Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing gloves?

Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Fishing gloves? - 04/20/21 06:17 PM

I have fished just about every weekend most of my life and my hands take a beating. I’ve never liked wearing gloves and my paws have been in a constant state of repair the last 30 yrs. Cuts that used to take a few days now take over a week to heal which bleeds into my next weekend fishing trip literally. I tried nitrile gloves 10 yrs ago but gave up on em rather quickly. I tried the other fishing gloves that are missing fingers but don’t like how they feel after they get wet. I’ve recently decided I can’t take having my hands constantly mangled 100% of the time any longer. I bought a box of 4 mil nitrite gloves that were comfortable but I shred 10 pairs in a trip. I ordered some 8 mil so we’ll see how that goes.

What kinds of gloves do you fellas use that fish hard and often?
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/20/21 06:36 PM

I use gorilla work gloves when my hands get chewed up...

https://www.amazon.com/Grease-Monkey-Gorilla-Resistant-Purpose/dp/B07HB1Z7T8/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=work%2Bgloves&qid=1618943592&sr=8-15&th=1
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/20/21 06:59 PM

Mechanix or even harbor freight ( near by) most any similar work glove,
8 mil nitrile will not help, go for canvas type woven glove, even the cheap ones last longer
I feel your pain or did a few years ago.
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/20/21 08:06 PM

Chris,

I have been wearing the nitrile dipped, fabric gloves. Here is a link from Lowes, but can get them at Walmart etc. Catch a sale, and a 10 pack is about a dollar a pair.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-Large-Mens-Polyester-Nitrile-Dipped-Multipurpose-Gloves/50094220

I also put O'Keeffe's Working Hands cream on, under the gloves. Still get wet, and not perfect, but better. Throwing a net, or duck decoys in the winter are hard on hands! And lake water and or engine grease keep hands busted up.

I have thought about buying a good light weight pair of Gortex gloves to actually keep my hands dry, but they are not cheap. And I tend to tear up or blow out of the boat, anything nice!

Good luck,
Ken
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/20/21 11:22 PM

First let me say that I really do not like wearing gloves, but there are situations where you need them. Most of the light weight gloves work for sun protection. For my Plnor fishing method for big fish, where I don’t use a reel, I wear rubber coated gloves. You can get them at any hardware store. I cut the cloth ends off the gloves so I can get them on and off quickly. They are waterproof and provide excellent protection for your hands when you need them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/20/21 11:25 PM

Don't use gloves but like you my hands take a beating. Will be watching this thread closely. thumb

Neat thread. thumb
Posted By: iFloat

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/21/21 03:45 PM

I haven't caught near enough fish to need them. Maybe one day.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/21/21 06:26 PM

On Fox Sports Southwest, Barry has been promoting Glacier Gloves for, well at least a couple years that I know of.
https://glacierglove.com/

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/21/21 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Holzer
On Fox Sports Southwest, Barry has been promoting Glacier Gloves for, well at least a couple years that I know of.
https://glacierglove.com/

I wear the Ice Bay Glacier Gloves in the winter for throwing my cast net when it’s freezing out for the past 10 yrs . They are neoprene and do a great job when it’s 30 or below. I don’t like their warm weather synthetic gloves when they get wet though. Catfish are slimy and I like to handle my fish when unhooking them instead of [censored] footing around with them like Barry does. He can keep his gloves and shirt looking fresh and clean all day but that ain’t me. Those synthetic gloves get so slimed up after gripping 4 or 5 blues that I gotta wash em off. Once they are wet I no longer want to wear them. I don’t have a case of fresh gloves sitting off camera when I’m ready for a new pair like Barry either. I have 5 different brands of warm weather “fishing gloves” and they all suck for catfish.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/21/21 08:07 PM

I was gifted a pair of these a couple years back. They're great and have worked well in the ice storm we had this year. I was out fishing in the snow and hands were warm compared to my face from the winds.
Kast King winter gloves
Posted By: MR. CATFISH

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/24/21 01:08 AM

I like you got tired of having tore up hands especially in the winter, so I started wearing nitrile gloves 7 and 9 mil. They work great. I rarely tear more than one glove a trip. It all depends on if you catch a toad and if they decide to roll on you while your hand is in their mouth getting the hook out.

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/25/21 12:29 AM

I got the 8 mil nitrile gloves and I think these are gonna work out much better than the 4 mil I had been using. Will let y’all know how they do after tomorrow. My hands are still destroyed from last weekend so tomorrow will be a good test. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Billy Goat

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/25/21 01:52 AM

please let us know. my sons hands have always gotten tore up during catfish season. he loses many layers of skin. I swear I think it's blue catfish slime that tears him up, but I'm not certain of it.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/25/21 02:13 AM

Can’t say about fishing but I’ve been using the orange gloves from AutoZone for cleaning deer and hogs as well as cleaning crappie. They look to be like the green ones in your post, just a different color. They’re pretty tough.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/25/21 01:05 PM

I have tried the nitrile gloves before and the only thing I don’t like is how much my hands sweat in them. Any tips to keep hands from sweating? I have tried antiperspirant but it didn’t help

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/25/21 10:04 PM

The 8 mil did the trick fellas. I still went through 4 pair on 17 fish but these didn’t shred when they got a little puncture like the 4 mil did. My hands smell clean, old wounds feel great, no new damage. 👍🤠👍
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/26/21 04:49 PM

I use the bamboo gardening gloves. (not the palm rubber coated)
The gloves are breathable but if you submerge the gloves your hands will be wet, but your hands are protected from scrapes and cuts.
I wring them out and they dry fast and they work well for screening hands from the sun.
I got the tip from a beyond the breakers kayaker!
I'm old and have that old thin skin and my hands cut easily and I use them for cleaning fish and never have had any problems.
Cleaned 50 whites at a time many times, and many catfish without any injury.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/28/21 05:54 AM

I hope the gloves help. I am getting old and clumsy, so for me it seems like between fish, rocks, knives, and hooks; if I ain’t bleeding, I ain’t fishing. roflmao
Posted By: porta

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/28/21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Blazer 2400
I have tried the nitrile gloves before and the only thing I don’t like is how much my hands sweat in them. Any tips to keep hands from sweating? I have tried antiperspirant but it didn’t help

Get a pair of thick nitriles without cloth liner, that are loose on your hands but that don't fall off and cut a small bit of the fingertips off. The insides will get wet if you submerge them and there may be a little sweat. But they mostly dry out with the loose fit air ventilation after a few minutes, or you can quickly take them off and wear them inside out if the humidity is very high, then reverse them back and forth, as the day procedes. When the fingertip holes start to run, cut a small bit off again, to stop the run asap. They don't absorb odors as much as some others, and protect from the Sun.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/28/21 12:00 PM

This is what I use. They're cheap and work great and actually last a while. I usually throw them away because they stink not because they're worn out.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FIRM-GR...3919?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/28/21 12:21 PM

The 8 mil worked great guys. I can’t have loose fitting gloves as they aren’t comfortable to wear all day and I can’t clip and unclip planer boards with them very good. Can’t have soggy wet gloves all day either. My hands get wet from throwing the cast net first thing in the morning Then I chop bait and they get slimy so I have to wash off the slime every time I re-bait hooks. Add on top of that catching and handling 20-35 fish throughout the day and I’m washing the slime off constantly. The great thing about the nitrile gloves is I can wash the slime off my hands 50 times per day and my hands dont get dirty lake water and slime in my old cuts. Hands stayed dry. At the end of last trip my hands smelled clean and my old cuts did not get reinfected. My paws are almost completely healed now and I can’t remember the last time my hands felt this good. The other great thing about those 8 mil nitrile gloves is all your touchscreen electronics like Ipilot Trolling motor remote, Iphone, graph, and GoPro touchscreens will all work with nitrile gloves. The only downside was I did puncture a few pairs hooking bait so I had to put a few new pairs on throughout the day.
Posted By: porta

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/28/21 01:07 PM

Light colors of nitrile gloves are cooler in summer if you are out in the sun, sometimes the insides will be white that stays cool in blazing sun, and unflocked if you plan to reverse them.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/29/21 12:41 PM

I've got two pair of Rapala gloves in the boat. Brand new, never used except to drive the boat in cold weather. I'm always using the fish grippers.

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/29/21 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
I've got two pair of Rapala gloves in the boat. Brand new, never used except to drive the boat in cold weather. I'm always using the fish grippers.

I use fish grippers for 10 lb fish and up. Can’t hardly get a grippers in an eaters mouth without grabbing it and jamming the gripper in there. And what about handling and chopping bait? Most of my cuts and abrasions aren’t from the actual fish. Most are from having wet hands all day which makes the callous soft and easily damaged. Grabbing lines to unclip boards, knuckle scrapes, and who knows what else. In the heat of battle when 2-3 rods are going down or I have a big fish hooked up I will bang around like a caveman trying to get the landing net ready or move other rods out of the way fighting a bigger fish. Getting Shad slime and guts in those cuts keeps my hands sore all week.

I also work outside with my hands so I usually show up to the lake with a few scrapes ready to be infected as soon as I get bait. The nitrile gloves protected those old cuts and nothing got infected. My hands are almost completely healed for the first time in a long time.

I realize that constant banged up and infected hands probably isn’t an issue for a lot of you guys but for those of y’all like me who fish every week and are constantly dealing with this issue, get you some 8-9 mil nitrile gloves and your hands will thank you for it!
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/29/21 04:32 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Them blues 'ill getcha...

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/30/21 10:39 PM

Gato,

where did you end up getting the gloves from? online, or actual store?

thanks

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/30/21 10:56 PM

Amazon Prime

Re: Fishing gloves? - 04/30/21 11:26 PM

10-4. thanks for speedy response.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Fishing gloves? - 05/02/21 12:56 PM

I started wearing fishing gloves several years ago. The Glacier gloves are great but don’t last long. Academy stores sells an off brand that has thin leather sewn in to the high wear spots that work pretty good. Bass and crappie fishing I wear them 100% of the time. As stated above the slime on blues stick to the gloves and it’s a mess. I usually start with them on and end the day with them laying in the bottom of the boat. Lol I keep a home made flipper wire I use to take the fish off the hook that helps but I still end up slimy before long.
I’ll keep watching this post for good ideas.
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Fishing gloves? - 05/02/21 02:27 PM

Flex Seal has a lot of good options these days. Just dip your hands in this each morning and you should be good to go. It also comes in black and gray depending on which color belt you wear that day.

[Linked Image]

Re: Fishing gloves? - 05/02/21 05:35 PM

Cheers to nitrile gloves! 🍻
We just hit the 40 mark and I’m only on my second pair of gloves today. My hands are loving these! 👍🤠👍

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout

Re: Fishing gloves? - 05/02/21 05:57 PM

Tim, it looks like you have trying to handle saltwater fish there. LOL.

Azul, I totally get it. My hands get ruffed up from bass and brim, much less cats.

Re: Fishing gloves? - 05/03/21 02:33 PM

We ended up catching over 50 eater sized fish yesterday and my hands don’t have a single sore spot on em today. These gloves are a game changer for me. I went through 4 pairs throughout the day.
Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout

Re: Fishing gloves? - 05/03/21 04:52 PM

That is awesome and thank you for the update!
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: Fishing gloves? - 05/09/21 06:54 PM

My daughter got me some Huk Sun Gloves from Bass Pro Shops online. They are light and comfortable. They dry out really fast on or off my hands, have great grip, and most of all they have good enough feeling and flexibility that I can tie a fly onto a 4 lb leader with them on. They look sort of like the Mechanix gloves from Autozone but they (in my opinion) are lighter and a lot more comfortable. I have been using them for about a year and finally need a new pair. Not because they are no longer serviceable but they are starting to get ugly to look at stains and all.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum