Texas Fishing Forum

catfish leader-drift fishing

Posted By: hornedfrog

catfish leader-drift fishing - 01/06/21 01:51 AM

what do you all prefer to use as a leader on your rigs when drift fishing ?
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: catfish leader-drift fishing - 01/06/21 04:31 AM

I am a rookie, but have ask and looked at a lot of more experienced setups,
I am using 50 lb big game on most of mine. Main line 30 lb big game or braid, depending on the rig.
Mono has good shock, knots hold well and floats a little vs. Floro. Cheap and easy to cut off and retie if you feel some wear, rough spots, or after a few fish.
Good luck.
Ken
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: catfish leader-drift fishing - 01/06/21 01:14 PM

I use 65 lb braid main line and an 80 lb leader. I like the braid because I don't fish in a lot of structure where it would get nicked. I have landed 40s and 50s with this rig. Been using it for 5 years or so and have had good success with it...
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: catfish leader-drift fishing - 01/06/21 04:22 PM

Mainline is 30lb mono, with a 50lb mono leader. Lots of hang ups in the Tennessee River. Braid nicks to easily around these parts.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: catfish leader-drift fishing - 01/07/21 02:13 AM

I fish for records, so I use 2-pound test to 130-pound test depending on the record I am after. I usually just spool the whole reel with the mono test I am using and do not use a leader. If I am not worried about line class records I will use 30 or 40 pound test for catfish.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: catfish leader-drift fishing - 01/07/21 06:44 PM

[Linked Image]
80 lb and for my leaders in the winter... And 80 lb braid on the reel
Posted By: z289sec

Re: catfish leader-drift fishing - 01/08/21 12:27 AM

Berkley Vanish 50lb for me, on all of mine. Whisker Seeker 30 lb mono on the mainline on a couple. I also have Catmaxx 30 lb mono on one, and Suffix 832 braid on one. I also have a couple smaller combos with Berkley Trilene XL 20 lb mono, on them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum