Texas Fishing Forum

Cats hitting lures

Posted By: Tommar

Cats hitting lures - 03/01/21 07:28 PM

Caught this yesterday on a T-rigged Paca Craw with claws dipped in chartreuse.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/01/21 07:45 PM

Nice fish. Bet the fight was AWESOME ! thumb
Posted By: Sumfish

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/01/21 10:53 PM

I caught a big yellowcat on a rattletrap back in the 80s. Know of a couple other guys that caught them on big plastic worms, too. Nice channel BTW.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/02/21 12:26 AM

Nice fish. Channel cats also like some of the flies out there.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/02/21 02:45 PM

Great fish Tom! Any bass?

Wait... channel? I would have swore that was a blue?
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/02/21 03:48 PM

caught many huge cats over 20lbs pitching a heavy bass jig in thick cover. always black and blue and mostly flat heads.

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/02/21 05:04 PM

Channel? Dam. I just thought it was a blue. Didn’t pay that much attention. Would have been my PB for a channel cat and I didn’t weigh it.

Nothing else caught that day. I only fished a couple hours. Mostly messed with my graphs and new trolling motor.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/02/21 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tommar
Channel? Dam. I just thought it was a blue. Didn’t pay that much attention. Would have been my PB for a channel cat and I didn’t weigh it.

Nothing else caught that day. I only fished a couple hours. Mostly messed with my graphs and new trolling motor.

Nice! Hopefully we can get down there soon... if that lake comes up just a bit I can get the guys to make the drive!

I am like 95% sure that is a blue cat though Tom. I caught one down there flipping trees as well. I think they spawn in the crotch of those trees. They for sure hold there at times.
Posted By: CarlB

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/02/21 09:37 PM

I caught some catfish on a spoon back in November- it shocked me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/02/21 10:41 PM

I've caught several good-sized channels on Kastmasters while sandbass fishing. One time I caught a bullhead on a Roadrunner lure.

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/03/21 01:46 AM

I’ve caught them on spoons and plastics before. Just kinda unusual. The size of this one really threw me for a bit. Right after I set the hook (in about 5’ of water and 60-70’ away) it jumped and then dug in running sideways. I didn’t get a good look at it though. Bass in Falcon are pretty light colored so I thought I had an 8 pound bass.

I am gonna hit that spot soon and anchor and see what happens!
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/03/21 12:26 PM

My biggest flatheads have all been caught on slabs while fishing for sandbass. Doesn't happen very often, but oh, it's a hoot when it does.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/03/21 01:40 PM

When I lived up in Kansas I used to catch flatheads all the time in the spring with crankbaits along rocks when fishing for smallmouths. Here locally I've caught a few channel cats on chatter baits.
Posted By: d75bender

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/03/21 08:01 PM

I caught 3 cat's in 1 day using a Megabass Okashira Screwhead with a 4" Black Shad Keitech, one was 6.7lbs, 7.13lb and a 15.2lb all on the same day. I threw out the swimbait, let it hit the bottom then ripped that sucker off the bottom by like 4-5ft and those Cat's slammed it as soon as it stopped and started to drop, felt like a train hitting my rod. I was going for bass but only caught 2 small bass doing that.

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/03/21 09:02 PM

Oh don’t think I didn’t throw back in that spot again! fish
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/03/21 09:11 PM

Caught my biggest yellow on a firetiger rattletrap. 46lb yellow. Heck of a fight on a bass rod and 14lb test line
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/03/21 10:48 PM

Yep, I have had several destroy a spinner bait over the years. Heck of a good fight, boy do they like to start spinning close to the boat.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/12/21 03:26 AM

I caught two blues and a flathead all over 5lbs on a spinnerbait last summer. I caught another good blue I wasn’t able to get in the boat. I was really surprised to catch them! My son and I caught a couple of nice drums on a spinnerbait and rattletrap last summer too.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/17/21 10:14 PM

My fishing bud and I focus on bluegill usually. We use the Gulp Alive 1” Minnow on drop shot as our #1 bait. We usually catch a few cats on every trip and sometimes quite a few. He caught an 18 pound yellow cat on a Gulp Alive 1” minnow a few weeks ago. Life is good. Especially with Gulp Alive. grin

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/18/21 04:59 PM

I bet that was a surprise!
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: Cats hitting lures - 03/19/21 02:09 PM

We used to catch them on rattle traps all the time on the Trinity river below Livingston.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum