Texas Fishing Forum

Spinning reel recommendations??

Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout

Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/16/21 12:13 PM

Who uses spinning reels and what brand/size do you use?

Duane
Posted By: iFloat

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/16/21 12:18 PM

I ordered several of the Kast King Sharky 3 reels. I've used them fishing the surf, and catfishing. Caught up to a 40lb cat no problem. Reeled in a big ray at the gulf in march bout whipped me, but the reel handled it fine. Also about a 40lb drum in heavy current put up a 15 minute fight, no problem. I've used the 3000, 4000, and 5000. I like the ones with the baitrunner clicker built in.

I've only owned them a year, but they're great for $60. They feel as nice as any Penn I've used. I'm sure the difference would be longevity, but so far no issues.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/16/21 01:10 PM

You just got to major points I was looking at. I favor Penn reels and I want a Live Liner/Bait Runner.

I am as debating the Fierce III Spinfisher VI, but was wondering about the Piscifun Carnivore and KastKing Sharky
Posted By: iFloat

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/16/21 02:13 PM

I mean, if you want to spend alot, i'm sure that eventually the Penn would be better. But there's nothing wrong with the Sharky 3 after a year of good use.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/16/21 02:34 PM

You are so awesome!!!

If I was 100% adamant about buying a Penn, I would have never asked for advise!

Posted By: Caribou

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/16/21 04:38 PM

KastKing reels have good reviews. I’m extremely partial to the Okuma Avenger ABF reels.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/16/21 05:45 PM

I love it, bring it on. LOL.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/17/21 03:09 PM

Dieter Melhorn been wearing them out on those new Piscifun Viper X and Carnivore spinning reels, plus they have a feature like a clicker too, if you want to freespool it. Not very expensive either.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/17/21 03:41 PM

Dieter is the reason I was entertaining the idea of a Piscifun reel. I have two Piscifun fly reels, but that is like comparing apples to oranges.

Dieter is awesome. He makes it look easy. I also love the way he is promoting the sport and not the expensive gear.

The “clicker” option is the Bait-Feeder / Live Liner options we were discussing. And I agree 100% with you, they are advantageous to use for cat fishing. LOL
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/19/21 08:42 PM

I have three Daiwa BG's,6500,5000 & 4500.Never found smoother drags on any reel at this price point,bout $110-120 at SRMO.They'll horse in beast or let you play them.Probably the only spinning reels I'll ever own for big blues.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/20/21 08:58 PM

I should preface this with the fact that I have:
Penn Battle II 2500
Penn Conflict 2000
Penn Clash 2500
Daiwa BG 2500
Daiwa BG 3000

I think the BG is an awesome reel. I am just looking for a “bait feeder” option.

I even considered the Daiwa Emcast Bite Run. No one has brought it up yet. LOL

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/21/21 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fly Fishing Scout

I think the BG is an awesome reel. I am just looking for a “bait feeder” option.

I even considered the Daiwa Emcast Bite Run. No one has brought it up yet. LOL

I've seen the Emcast but have no experience with it.I'm strictly a tightliner/slip floater with circle hooks

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/21/21 11:01 AM

Ok, after looking at Daiwa a little more I found out what these types of reels are favored for carp fishing. A lot of the reviews I have found are not in English. LOL.

THANK YOU to everyone who responded!! I am going to go to the carp section and ask questions.
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/21/21 12:48 PM

Interesting conversation guys. I watch Dieter all the time and I agree with the comment about him being helpful by using reels, both baitcasters and spinning reels, that don't break the bank. All this gives context for guys who are either just starting out or wanting to upgrade. When it comes to rods and reels it seems there are more and more options everyday. Like everything else it's a buyer beware system. A manufacturer slaps a catfish on the side of a reel and charges $30 more for it.

I bought some Kast King Brutus reels for channel cat fishing this summer. I want to see what my grandkids can do with a slip cork rig and some punch bait when the blues are on the nest in June. I'm looking forward to using them.

Tight lines fellas!

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/21/21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Whistlebritches
I have three Daiwa BG's,6500,5000 & 4500.Never found smoother drags on any reel at this price point,bout $110-120 at SRMO.They'll horse in beast or let you play them.Probably the only spinning reels I'll ever own for big blues.

While the majority of my fishing is from the bank, indulge me and share what size reel you prefer for Blues, if you would be so kind.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/21/21 01:12 PM

Tim, funny you mention that.

1) This reel is going to be primarily for my 10 Year Old who is my mini me and fishing buddy.
The point of this reel is so he can set up his own catfish lines.

2) While I own 11 “6000/6500” Ambassadeurs, he doesn’t do to well with those.
I letting him get proficient with a tuned up 5500 first.

Duane
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/21/21 01:43 PM

Duane, I bought a dock demon for my 4 year old grandson. When we are out chasing blue cats, he is up front on the casting deck, throwing that thing over and over and over. He has become pretty good at casting a spinning reel by doing that. Next step for him is the Brutus. He also kept bugging me to throw the cast net. I bought him a little 4' net and taught him to throw it. He is a champ with that little thing.
My 8 year old grandson started out the same way. Those bait casters are a hard trick to get down. I think you are doing exactly the right thing starting out with a spinning reel...

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/21/21 02:18 PM

My fishing buddy, who is trying to steel my Battle II. LOL

[Linked Image]

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/22/21 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Whistlebritches

While the majority of my fishing is from the bank, indulge me and share what size reel you prefer for Blues, if you would be so kind.

I started with the 6500,it is a big reel.My first big fish on it was 38 lb'r from the bank.It was then that I realized I should've went with the 5000.I have since added the 4500.The biggest fish on the 5000 has been around 20 and the 4500 was a 26 and it performed like a champ.I'd have to say the 5000 or 4500 is perfect for big blues . I've been using the 6500 for slip floating flatheads,a big one needs all the reel you have.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/23/21 12:00 PM

You are awesome and thank you!!!

That’s a great starting point!

I get it, it’s not about the line capacity, it’s the gears. I have a plethora of smaller reels, I was already looking a larger reels to fill this facet.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/24/21 03:38 AM

i have 10 garcias, 6500,7000's but i bought a shimano tekota 500 and it is the best i have seen. Makes garcia feel like a zebco

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/26/21 12:38 PM

I have 26 round reels to include various Ambassadeurs and Penns. If I am ever in the market for one again I will look at one.

Thank you.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/26/21 01:46 PM

I have 26 round reels to include various Ambassadeurs and Penns. If I am ever in the market for one again I will look at one.

Thank you.

Why on earth would you fish for big catfish with a spinning reel if you have a bunch of Abus? Spinning reels don’t cast nearly as far, they are less accurate, and getting one out of a rod holder when a toad is hooked up is very awkward because the reel is upside down in the rod holder. If you have a bunch of Abus then those are a much better catfish reel then any spinning reel on the market. Most of the anglers I know that use spinning reels use them because that’s what they grew up using and are comfortable with, not because of the performance.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/26/21 02:43 PM

Hahahahaha!!!

This is an awesome response!!!!!

I have been asking questions about spinning reels because my 10 and 13 year old boys have problems using bait casting reels. That simple. I actually prefer the round reels. My Ambassadors are the 1911 of round reels and I can take them apart and service them with ease. Parts are also easy to find.

As of right now, I don’t see us hooking anything over 20 pounds. Just saying. We mainly fish private ponds. The largest body of water we currently fish is Bonham State park and is only 65 acres in size.

My youngest is my fishing buddy and I am trying to fuel that interest!

Tight lines!!

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/26/21 03:13 PM

That’s a great reason Scout! cheers 🎣🎣. Get em going young!

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/26/21 03:50 PM

If your getting a spinning reel for your boys to learn then I recommend getting small profile cheap spinning reel so that it’s easier for them to handle with their small hands. Light to med light action rod that is short is much easier for a little guy to handle too. This is good for all small fish and when they get good at using it they will start breaking off a few bigger fish. Those break offs are what sparked my interest in baitcasters when I was a about your son’s age. My son is 5 and he can cast my Pfleuger President I used to use fir crappie no problem. His problem is he can’t sit still long enough to shore fish and he is throwing rocks and sticks within 2 minutes. We do catfish by boat every weekend but he uses my Tekotas and I do all the casting.
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/26/21 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊

Thank you.

Why on earth would you fish for big catfish with a spinning reel if you have a bunch of Abus? Spinning reels don’t cast nearly as far, they are less accurate, and getting one out of a rod holder when a toad is hooked up is very awkward because the reel is upside down in the rod holder. If you have a bunch of Abus then those are a much better catfish reel then any spinning reel on the market. Most of the anglers I know that use spinning reels use them because that’s what they grew up using and are comfortable with, not because of the performance.

Some of that is correct, but spinning reels will outcast baitcasters pretty much every time. There’s a reason long distance casters use spinning reels. I also disagree about accuracy. For short range accuracy, like throwing lures, you may possibly be right, but at distance I don’t think it matters at all either way. There are also some benefits to spinning reels. Line capacity being a huge one. And you can often get equal quality reels for less money than a baitcaster.

That all being said, most of my catfish reels are still abu 5500/6500s. But spinning reels certainly aren’t inferior to bait casters.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/27/21 06:03 AM

Everybody has their own personal preference Caribou. I used spinning reels for sandbass and crappie when I was a kid but I prefer baitcasters for catfish and always have. I’ve fished with quite a few Bluecat guides over the years and they all used baitcasters for catfish unless it was for channel cats and punch bait. I’m also buddies with quite a few high level Bluecat anglers and none of them use spinning reels either. If I need a reel with more line capacity I buy a bigger bait caster. The #1 reason spinning reels are used for surf casting isn’t because they cast big heavy rigs further either. It’s because they are much cheaper in price.

Here is an article on baitcasters vs spinning reels for catfish.

https://www.catfishsutton.com/baitcaster-reel-vs-spinner-reel/

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/27/21 06:11 AM

Here is another good article of spinning reels vs baitcasters for catfish. .

https://www.catfishedge.com/catfish-reels/
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/27/21 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Caribou
Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊

Thank you.

Some of that is correct, but spinning reels will outcast baitcasters pretty much every time. There’s a reason long distance casters use spinning reels.
That all being said, most of my catfish reels are still abu 5500/6500s. But spinning reels certainly aren’t inferior to bait casters.

I know if you drive down PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) you'll see long rodders staked out fishing. Most of their gear are bait casters not spinners and their throwing 700-800 feet to the 3rd gut.

I do agree there are plenty of spinning reels that will hold up to any freshwater catfish on a daily basis. Penn didn't make their mark in the industry by selling bait casters. Their spinning reels are used daily to bring in 500 pound tuna. A good spinning reel will no doubt get the job done.

Comes down to what you prefer to hold and throw. IMO it's easier on my hands/arms to fight larger fish with bait caster.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/27/21 12:48 PM

Man, I'm glad I clicked on this thread or I wouldn't have known I've been doing it all wrong all these many decades!

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/27/21 01:47 PM

Just because you’ve been doing something for decades doesn’t mean it’s the best way. You prefer to do it that way but the vast majority might do it differently. You guys can listen to me and Jimbo go back and fourth or you could do a quick internet search of spinning reels vs baiitcasters for catfish and decide for yourselves. I’m betting that most of y’all will want a baitcaster after you’ve researched it. Obviously Jimbo is a spinning reel guy and I am not. I posted the links above so that y’all can inform yourselves and make your own decisions. There is no right of wrong way, only preference.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/27/21 03:48 PM

Ok, look... I was not trying to start a Holy war like with a mono vs braid debate, I was just trying to do some homework before I made a couple of purchases. This wonderful sport has so many different facets and opportunities. We sometimes forget this sport spans the entire globe, and people fish with different gear geographically. Let’s face it, there is even a difference between East Coast and West Coast fishing in the states.

Bottom line, this is a God Bless America free and public forum. An awesome place where we can share experance’s and learn new tips & tricks and respect each other’s preferences. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t want to learn.

I don’t think spinning reels are “cheaper.” Penn, Daiwa, Shimano, Etc... all have high quality spinning reels in their premium spinning line. For example.

Shimano Stella at 849 to 1199
Daiwa Saltiga at 999 to 1099
Okuma Makaira at 799 to 879
Penn Torque at 699 to 799

Moreover, we could do this same comparison with baitcasters. Chad Ferguson promotes buying quality bait casting reels and not junk imitations. And, there are bait casters that can get pricey as well. Just go look at the Akios reels.

Buy the time I upgrade my Ambassadeurs, I average between 200+ in the reel. That is the reel and all the upgrades. But I am that crazy person. LOL.

But look at that from the other standpoint. If we are willing to investing so much money into a baitcasting reel, why wouldn’t you do so for a spinning reel? Not doing so could be considered double standard.

One of the issues Chad Ferguson has with spinning reels is the clicker option. This is the reason I have been asking questions about baitfeeder or live liner reels, which are apparently much more popular in the Europe than they are in the States. (Long cast spinning reels are also more popular in Europe as well, but moving on...)
Now we come to the meat and potato differences. It is much harder to find a good spinning reel with a “clicker.” After this post, I am probably just going to go with the Penn Live Liner model if I ever buy another spinning reel for catfishing.

I think a better argument could be made for a size comparison. Personally, I think it would take a larger spinning reel to equal the same structural integrity of a baitcasting reel. Yes you can catch larger catfish on a 4000/5000 size reel, but it is harder on your equipment. That was addressed further above in this thread as well. Your reel size could be an issue if you have limited room on a boat.
(Yes, a 4000/5000 spinning reel holds a lot of braid, but catfisherman are not known for playing fish as much as saltwater fisherman. Why, you can play fish in saltwater and we have to worry about structure when catfishing.)

Like it has been said, it’s preference. Luke from Cats and Carps prefers Okuma spinning reels. I have never used an Okuma and I favor Penn reels because that is what I have used and that’s what I am familiar with. (Ps, if you watch any of Luke’s videos he does address wearing out the gears and having to replace said gears. Maybe this is why he went with Okuma as he can obtain replacement parts, I don’t know.)

Now, in the category not addressed, rods. Rods have a bigger impact on casting performance than the baitcast/spinning debate. Even Chad Ferguson stated that the biggest problem with spinning reels was the lack of “catfish” rods available. Ironically, I wonder if this is one of the reasons Luke from “Cats and Carps” has used a lot of European spinning gear in his videos.

My thanks to everyone who has posted. It has helped me in more ways than one. I didn’t start this thread to be told what I wanted to hear. The responses in the posts have been awesome.

Duane

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/27/21 03:51 PM

Getting back on subject, the Daiwa Emcast baitfeeder came in the mail yesterday. 5000 model I found as a “display piece” on sale for 60 shipped.

150 yards of 20lb braid on top of 125 yards of 20lb mono. I put it on a 7ft bass rod, because that’s all I had, and the 10 year old was casting a 3/4 oz weight over 50 yards with ease. I set up a 5 gal bucket and he could get within 10 yard of it almost every time. He had a blast was getting very good considering the technique change from the ultra light to the heavy rig. Within about 5 min he was getting within 5 yards of the bucket at 50 yards consistently. Nice start.

Think I am going to pick up a decent rod for it before we head out fishing this weekend.

Duane.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/27/21 07:21 PM

Duane I have a Penn Fierce 2 6000 live liner spinning reel (bought the combo actually on sale at Cabela's for $100) and have zero complaints. I have caught a couple decent fish off of it including a mid 40" kingfish. Haven't caught any cats on it but have no doubt it would handle em well.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/27/21 08:29 PM

Jerry, you are fantastic!

I called Penn and they told me if I was not going to be using the reel in saltwater to look at the Fierce III over the Spinfisher. With that being said, my youngest has already proven he can handle a large reel. I see a Fierce III in a birthday box in the future. I think he would have slept with the Emcast if I would have let him last night.

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/27/21 09:00 PM

Jerry, you are fantastic!

I think he would have slept with the Emcast if I would have let him last night.

That’s good stuff right there. You should have let him sleep with it Scout. I remember sleeping with my first good rod and reel I got when I was 8. It was as Shimano Bantam paired with a Shimano Bullwhip rod in 1982. Man I loved that thing! I also got a handful of Jimmy Houston’s diamond blade spinnerbaits that had just hit the market. Great time in a boys life getting his first good rod and reel. cheers

Re: Spinning reel recommendations?? - 04/28/21 11:58 AM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum