Texas Fishing Forum

Lewisville 12-12

Posted By: šŸ€El Gato AzulšŸ€

Lewisville 12-12 - 12/12/20 10:26 PM

Got out and pulled boards with my 5 yr old fishing partner. Yesterday was his B-day and he said he wanted to catch something big today. North wind had the fish not wanting to bite too good this morning. Scanned for close to 2 hrs and found fish everywhere from 48 ft up to 20ft but nothing big enough to throw down on. Found Gizzards loaded in 30 ft and thatā€™s where we fished. We missed our first 2 big fish that came unbuttoned at the boat. Moved to another area of the lake staying in 30 ft. Gizzards were grouped up good there too. Missed 3 more toads and one was over 40. 5 big fish in a row we lost! I was starting to get real discouraged and my son had to remind me numerous times to stop cussing! I apologized and 1 minutes later we hauled in a 28 lbr. Then a 20 and several teeners. We missed several more big fish on the big baits and ended with a 10 lbr. All fish released to fight another day. We were slow to start but finished strong and my boy got his B-day fish!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/12/20 11:03 PM

Man, and I passed 'cause we couldn't get out until after noon hammer
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/13/20 12:39 AM

Happy Birthday to your son and congratulations on a good fishing trip as his present. Well done sir.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/13/20 01:27 AM

Thatā€™s the way to turn a trip around. Awesome day
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/13/20 03:05 AM

Nice job Dad. Good birthday with the first mate. Way to stick with it and finish strong.

I went duck hunting today, had good hunt and killed several. But kept thinking it would be a nice day on the boat. Lol. Will have to wait a few more days to chase those blues...

Stay safe

Ken
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/13/20 04:17 AM

Awesome post and awesome fish. As always. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Otis1

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/13/20 03:43 PM

We need to change your name to "afortunado El Gato". Because you are one LUCKY Cat!!! Getting to fish with your FB and having a great understanding lady. One of these days your son my be helping you hold the big one, time goes by VERY FAST. Hold on to all you can!

Have a good one,
O1
Posted By: pop r

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/15/20 12:59 PM

Awesome catch! bow_down
Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/15/20 01:32 PM

Nice going , some time the little ones have remind us to just enjoy the day and relax.

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/15/20 02:03 PM

Thanks Amigos! Weā€™re on a good run!

You canā€™t catch em if ya donā€™t go Ed. Cold front can make em bite later anyways.

My wife wasnā€™t always so understanding Otis. I was raised a lake rat and she wasnā€™t. Much like every other woman Iā€™ve dated, she had a hard time believing I was at the lake fishing so much. Over time she began to understand my obsession to water and now that we have my son she has fully embraced it. texas
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/15/20 02:42 PM

Chris what was the water temp? My boy gets out for Christmas break on Friday. I am going to try to take off a few days over his break and try to get out on the water. It seems like we have something going every weekend here lately

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/15/20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by DEWAYNE BULLARD
Nice going , some time the little ones have remind us to just enjoy the day and relax.

Sometimes we lose perspective Dewayne. My wife called after we had lost the first 4 big fish and I was just about ready to throw in the towel for the day. She reminded me that it was my sons b-day and to quit worrying about catching a big fish and just enjoy spending time with my son on a beautiful day. I told her thatā€™s easier said than done when you miss every single big fish you tangle with. 5 minutes later we lost another toad and thatā€™s when the whole lake could hear me cussing. My son told me to stop cursing like a sailor! The moment I let go of all that anger and disappointment we started hanging some good ones. God works in mysterious ways!

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/15/20 03:00 PM

Water was 53 Matt and I marked 4 good groups of fish in 22-48 ft. 22 ft fish were on a threadfin and small sandbass pattern. I fished the Gizzard Shad pattern which was in 30 ft.
Posted By: Dan90210 ā˜®

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/15/20 03:45 PM

Gato and others... do yall ever fish shallow in winter for big blues?

I went with a guide on Lewisville about 7 years ago, well known guide, used to be a mod on here...anyway we ran up into the mouth of Hickory creek, on that big shallow arse flat and slayed some HUGE blues in 4-5 feet of water. This was in January and it was icy cold out.

Just wondered if thats still a thing or what might trigger one to fish that pattern?

I am about to get the kayak rigged back up for catfishing now that bass fishing sucks.... and dont believe those guys who say "Winter is my favorite time to bass fish!" They are lying to themselves and you, winter fishing for bass sucks.

Its time to try to get a big blue again! Or at least a few eaters, either way ha ha. Thanks as always, I appreciate yalls help.

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/15/20 04:30 PM

Its time Dan! You can get to em in your yak right now. I will haul you out there and keep an eye on ya amigo! Iā€™ve caught some toads up shallow in the winter on other guys boats Dan but thatā€™s not something I have much experience with. I grew up on the south end of the lake so Iā€™ve grown accustomed to looking deep and mid-depth before I ever go shallow. Blues can be anywhere on any given day though. Some guys fish in 1-10 ft and some guys fish out deep both with matching stringers. I can guarantee you all the blues in the lake arenā€™t on the same pattern each day. If itā€™s been cold and we get a warm up then some of my fishing buddies will go shallow on that day and catch some big fish and the same day I will have a matching stringer in 30-40 ft. Iā€™m no guru and Iā€™m still learning as I go but one thing that 3 different top end guides have told when I asked them about the same thing. They all 3 said that if your getting your tail kicked and youā€™re looking for that Hail Mary, find a point or pocket that the wind has been blowing on all day and anchor shallow. I still prefer to pull boards over structure cuz itā€™s produced plenty of hail Maryā€™s for us. There are a million ways to skin a cat.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/15/20 04:55 PM

There definitely going to winter mode
Posted By: Dan90210 ā˜®

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/16/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by šŸŒŠEl Gato AzulšŸŒŠ
Its time Dan! You can get to em in your yak right now. I will haul you out there and keep an eye on ya amigo! Iā€™ve caught some toads up shallow in the winter on other guys boats Dan but thatā€™s not something I have much experience with. I grew up on the south end of the lake so Iā€™ve grown accustomed to looking deep and mid-depth before I ever go shallow. Blues can be anywhere on any given day though. Some guys fish in 1-10 ft and some guys fish out deep both with matching stringers. I can guarantee you all the blues in the lake arenā€™t on the same pattern each day. If itā€™s been cold and we get a warm up then some of my fishing buddies will go shallow on that day and catch some big fish and the same day I will have a matching stringer in 30-40 ft. Iā€™m no guru and Iā€™m still learning as I go but one thing that 3 different top end guides have told when I asked them about the same thing. They all 3 said that if your getting your tail kicked and youā€™re looking for that Hail Mary, find a point or pocket that the wind has been blowing on all day and anchor shallow. I still prefer to pull boards over structure cuz itā€™s produced plenty of hail Maryā€™s for us. There are a million ways to skin a cat.

Mate you have a big boat, that would be a sketchy tow ha ha. When we get a nice day I am going to go try those points you showed me!

Fridays are the days I can fish, this Friday looks poor, 25mph wind, open water, and kayaks dont jive. That said, I have been fishing for Buffs from the bank and thats going well... I am thinking I am going fillet one of those guys up for bait. Throwing a net from the yak in cold water... also not a good combo!

But I can get buffs!

Hopefully see you out there soon!

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/16/20 03:52 PM

If I can get away on a Friday I will let ya know. I will strap the yak on the back and you jump in the boat Dan. We go find the fish and then you get in the yak and drift next to us. When weā€™re done you get back in the boat and I tow you back in. When you hang a toad I will video ya. You can drift real close to us.

Before you go hollar at me and I will tell you a different area to look. Those points have had eaters but there is an area you can get to that has been producing lots of toads and itā€™s protected from south wind.
Posted By: Robby E

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/19/20 03:19 AM

Great job! I am headed out in the morning.
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/19/20 10:47 PM

WOW! Those are some nice fish!!! thumb
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/20/20 06:04 AM

That was a great report and congrats on getting your son on his birthday fish Buddy banana got Mama on her birthday fish Wednesday on Tawakoni... only a 25 but she was happy LOL thumb Gato we lost several as well mad also there were a lot of short Strikers realmad

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/21/20 04:43 PM

Thanks amigos cheers
Originally Posted by serj5150
That was a great report and congrats on getting your son on his birthday fish Buddy banana got Mama on her birthday fish Wednesday on Tawakoni... only a 25 but she was happy LOL thumb Gato we lost several as well mad also there were a lot of short Strikers realmad

Way to go Fredo! We were off the water celebrating wifeā€™s 40th and then nursing a hangover. Man Iā€™m trying to find a way to knock off early tomorrow and try and go catch something big...
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/22/20 06:01 PM

El Gato you have finally inspired me with the planer boards! I started seeing more and more that this was an application I needed. I know there are a ton of videos out there but today I'm doing my own planer board making video and hopefully it will come out somewhat decent LOL hammer

Re: Lewisville 12-12 - 12/22/20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by serj5150
El Gato you have finally inspired me with the planer boards! I started seeing more and more that this was an application I needed. I know there are a ton of videos out there but today I'm doing my own planer board making video and hopefully it will come out somewhat decent LOL hammer

Let me look into my crystal ball Fredo...šŸ”® I see big things in your future amigo! Slimy big blue toads! texas
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum