Texas Fishing Forum

Lewisville 4-18 and Jaxon’s first jr lake record channel cat

Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Lewisville 4-18 and Jaxon’s first jr lake record channel cat - 04/18/21 08:50 PM

Got out and pulled boards this morning with first mate action Jaxon. We got bait in 22 ft and headed north. I had planned on anchoring up in some current but the further I went north the colder the water was getting. most of the fish I was marking were in 8 ft in the mouth of coves with creeks feeding them. We drifted 2 different creek mouths in 8ft and had steady action all morning but couldn’t get a big fish in the boat. Missed a toad with a tail as big as a 5 g bucket. Hit hard and almost full breached the surface as it spit my hook and gave me the finger. Man it’s fun when those monsters hit like that in the shallow water. Sure wish we could have landed him cuz we’re running out of toad season quickly. We ended up with 25 eaters. Biggest fish was a 9 lb Channel and we turned loose everything over 5 lbs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/18/21 09:22 PM

Nice. That's a toad of a channel cat. We couldn't get the big girls to play yesterday either. You should be about ready for that fish fry you got volunteered for smile

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/18/21 09:48 PM

That was the final haul for the spring fish fry Tim. We’ll be turning most of ours loose now that I’m off the hook. I hate cleaning fish. I’m sure I will get volunteered to supply the fish again next year. Last year they only gave me 2 weeks notice and I was under the gun to get enough for 100 folks. Wife let me get a few extra trips in during the week so I could get it done.

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/19/21 12:09 AM

Gee that was nice of her! hahaha... Have a good week brother. Talk to you later...

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/19/21 12:30 PM

Thanks Tim! My guide buddy Steve just told me Jaxon’s Channel Cat was a Jr. lake record. From this day forth I pledge to get all his records certified.

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/19/21 08:49 PM

Good for him. I did the same thing with Wyatt. He caught a 7 pounder a while back. I had no idea the Jr. Lake Record was only 2 pounds and something...
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/20/21 01:56 AM

Awesome post and huge congratulations to "Action Jackson" on getting his first of many more waterbody records. bow_down
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/20/21 08:14 PM

Been a few days since I have posted. Great job Jax. Glad y’all are on them. I haven’t been on the lake in a few weeks. I am sooooo ready to get out there. Crossing my fingers for this Saturday.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/20/21 10:59 PM

Nice job. Congrats to you and your son. thumb
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/20/21 11:44 PM

Awesome job!

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/21/21 12:59 AM

Thanks amigos cheers
What’s happening Mike! Long time no talk to amigo! I already have a pretty good idea what you’ve been up to man! Hope all is well!
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/22/21 01:43 AM

thumb
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/22/21 11:47 AM

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/22/21 12:52 PM

Great job Jaxson and Gato!!! banana Congratulations that looked like a fun time!!! If I can stop chasing the panfish for a little while I may be chasing some catfish thumb

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/22/21 02:02 PM

Thanks my catfishin Bros! cheers

Check out Disco manning the rod in the background while me and Jax were snapping a few pics. That rod went down and we caught another fish on that rod right after that pic. When that dog gets up on the casting deck you best be paying attention cuz one of those rods is going down. He could probably reel one in if I spent a little time training him to do it. I’ve had a lot of fishing dogs over the years but none of them were on Discos level! He is the finest Catfishing cowdog I’ve ever seen.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/22/21 02:20 PM

Disco is awesome. Did you add a gimbal to the whisker seeker rod that Disco is watching? If so which gimbal did you add? I have been thinking of adding one on mine because this tekotas are heavy and mine wants to always rotate when I am drifting

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/22/21 02:46 PM

I added a gimbal butt mount to that rod Matt as well as several others I use for pulling boards for the exact reason you stated. I can’t remember which ones I bought though. I had to buy several different sizes cuz once I ripped off the old butt pad the diameter of the rod was much smaller than the inside diameter of the butt pad I bought online. My BCF and WC rods do not have gimbal caps but they do have a larger rounded ball for an end cap which keeps the rods from spinning in your outriggers and flush mounts like the WS tend to do. I contacted WS with my request to add the gimbal or a bigger butt cap about a year ago and they got back in touch with me and seemed very interested. I explained why and they were more than interested. I was later contacted by someone else at WS who wanted to discuss further. I really thought they might add a better butt cap on there 3rd gen rods. I love the action of my WS rods for straight up drifting and anchoring but I prefer my bcf trolling rods for pulling boards. I did hear that WS upgraded the wrapped handle and it is now solid but have not seen one in person yet. Maybe they fixed the butt pad with this new version. I will try and look up what gimbal pads I bought this afternoon but if I were you I would measure the outside diameter of your current WS butt pad and then buy the rubber ones that slip on over that one. It will work just as good as the gimbal pads and you will not be voiding your warranty by altering the rod.

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/22/21 06:10 PM

Sounds good bud. I will look up rubber gimbals and see what’s available

Re: Lewisville 4-18 - 04/22/21 06:46 PM

http://www.therodroom.com/shop/pc/GRC-Fuji-Soft-Rubber-Gimbal-Cap-p3331.htm

Something similar to these
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum