photo is dated August 22, 2018 as when I snipped it from somewhere, but I looked back & don't have any details listed for it, as to where I found it, or how much it weighed. Or its total length. It is 530 KB if somebody wants me to email it to them so they can post it here on this thread. I showed the picture to my Mom & she said she hopes "The Giant" is not quite that big.

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/22/21 04:23 AM

thumb

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/22/21 09:47 PM

OK, I had no takers about posting that pic I found of a super sized YC, so I just resuurected my "Giant" thread since I am getting things ready for my rendevous once again with it.

So, the guy's tremendously huge Yellow is over on < Catfish Tales/Tails: "The Giant" >.

Again, that is NOT me, NOR is it "The Giant". But it gives you an idea of what might be possible, as "The Giant" pulls like a tractor.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/24/21 03:25 PM

I've enjoyed following everyone in the catfish section as I am predominately a bass fisherman and don't spend much time chasing other species. I love fishing in general so if I decide to take a break from the green fish, I'll usually go after the crappie and cats. I think flatheads are cool fish. Have caught many big blues but rarely if ever a flathead. I was fishing a bass tournament on Ray Roberts this weekend and hooked the lake record largemouth and guaranteed tournament winner. Plastic worm, 6ft of water, next to a big rock. Perfect ambush spot for a big bass. Fish swims to the trees and after a minute or two, decides it just wants to lay on the bottom....hmmm, not acting like a big bass. I can't move this fish off the bottom. Literally won't budge. If it didn't shake his head once or twice, I'd have thought it had come off and I was stuck in a limb. Then it decides to swim another 20 or so feet, taking drag (easily) the whole time. This fish is STRONG. After taking me back and forth around the trolling motor a few times, from the front to the back of the boat, around the big motor and in and out of a bunch of trees I'm starting to regret losing valuable tournament time fishing for bass. Fast forward, maybe 10 minutes, I'm just along for the ride. Fishing by myself so I have to man the net. After several failed attempts with the net I finally get lucky. I'm not great at guessing weight on big cats. Have caught blues that were 40lbs and this seemed as heavy or more. Easily could have stuck my whole arm in it's mouth. Pictures don't do it justice but the mouth of the net measures 20 inches across. Beautiful fish. Released. Still cleaning slime off my carpet but well worth it! I'm envious of you catfish experts who get to chase these every week.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/24/21 03:39 PM

I'm jealous! Thats a nice looking flathead. And this is why I don't bass fish! I know it is an obsession for a lot of guys but you can't catch a 40 pound bass. There is nothing like a drag peeling takedown when a toad grabs the bait. Nice job landing that dude on bass tackle.
Posted By: RL206

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/25/21 01:50 AM

[Linked Image] This one came from Hubbard a few years ago, it weighed 82 lbs. I catch 3 or 4 a year, bass fishing. Last year I caught a 57lb cat, they like those 10" power worms

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/25/21 11:57 AM

Look at the head on that thing! Man I love this thread. I would flip over tying into one of those again...

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/25/21 01:06 PM

Incredible!! Hubbard still produces some real Dinosaurs! Lewisville used to crank out a ton of fish that size but they all ended up in someone’s frying pan. I would give my right pinky to catch one like that and lay it in my sons lap! He would go nuts if he got to release one like that!
Posted By: RL206

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/25/21 03:49 PM

I was going to release this one but when I removed the hook, it began to bleed profusely and died so had no choice but to clean it. As I cleaned it, I noticed something in its stomach, so I cut into it and found seven keeper size sandbass, two small gar and what looked like a channel cat in its stomach.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Flathead quest 2021 - 05/25/21 05:31 PM

And I wondered why I didn't catch any bass around that rock! They had all been eaten by the time I got there.....or vacated as soon as the big guy pulled up!
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum