Texas Fishing Forum

Stubby's cheesebait

Posted By: Asbeck

Stubby's cheesebait - 03/19/21 03:33 AM

I bought Stubby's cheesebait earlier this week and gave it a try. It was dry and crumbly. I really had a tough time forming a ball on my #4 treble hook. Made a mess on the carpet floor of my boat. I called the 817 number earlier today but have not heard back from anyone. $17 for the larger tub is a bitter pill to swallow. Has anyone else had this problem? I expected much more from all the hype about his dip bait on TFF.
Posted By: šŸ€El Gato AzulšŸ€

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/19/21 03:43 AM

Those guys will take care of ya Iā€™m sure. In their defense I paid $17 for a cheeseburger and fries at Jakes burgers yesterday. I think 1 of my drift rigs costs close to 10 bucks these days. Lmao! ... fishin b $pendive!
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/19/21 10:02 AM

It's also good on Ritz crackers.

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/19/21 12:25 PM

Thanks. I was kinda hoping someone might pop up with a concoction I can use to bring this stuff back to life.
Posted By: Marc-62

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/19/21 01:10 PM

Have you tried punching sum small holes in the bait and adding a little bit of water. I used a knife and put 4 slots down to bottom and added water and worked it in helped bring my Stubbies back to life.
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/19/21 02:41 PM

I will let Littlewheel or Stubby respond with a resolution to the problem, but I would guess the the product got dried out due to age at the place you bought it. It must have been there a long time. One year I left a tub of Stubby's in my boat while I was away all summer and fall. The stuff had turned mahogany brown. I slowly stirred in some water and cooking oil to soften it up. Bingo! It still caught cats. I had purchased another fresh tub, just to compare, and the old stuff caught as many as the fresh. It will be hard to stir in the liquid, but stay with it until it is the consistency you want.
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/19/21 03:17 PM

I've had only good things to say about Stubby's. When I've seen what you describe, it's been because the bait was cold. You could try working it in your hands a bit more, to warm it, before putting it on the hook. Bring it inside for a couple of hours and see if it works better. If you do try the mentioned water, or veggie oil, use really tiny amounts. It's super easy to add too much and you end up in a loop of adding water/oil and then flour, trying to get the consistency where you want it. Then it's different when you're fishing, because of the outside temperature.
The only additions I've made (ever) is to add a bit of flour to compensate for the heat of the summer. Even then, keeping it on ice (in the cooler) works better imo.

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/19/21 07:14 PM

Good idea by Ed. Add just a little liquid at a time. It is a lot harder to get it out than it is to put more in.

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/20/21 01:11 AM

Thanks guys, I spoke with Stubby this morning and he explained the procedure for restoring his bait. I did as he instructed and all is well. I will be on the water in the morning armed with my tub of Stubby's cheesebait dip.
Posted By: lamar44

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/20/21 01:21 AM

OK, now share. What did he tell you to do ?
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/20/21 04:45 AM

He would have told him to poke a hole in the middle and add a little bit of water. Not vegetable oil. Keep in mind that it is also not a dip bait or punch bait. Sounds like you were trying to use it correctly. Apologize that you had problems. Keep us posted please.
Posted By: Marc-62

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/20/21 01:12 PM

Bait 956 & Ed should be sure to follow Stubby or Littlewheels advice. I posted what Littlewheel told me to do with my dried Stubbies bait about 3 weeks ago. So I'll stand by my post of small hole & little water.

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/20/21 02:43 PM

Marc, I am sure that will work, as I have done it. But I have also used a small amount of cooking oil, and it worked too. I have discussed this with Stubby.
Be sure not to use too much or it will not stick to the hook as well. Just enough to soften it up.
That being said, water works better. Whatever softens your bait.

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/21/21 12:18 AM

That is exactly what I did. Thanks Littlewheel. Push a hole in the middle, add a small amount of water and then work it with your fingers until you have the consistency of cookie dough. Sounds easy eh? Add a little more water if needed or until your wife tells you to stop. hehehe Caught 18 today, 20 day before yesterday so I guess I got it figured out. Tight lines boys.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Stubby's cheesebait - 03/21/21 02:20 AM

Iā€™m glad it worked out for you. Everybody just needs to understand that Stubby and myself care about our customers being successful. We are easy to reach and welcome a phone call anytime. Itā€™s not just about selling bait, itā€™s about being a part of making someone elseā€™s program better. Thanks guys.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum