Texas Fishing Forum

Big Shad for bait for Big Cats

Posted By: bigcheessee

Big Shad for bait for Big Cats - 12/06/20 05:38 AM

I was thumbing through old pictures and once in a while I get these big shad. I usually cut them up & use for bait. Chunks. Does any one have any other ideas on how to use them? Anyone fished one that big LIVE!? Stories or suggestions be greatly appreciated.

Re: Big Shad for bait for Big Cats - 12/06/20 05:41 AM

I’m talking about 18 in shad btw. Makes my sandbass look small.
Posted By: Shadslayer69

Re: Big Shad for bait for Big Cats - 12/06/20 10:57 PM

I have caught multiple blues and flats on 12-14 inch live baits. And they were only 30 lbs. A big 50 or 60 could easily eat one but you would probably be better off just cutting the tail off making it a more manageable 6-12 inch bait. Even the big fish will shy away from a really big bait in my opinion. I have had flats hit and nibble a 12 inch mud cat for 10 mins but soon as i throw a 6inch bluegill (at the same brushpile) , in front of there nose BAM instantly inhaled.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Big Shad for bait for Big Cats - 12/08/20 11:52 PM

Filet one side, cut off the tail, and use a double hook rig to drift the whole fish. Front hook through the nose, rear hook shallow through the meat above the spine, behind the dorsal fin. I see Steve Douglas doing it with over a foot Skipjack, all the time.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Big Shad for bait for Big Cats - 12/10/20 03:56 AM

Like this ? Kinda ? [Linked Image]
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Big Shad for bait for Big Cats - 12/10/20 02:53 PM

That bait Walker rig you pictured is a bottom bouncing rig for river fishing Drycreek...I do a ton of big bait fishing in our Texas lakes and I rig mine like this. The rig pictured below is an 8/0 8/0 stinger I use for 8” baits. I also run an 8/0 10/0 stinger for 10-12” baits. I will use up to 12” baits when I go to Twok or Texoma but anything much bigger than that is too big for my liking and you rarely get a takedown and they seem to come unbuttoned a lot more. My preferred size for a stinger rigged big bait is 6-10”. I run a lot of 6-8” baits on my home lake which seem to be the preferred size for 20-30 lb fish which is mostly what is in Lewisville.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Big Shad for bait for Big Cats - 12/10/20 02:56 PM

Here is how I tie mine.

Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Big Shad for bait for Big Cats - 12/11/20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
That bait Walker rig you pictured is a bottom bouncing rig for river fishing Drycreek...I do a ton of big bait fishing in our Texas lakes and I rig mine like this. The rig pictured below is an 8/0 8/0 stinger I use for 8” baits. I also run an 8/0 10/0 stinger for 10-12” baits. I will use up to 12” baits when I go to Twok or Texoma but anything much bigger than that is too big for my liking and you rarely get a takedown and they seem to come unbuttoned a lot more. My preferred size for a stinger rigged big bait is 6-10”. I run a lot of 6-8” baits on my home lake which seem to be the preferred size for 20-30 lb fish which is mostly what is in Lewisville.

[Linked Image]

I was actually referring more to just the way the hooks were rigged but I appreciate the video also. I’m trying to learn about fishing for blues and I’m following the catfish threads so maybe I can get better prepared. I’m also looking forward to the video from you about throwing the cast net. A little info about where to throw it might come in handy too !
smile

Re: Big Shad for bait for Big Cats - 12/11/20 06:03 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Big Shad for bait for Big Cats - 12/11/20 06:05 AM

This was tossed last year in a feeble attempt under 380 bridge in Denton last year next to the log jams and water moccasins. No bites...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum