Texas Fishing Forum

Cast Net

Posted By: FewJr

Cast Net - 11/19/20 12:35 AM

Ok need some advise for buying a cast net for shad. Believe i need 3/8 mesh but just guessing the size should be 7' at least ?
Thanks for your help.
Posted By: lamar44

Re: Cast Net - 11/19/20 03:54 AM

7' is as big as you can use in tx. . You for sure want to get one with a real lead line...
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Cast Net - 11/19/20 04:12 AM

Get at least a .75 lb per foot net. Heavier, falls faster. I prefer to have them at least 1 lb per foot, but a .75 will still work.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Cast Net - 11/19/20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by z289sec
Get at least a .75 lb per foot net. Heavier, falls faster. I prefer to have them at least 1 lb per foot, but a .75 will still work.

If your tossing in really shallow water that would be fine.
My nets are 1.5 lb per ft.
Fish can swim pretty fast. So it only makes sense to me for my net to fall faster.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Cast Net - 11/19/20 02:36 PM

Another cold front or 2 and it’s gonna get a lot harder to get bait shallow. If your serious about getting the right baits year round then a taped deep hole net is an absolute must. I throw a 7ft taped deep hole net with 5/8” mesh and 1.5 lbs of lead per foot year round. Without a deep net your screwed in the winter.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Cast Net - 11/19/20 02:37 PM

It all depends on what depth water and what size Shad you are trying to catch. If targeting smaller Shad in water say about 10-12 feet or less then 3/8 mesh and 1 pounds of real lead weights will be fine.

If deep than that you will need about 1.5 pounds of lead per foot.

The more lead and bigger mesh will sink faster.

If targeting really deep Shad then you will a taped net.

7 foot radius is the biggest you can use in Texas.

Most of the year I throw a 7’ 3/8 mesh with 1 pound of lead per foot. Late fall and winter I target big Shad and I use a 7’ 5/8 mesh taped net with 1.5pound per foot.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Cast Net - 11/20/20 03:51 AM

And just FYI, if the price of a taped net is out of reach or you just don’t want to pay that much, YouTube has several tutorials on how to tape a net-
I used gorilla tape and mine last a pretty good while-
But a taped net is a game changer-
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Cast Net - 11/20/20 06:05 PM

Bank or boat? If on a boat, the answers above are spot on. If locked to land, I don't believe a taped net is worth it unless you have access to some deep water in marinas or something. If on land, the cheaper nets seem to be better as you will lose quite a few. The sizes given however are all good.
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Cast Net - 11/20/20 06:06 PM

Bank or boat? If on a boat, the answers above are spot on. If locked to land, I don't believe a taped net is worth it unless you have access to some deep water in marinas or something. If on land, the cheaper nets seem to be better as you will lose quite a few. The sizes given however are all good.
Originally Posted by steveiam
And just FYI, if the price of a taped net is out of reach or you just don’t want to pay that much, YouTube has several tutorials on how to tape a net-

Yo Steve!!! How ya been bud?
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Cast Net - 11/20/20 06:43 PM

You don't mention if you're just starting with cast nets. A lighter (smaller diameter) net is easier to learn with and doesn't wear you out as quickly as a heavier one will. I think that's real important while you're getting your technique down.

Gato, and all, are absolutely correct regarding cooler weather and the bait going deeper (thus, the deep hole/taped net recommendations).

Have fun, develop your technique and know that you'll graduate to bigger and more specialized nets fairly quickly. If you don't tear it up, or lose it, it will still be useful in tight places or longer distance casts.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Cast Net - 11/23/20 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by TRH (formerly xpress00)
Originally Posted by steveiam

Yo Steve!!! How ya been bud?

Hey Trent!
I’m hanging in there buddy, I been seeing you and Kasen are still pulling in some nice ones, that boy is sure growing!
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Cast Net - 12/30/20 07:55 PM

I love reading this thread. It reminds me that we all went through the pain of learning to throw a cast net. Then, we learned the pain of losing them to crappie condos, stumps and all other manner of snags. I will say that it took me a long time to learn the deep winter bait lesson. I could never figure out how I could see clouds of bait that went on forever, throw on them and not catch a thing. Then I read something about a taped net. Mystery solved! I tried taping my own net, didn't do a very good job or I used the wrong tape because it didn't last. Bit the bullet and spent $180 on a good taped net and viola! It isn't cheap, but it is very satisfying pulling them up from the bottom and knowing you will always have fresh bait from now on!
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Cast Net - 12/31/20 04:08 PM

Gotta have a deep net for when they School in the deep water..... Are shad up here last week was running 30 to 40 ft deep and I'm with el gato a tape net is nothing less than a miracle for deep water...

Re: Cast Net - 01/02/21 01:21 AM

Speaking of cast nets, has anyone seen any taped cast nets actually in stock, and available to ship? None of the sites I've been to had any. 7 ft, 1/2 inch in particular.
Posted By: Huntxtrm

Re: Cast Net - 01/02/21 01:54 AM

Try castnets.com. I think they have them available? I just ordered a 7' net from them, it was not a taped net though.

Re: Cast Net - 01/02/21 02:13 AM

I throw the Fitec 11970 but good luck finding one. These Betts are my second choice. Don’t even waste your money unless it’s taped and heavy.

https://www.amazon.com/Betts-19-7-DH-Super-Deep-Hole/dp/B00AN0S1P8

Re: Cast Net - 01/02/21 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
I throw the Fitec 11970 but good luck finding one. These Betts are my second choice. Don’t even waste your money unless it’s taped and heavy.

Yeah, I got a net for warm water. I just need a deep water net. Takes me about an hour to get some decent bait now. Definitely getting as heavy a 7 foot taped net as I can find. I found a 1.6 lb per foot 7 non taped, and I might have even considered that if it were a 1/2 mesh, but it was a 3/8. Guess I'll just wait until somebody has a taped one.

Re: Cast Net - 01/02/21 10:47 AM

The Betts I showed you from Amazon is taped and heavy. 5/8” mesh is the standard for throwing a deep net.

Re: Cast Net - 01/04/21 12:13 AM

The Betts I showed you from Amazon is taped and heavy. 5/8” mesh is the standard for throwing a deep net.
Is it still ok, if the shad aren't huge? I was thinking of getting the 12970 from Fitec, which I finally found some in stock, in a couple places. But it's a 1/2 inch mesh. If the 5/8 mesh still gets the 4 to 6 inch shad, I'll get the Betts, and give it a shot. Just don't have a huge volume of monster shad on the lake I usually fish. But lots in the 4 to 6 inch range, and quite a few up to 8 or 9.

Re: Cast Net - 01/04/21 01:19 AM

5/8 will catch 5” and up. Let’s all those small threads pass through. It will catch large threads and med gizzards and everything bigger. The 1/2 inch will catch more threads but you’ll also get a ton of em stuck in the net which is a pain in the tail.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Cast Net - 01/04/21 01:20 AM

I use this net when I need to throw deep. The majority of the time I'm catching shad and bait in 6' of water in creeks. I realize lots of the guys on here know more about cast nets than I do. I've only been doing this about 29 years. [Linked Image]

Re: Cast Net - 01/04/21 03:02 PM

I used to get my bait in the creeks too but it would take me forever to make the 6 mile run up the lake to get to the creeks. Then hopefully find the bait and get it without ripping my net. The time it used to take me would burn up half the morning acquiring bait. Most of us weekend fisherman catch our bait when we get on the water that morning and my ramp doesn’t open until 7am. Getting my big baits as quickly as possible and as close to my ramp as possible has helped me to get my lines in the water a lot quicker which equals more time fishing the early morning bite. Now I get bait off the ledges 100 yrds from my ramp or about 1 mile to the depressions I throw on and it only takes 1 or 2 throws and I’m fishing. Instead of 2 hr bait run it now takes me 15 minutes. To each his own and there are a 1000 way to skin a cat and more than 1 way to get bait too.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 01:30 AM

I fully agree with all of the above and I'm fortunate to have a creek right near when I launch, and I catch bait the day I fish. To me fresh bait is the second most important thing is blue cat fishing.

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 12:57 PM

I am seeing the same thing. A 7 foot taped net with 1.5 lbs per radius foot doesn't seem to exist right now. My Menhaden net with gorilla tape is working just fine but it takes a bit to loosen it up when its cold. The tape gets stiff. Once I get it in the water a couple times it's fine. I've looked everywhere I know to and they are all out of stock, including castnets.com. That is as of Jan 3rd.
If anybody finds them in stock, sing out!

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 01:04 PM

Come on Tim! I’m trying to help you guys out here. There are 2 left in stock on Amazon but you better hurry up cuz those will be gone soon too.

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 01:43 PM

I looked at this one. I hesitated because it was only one pound per foot.

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 01:44 PM

I was looking for the 11970. That's the one I can't find in stock anywhere.

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 02:05 PM

Your not going to find a 11970 Tim. This is the the closest thing too it available. It’s 1.4 lbs per ft and your about to miss out on it since now there is only 1 left. After it’s gone there won’t be any taped nets left in the whole country.
Posted By: Marc-62

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 02:50 PM

Calm down El Gato I purchased the net you speak of a few minutes ago. coach

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 03:07 PM

You got the wrong idea about me Marc. I’m as calm as Vladimir Putin on Election Day. Just trying to help some of you guys out.

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 04:38 PM

Putin on election day... that's funny! And I appreciate the help. I am going to see if I can still get that last one!

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 04:40 PM

Well, as usual I'm a day late and a dollar short. It now says they will be back in stock on January 25th... I will be on 'em when they are back in stock...
Posted By: Marc-62

Re: Cast Net - 01/05/21 08:40 PM

Mr. Catfish Tim, I PMed you a lead that might help with your net problem.

Re: Cast Net - 01/13/21 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
Well, as usual I'm a day late and a dollar short. It now says they will be back in stock on January 25th... I will be on 'em when they are back in stock...

Taap Outdoors has them for 155.00 shipped. But, it looks like their shipping department is really slow. They've had the order since Sunday, and still doesn't show to be out the door. I've found one other place with the Fitec taped net, it's Memphis net and twine. I think it's the 1.2 lb per foot version though, I wanted a heavier net than that.

Re: Cast Net - 01/24/21 04:43 AM

I ended up with the Betts 5/8 mesh, and 1.6 lbs per foot. So, I got my workout today. LOL

Question about that net. I did the overnight fabric softener in hot water, and hang dry deal. But man, that webbing on the tape is really, really stiff. Does it soften up a little over time? Tough to load it up to throw for me. Of course, this is the first time I'd thrown a taped net, may just be the way it is.

Re: Cast Net - 01/24/21 02:27 PM

When I soak mine I use about a half cup of Downey in the 3 1/2 gallon bucket my Menhaden net came in. It comes out really soft. Maybe try using a little more softener. For me the key was the longer hand line. Mine was only 25 feet so I extended it to 50. On Friday, I caught bait in 40 feet of water. Everything up shallower than that was tiny 1 or 2 inch shad.

Re: Cast Net - 01/24/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
When I soak mine I use about a half cup of Downey in the 3 1/2 gallon bucket my Menhaden net came in. It comes out really soft. Maybe try using a little more softener. For me the key was the longer hand line. Mine was only 25 feet so I extended it to 50. On Friday, I caught bait in 40 feet of water. Everything up shallower than that was tiny 1 or 2 inch shad.

Mine came with the 50 footer, but I fought it getting tangled up in itself every throw. The rest of the net softened up nicely, just the webbing was all that remained super stiff.
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Cast Net - 01/24/21 10:07 PM

I ducktaped a cheap net, thought it was just the "home made" deal making it harder to throw. Then I bought one, and it was also harder to get right. I have found that I really need to "clear" the net - get it all lined up just right, or the taped part tends to catch on itself.

When I do it right, it works nice. And the taped nets definitely sink much better.

Good luck with it.
Ken

Re: Cast Net - 01/25/21 11:53 AM

Well, I'm in the market for a new taped cast net...again. Blasted crappie fishermen dropping Christmas trees and cinder blocks all over the place. Ripped it to shreds. My wife was not impressed...

Re: Cast Net - 01/25/21 01:40 PM

I know where to get the Fitec 11970 Tim. I will PM you the link so no one gets it before you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum