Texas Fishing Forum

Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait?

Posted By: Osbornfishing

Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/12/21 12:20 AM

I started using bacon for bait after a package went bad and I didn’t want to throw it away. It worked so well that I often carry it with me to use as bait when the fish are finicky. I either use it by itself or attach a piece to chicken or cut bait. The fish seem to really go after it when you jig it up and down then let it fall. Am I alone or are there other baconaters out there?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/12/21 03:07 AM

Never have.

But I have noticed when fish are actively feeding I'd often get a bite as soon as the bait hits the bottom. Not unlike bass fishing, I assume the fish saw the bait falling moved inbto investigate and then decided to strike. Bacon, depending on how you rigged it or hooked might add more action and entice more fish to want to check it out.

And who doesn't like bacon?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/12/21 04:55 AM

Never used bacon on catfish but I have caught Bluegill before. thumb

Side Note: Nice fish. cheers
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/12/21 05:02 AM

What kind of bacon has a chance of going bad? I've never heard of that kind roflmao
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/12/21 01:36 PM

soak it in water till it turns white. find a cormorant roosting tree first thing in the morning and chunk a weightless piece under it and hold on. make it splat the water loudly like the sound of cormorant cr^p.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/12/21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S
soak it in water till it turns white. find a cormorant roosting tree first thing in the morning and chunk a weightless piece under it and hold on. make it splat the water loudly like the sound of cormorant cr^p.

^^^^^
This. If you don't have a fish on by the count of 5, there probably isn't a fish there.

But I've never soaked it in water. I focus on the fatty part of the bacon. I find that the fat of the bacon helps to have a slow fall.
Posted By: ACES82

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/12/21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S

Ive gotta try this!
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/12/21 04:34 PM

I lucked into this purely by accident a couple years ago. I was throwing baits up in the trees on Tawakoni and the bait wasn't even hitting the bottom. They grabbed it on the fall. That was just shad. I agree though. I gotta try this bacon thing. Sounds like fun...
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/12/21 06:24 PM

I would probably bring a skillet and a little propane stove if I was carrying bacon flehan
Posted By: Po Boy

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/12/21 09:31 PM

I have a package of turkey bacon in the freezer that I am going to try if I ever get to go fishing again. Wife bought a big package of turkey bacon, and we did not like it so I put it the bait freezer.

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/13/21 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ed-n-eddy
What kind of bacon has a chance of going bad? I've never heard of that kind roflmao

It was a sad day when the bacon went bad. roflmao But for a big fish I will occasionally make the trade.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/13/21 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Po Boy
I have a package of turkey bacon in the freezer that I am going to try if I ever get to go fishing again. Wife bought a big package of turkey bacon, and we did not like it so I put it the bait freezer.

Nobody likes Turkey Bacon, I'm betting fish are no different. LOL

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/13/21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by z289sec
Originally Posted by Po Boy

Nobody likes Turkey Bacon, I'm betting fish are no different. LOL

Second on the turkey bacon. roflmao
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: Have You Used Bacon for Catfish Bait? - 01/17/21 01:54 AM

Sweet have to try this out...

But I love bacon....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum