Texas Fishing Forum

Bait size

Posted By: CoryK

Bait size - 12/28/20 03:23 AM

I have some questions about bait size for big blues. We hear “big baits for big fish” and I get it. At least big baits will keep way the small fish. It seems like in the winter, like now, we can only catch small Shad around 3-5”. We catch tons of these this size, so it makes me think, the big fish have to be feeding on this size as well since obviously they’re so plentiful. We’ll usually catch one or two big Shad 10”+, but that’s it. Thoughts? Just use the small ones? Or keep throwing the net until we gather enough large ones? If we are to use smaller Shad, is it helpful to hook a couple on at a time?
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Bait size - 12/28/20 02:43 PM

You don’t need big baits to catch big fish but it certainly helps. I won’t start fishing until I have enough big baits for my 6 planers. Getting the right bait is the first piece to the Big Bluecat puzzle.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Bait size - 12/28/20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
You don’t need big baits to catch big fish but it certainly helps. I won’t start fishing until I have enough big baits for my 6 planers. Getting the right bait is the first piece to the Big Bluecat puzzle.

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: teamron

Re: Bait size - 12/29/20 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊

This....I've caught Blues up to 40lbs on cut bait up the rivers in spring on bait not much bigger than the end of your Thumb.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Bait size - 12/29/20 04:01 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I go big unless I'm trying to catch eating size fish in the winter...
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Bait size - 12/29/20 06:42 PM

Filet one side and put it on. Makes it nearly double in size. Deiter Melhorn does that a lot.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Bait size - 12/30/20 01:41 AM

I for sure want big bait if I can get it to try and keep the little fish off of it. Yes I've caught big fish on small bait but I prefer big bait.
Posted By: bullcrappie

Re: Bait size - 12/30/20 01:44 PM

You have one "bait" that shouldn't be in pic.you may want to delete I'd think
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Bait size - 12/30/20 01:53 PM

You can use those striped shad up in Oklahoma where Sam fishes a lot Bullcrsppie. That’s all we use when we go up there...
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Bait size - 12/30/20 04:30 PM

Shad head cut about an 1” behind the gills on a 5” shad has caught me a ton of big winter time blues.
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Bait size - 12/30/20 05:15 PM

First, I'm new to the forum so thanks for the add. I recently left facebook because of all the nonsense going on there and I need a place to talk fishing so here I am!

I too like big baits when I can get them but when I can't I use what the good Lord and the lake give me. I've heard some guys say match what the fish are feeding on. In other words, if they are eating small. throw small baits, if they are eating big, throw big baits. Finding out what they want through experimentation is part of the sport. There are times when the conditions will tell you what to throw. For example, post spawn they are starving. Bigger is better. When it gets cold (early winter) smaller seems to work but, if you need to sift out the bait stealers, go bigger. Late winter, when the weather warms up and they fish head to the shallows I've had days where tiny little pieces of bait caught 30 pounders and I've had days where I caught dinks that were almost smaller than the bait I was using! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Bait size - 12/30/20 06:00 PM

It's okay I meant to leave them in there... I'm legal you can use any any fish you catch in Oklahoma for bait long as you catch it on a rod and reel..... Striped bass and crappie is fair game......
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum