Texas Fishing Forum

Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp

Posted By: z289sec

Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 11/30/20 12:39 AM

Anyone fish this area with a boat? I see some folks out there in the satellite imagery with boats, but would like to hear from someone with experience in the area. Just need to know if it's fishable with an outboard boat. (smallish pontoon).

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/01/20 05:51 PM

So, nobody knows if you can launch and navigate a boat through here?
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/01/20 06:22 PM

we have fished up stream from there in kayaks
i have seen jon boats way up river
in Horseshoe Bend
i would go slow

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/02/20 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
we have fished up stream from there in kayaks
i have seen jon boats way up river
in Horseshoe Bend
i would go slow

I wanted to go down stream of the ramp. It looks far deeper, with one nice hole not far that's over 20 foot deep. At least according to Insight Genesis social mapping. But if people are getting upstream, sounds like downstream would be easier. And I always go slow. LOL

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/02/20 12:58 AM

we used to carry our yaks down from
behind the fire station
some cat bought that & blocked it off
i think you could do your plan

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/02/20 01:00 AM

good luck
there are a lot of fish
in that area
we fish with Sassy Shads
you can catch anything
in fact the package says
"Catch anything that swims"

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/02/20 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
good luck
there are a lot of fish
in that area
we fish with Sassy Shads
you can catch anything
in fact the package says
"Catch anything that swims"

Thanks, Appreciate the info. I'll have a buddy up front to help navigate. Hoping to latch on to some big blues, I saw there was some fallen timber right there too. Has all the signs of being a prime catfish area. Hope to find out Sunday.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/02/20 06:16 AM

You good to go from the ramp all the way to the lake
Gets a little sketchy by the old bridge but you pick up the main Chanel markers from there

Going north isn’t bad for the first few miles then it gets shallow and you gotta know where your going

Lots of good creeks to fish and generally I always get bit there

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/02/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fish Killer
You good to go from the ramp all the way to the lake
Gets a little sketchy by the old bridge but you pick up the main Chanel markers from there

Going north isn’t bad for the first few miles then it gets shallow and you gotta know where your going

Lots of good creeks to fish and generally I always get bit there

Thank you for the info!

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/05/20 01:00 AM

Went and did some scouting at the ramp, and looked for other possible creek access points today. Found a couple, but almost no water in them. Hope to make a good day of it Sunday, looks like some good long drift areas.

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/07/20 01:30 AM

Well, finding fish was easy. Getting them to bite, not so much. Did manage to catch three nice blue cats, and one big Hybrid. This was the largest of the blues, and the Hybrid. Took a while to get the Hybrid in the boat, caught him on 6 lb test, on an 8ft. crappie rod, with a tiny little mr. crappie reel. lol. We drifted the main river channel, and got a ton of short bites on cut bait. I should have rigged up some stinger hooks, I'll know next time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: G Love

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/07/20 09:04 PM

My stompin' grounds.

Most boats can run up to Sandy Beach in Horseshoe Bend. Above that you'll need a jet or airboat.

Some good fishin to be had at certain time of the year. Blues are not a consistent fish in that area, however.

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/08/20 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by G Love
My stompin' grounds.

Most boats can run up to Sandy Beach in Horseshoe Bend. Above that you'll need a jet or airboat.

Some good fishin to be had at certain time of the year. Blues are not a consistent fish in that area, however.

Thanks for the info! Think in the Spring, I'll definitely be making this area, a big part of my fishing routine. Lots of good areas, that hold fish, and I don't think I've ever seen that many balls of shad in my life, they were everywhere, in huge schools. Can't wait to try it, when they're letting water out of P.K.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Brazos near Tin Top boat ramp - 12/09/20 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by z289sec
Originally Posted by G Love
My stompin' grounds.

Thanks for the info! Think in the Spring, I'll definitely be making this area, a big part of my fishing routine. Lots of good areas, that hold fish, and I don't think I've ever seen that many balls of shad in my life, they were everywhere, in huge schools. Can't wait to try it, when they're letting water out of P.K.

When PK is releasing, that's your best opportunity to get in to a big Blue. Spring time is good you just have to wade through the thralls of local Sand Bass hero's fishing the run. It's insane March/April.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum