Texas Fishing Forum

I can't take it anymore

Posted By: Catfish Tim

I can't take it anymore - 02/11/21 01:29 PM

This full on winter nonsense needs to stop! I need to go fishing! And now they are calling for 3 to 6 inches of snow Sunday into Monday single digit lows and wind chills of 10 below zero! Did somebody move Texas to North Dakota?!
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/11/21 01:45 PM

Looks like it’s gonna be nasty until next weekend. Gonna be a considerable Shad kill I’m guessing which will probably screw things up for a while. Sure wish some of these trophy catfish guides still posted their trip reports and lake conditions so we could get a good idea of what the lakes and fish are doing during and after this cold snap. I’ve been planning to drag my boat to Twok after the cold passes but now I’m worried I will be floating around like an idiot if the fish are all stuffed full of Threadfin...
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/11/21 06:06 PM

I've been watching the Texas weather from Alabama. My home town of Lubbock predicts -3 as the low on Sunday.
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/11/21 11:13 PM

I came from ND... hammer
Posted By: z289sec

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/12/21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
Looks like it’s gonna be nasty until next weekend. Gonna be a considerable Shad kill I’m guessing which will probably screw things up for a while. Sure wish some of these trophy catfish guides still posted their trip reports and lake conditions so we could get a good idea of what the lakes and fish are doing during and after this cold snap. I’ve been planning to drag my boat to Twok after the cold passes but now I’m worried I will be floating around like an idiot if the fish are all stuffed full of Threadfin...

Shad kill is exactly what I'm afraid of on my particular big fish lake. It doesn't have any really deep spots, ( about 22-23 foot max right now) so I'm hoping the massive numbers will help them live. Water temp was 49.2 to 50.1 a couple weeks ago.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/12/21 01:55 AM

Welcome to texas
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/12/21 02:15 AM

Hope not ! Been there and done that, now I visit........in June ! roflmao They are sub-zero right now, you don’t need a boat to fish, just cut a hole in the ice ! fish
Posted By: FishinGlenn

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/12/21 02:08 PM

The fishing fever hit me last week. I braved the chill and paddled the canoe to a nearby cove. My fever soon broke as those hungry blues devoured my marinated chicken breast. I caught about twenty cats, keeping fifteen for the freezer. I'll fry some up tonight and fantasize about the next fishing trip. I expect the fever will return soon because my new trolling motor will be delivered tomorrow. I hope spring time comes soon.

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/12/21 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by z289sec

Shad kill is exactly what I'm afraid of on my particular big fish lake. It doesn't have any really deep spots, ( about 22-23 foot max right now) so I'm hoping the massive numbers will help them live. Water temp was 49.2 to 50.1 a couple weeks ago.

Your threadfin are about to get wiped out on that little shallow lake you fish Z. Prepare to see millions of threads doing the dreaded dart of death real soon.

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/12/21 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊

Your threadfin are about to get wiped out on that little shallow lake you fish Z. Prepare to see millions of threads doing the dreaded dart of death real soon.

They'll all be in the bellies of catfish by the time I get back out there. LOL
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/13/21 01:41 AM

just go fishing fish like when its cold

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/13/21 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by ssfireman

I don't mind the cold. It's the 20 or more mph wind I can't stand. I got a Pontoon boat and can't put enough drift socks out to get it below a half a mph.
Posted By: TAKIN DRAG ATX

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/13/21 02:18 AM

I don't mind the cold. It's the 20 or more mph wind I can't stand. I got a Pontoon boat and can't put enough drift socks out to get it below a half a mph.

We went to lake Waco this past weekend for that tournament and it was 20+ mph wind and we had 2 36” drift sock and kept our 16ft pontoon stable for the majority of the day. If we had a 3rd one, it would of been perfect

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/14/21 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by TAKIN DRAG ATX

We went to lake Waco this past weekend for that tournament and it was 20+ mph wind and we had 2 36” drift sock and kept our 16ft pontoon stable for the majority of the day. If we had a 3rd one, it would of been perfect

2 54's on mine slow it down to about .7, but, I don't recall exactly what the wind speed was the last time I was out, it was over 20. Thought really hard about going out Sunday morning to bank fish. LOL

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/14/21 02:00 PM

https://easterlinseaanchor.wixsite.com/website/shop

Easterlin Sea Anchors makes a 6 foot and 10 foot sock. I think that 10 foot would slow about anything down...

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/14/21 02:40 PM

I have the 10ft socks from Easterlin sea anchors and they are not that great. It is excellent quality but has several drawbacks. Slow to open and harder to retrieve. 10 ft sock don’t hold any better than my 6ft cabellas socks. I prefer the old 78” socks from cabellas. They open up a lot faster and they hold much better than any of the other socks I’ve used and I’ve used em all. In 25 mph wind I use 3 of the 78” socks to hold my big bay boat that has a t-top. Cabellas no longer sells the 78” and the Bass Pro 78” isn’t nearly as good but I know a online supplier if anyone is interested just PM me.

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/18/21 04:33 PM

Y'all, I am so over this winter. I know this has had serious consequences for a lot of folks. We were on a rolling black out schedule of 6 hours off and 1 1/2 to 2 hours on for several days. Thanks be to God that the power has been on for 24 hours now. We have water too. I have friends who are melting snow so they can flush toilets. This has been bad. One more really cold night tonight and then we will see how bad things really are when we get thawed out. I heard this morning that this will be the most expensive storm in terms of insurance claims in Texas history. With all the hurricanes that have hit this state in the past, that's saying something. All the serious stuff aside, now we have to deal with a shad kill that is gonna mean another week of no fishing (or floating around like an idiot) wink Shout out to El Gato Azul...

By the time this is over, we will be into March and hopefully a spring pattern. Patterns have been non-existent this winter as the weather has not stayed the same long enough to call it a pattern until we hit this arctic - colder than an eskimo's outhouse - spell. I am ready for 100 plus degrees, sun burns, begging for a breath of wind to cool me off while on the water, 85 degree + water temps, thermoclines, jet skis and wake boat knuckleheads! I'm ready for catchin bait in the dark at 4:30am and morning bites, getting a good sweat goin before sunrise and haulin 40 pounds of ice out to the boat.

I hope y'all are safe and warm. I hope you have not sustained any damage and I hope we can all get past this trial and start thinkin bout fishin again.

Tight lines friends...
Posted By: serj5150

Re: I can't take it anymore - 02/19/21 12:49 AM

Man I love those 78" Cabela's I have three of them and only use one to hold my little Cajun center console but I am really happy I bought the other ones grin
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum