Texas Fishing Forum

Little Advice

Posted By: tx6158

Little Advice - 03/13/21 04:20 PM

I have not put out trot lines in years but planning to put a couple out next week while the kids are on Spring Break. I mainly bass or white perch fish on occasion.
What depth should I focus on this time of year? Mainly looking for numbers. When I did put out lines a few times a year usually picked a small cove to try and be out of the wind and put my line out shallow to deep with cut up hot dogs or bait shrimp

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: Little Advice - 03/13/21 05:58 PM

Just remember, a fairly new law in Texas is that it is now illegal to use imported shrimp for bait. I posted this at the bottom of March on Lynn's Catfish Calendar thread here on TFF---

ADDENDUNM--- I forgot to add. The other day, I saw something on p. 80 bottom right in the TP&W mag March 2021. It seems now it is illegal to use any shrimp for bait in Texas that is not from the Gulf (Gulf of Mexico). It seems even though imported shrimp is safe to eat, it can carry white-spot syndrome. If used for bait, this virus can apparently wipe out native shrimp, crab, and crawfish here in Texas.

<www.tpwd.texas.gov/baitshrimp>
Posted By: tx6158

Re: Little Advice - 03/13/21 10:29 PM

I didn’t know about the new law. Thank you. Unfortunately I just got back from the store from buying frozen bait shrimp
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum