Texas Fishing Forum

Is it to cold to fish???

Posted By: BOB HOLMES GS

Is it to cold to fish??? - 01/13/21 02:45 PM

Lately I've had folks asking about catching the sandbass spawning in the creeks and which creeks were the best.

I don't know about the rest of the world but it's kind of a tradition in these parts to get in on it.

Growing up I caught many sandbass running up Redoak creek out of the Trinity.  You can bet we always got our trucks stuck trying to get there. The trip would begin with seining crawfish out of the ditches on the way to the Bristol bottoms. And of course the fishing would be fantastic, catching stringers full of giant sandbass. 

Anyway I love telling the old stories but now days you catch the sandbass spawning in the creeks. 
You should start looking for them in early March and they should running hard by mid March. 

I like Chambers Creek and Richland Creek these days.
I usually put on a pair of rubber boots take me a handful of lead headed spinners and get to the creeks early. 

It's hard to predict these runs one day is feast next day is famine but a good experience for a young fisherman growing up.

On the big lake now my friends tell me they're catching big bluecat on jug lines and the sandbass are holding as deep as 50ft. From a distance a boat will look like he's in the middle of the lake and he is.
You idle off these long point's until you mark bait or fish and try to jig them up without hardly moving your bait. Lots of people call this dead sticking.

Good luck out there and if you would like to book a trip this year call now, the good dates are getting filled. 

Bob Holmes longest running fishing guide on the lake and still the striper lake record holder!
214 728 3310
Bob@texasfishingguide.net 
Www.texasfishingguide.net 
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Is it to cold to fish??? - 01/13/21 04:18 PM

Never too cold in Texas, my lake never has hard water
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Is it to cold to fish??? - 01/13/21 05:57 PM

Yesterday, it literally looked like the lake was boiling on Lake Worth from the fish chasing shad, and the birds dive bombing them. Easily 500 visible birds. And Lake Worth is only 25 foot at the deepest point, right now. Also, out in the middle of the lake. Apparently, they just do whatever they want. LOL
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Is it to cold to fish??? - 01/13/21 09:48 PM

No! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum