Texas Fishing Forum

any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there?

Posted By: z289sec

any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there? - 03/13/21 08:17 PM

I've watched a couple, but they weren't specifically for how to throw and load up a taped cast net. I get about one out of 20 that doesn't taco the net. Usually it gets tangled in that 50 foot long hand rope, on the way out. Or I just can't get that super stiff tape they use, to not catch on itself on the way out. Zero problems using a non taped net, but can't cast this thing to save my life. Also makes it tougher I have to cast over a fence on a pontoon boat, and they say to choke up further, but it seems to tangle worse the further I choke up on it. And it's a 1.6 lb per foot, so it's pretty heavy. After I finally get it open, to catch bait, I'm ready to load up and go home. LOL

And yes, I went in and clipped all the tag ends on the braille lines, and softened it several times trying to relax the tape. The net softens, but not that tape.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there? - 03/13/21 08:57 PM

Re: any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there? - 03/13/21 09:06 PM

thank you sir, I'll try your way. it's a little different from my normal way

Re: any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there? - 03/13/21 09:44 PM

No problem. You can’t throw a heavy net the normal way very good...most everyone has to learn a new method when they first start throwing one.
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there? - 03/14/21 04:03 PM

Nice job Chris. I throw mine with the 50/50 method. Very similar to yours. Yours looks like it takes less effort. I think I might give it a try.
Posted By: gregpaul

Re: any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there? - 03/16/21 02:47 AM

Calusa.com
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there? - 03/17/21 01:51 PM

Most I think look down on it now, but I use the method where the net is in my mouth. For me, I can throw any big net this way very effectively. I can also tell by the way it feels in my hands if it's not loaded right and can reset to prevent the wasted taco throw.

Re: any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there? - 03/18/21 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by TRH (formerly xpress00)
Most I think look down on it now, but I use the method where the net is in my mouth. For me, I can throw any big net this way very effectively. I can also tell by the way it feels in my hands if it's not loaded right and can reset to prevent the wasted taco throw.

My problem is the tape. No matter how I hold it, it never feels like it's loaded right. Nets without the tape, no problem. Although, using El Gato's method, I was able to make it open, throwing it in my yard. Gonna try it out on the water if the wind ever dies down enough to where it won't blow away or back in my face.

Re: any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there? - 03/20/21 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊

Method worked perfect, thanks for the help!!!! Caught about 5 dozen on my first throw this morning, all 5 to 8 inchers. Even had to turn some back at the end of the day. That heavy net got really heavy, really quick, with that load, like dragging up a manhole cover. Sure was nice not having a bunch of 3 to 4 inchers gilled in the mesh. Glad I bought the 5/8 mesh, thanks for the recommendation on the net, too.

Re: any videos on how to throw a taped cast net out there? - 03/22/21 01:49 AM

No problem Z. Glad to help amigo!. Good thing about throwing in mid depths is I usually only make 1-3 throws to get enough high quality bait for the day and it’s there 95% of the time. You really gotta make those throws count though cuz after 5 your smoked and it can mess up your day. Makes you look harder for better concentrations of bait instead of throwing on scattered bait a dozen times. Hunting and finding those high concentrations of bait will help you pattern and locate blues 10 times as good I guarantee it. Other thing is you’ll catch every species of fish in the lake in that deep net. Pay attention when you do and you’ll learn exactly how to tell the difference between all species of fish on your graph and it’s a huge game changer when your confident in knowing exactly what your looking at on the graph.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum