Texas Fishing Forum

Drifting on Lake Lavon

Posted By: Catfish14

Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/13/20 11:36 PM

My son & l drifted for catfish on Lake Lavon on Tuesday and Thursday of this week. We put in at Little Ridge Park and drifted between there and Tickey Creek Park. Used raw shrimp, water temperature was 61 degrees. Caught 24 on Tuesday and 13 Thursday. Largest one weighed 12.2 lbs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_1347.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1349.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1353.JPG
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/14/20 12:06 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Nice trip. Always a good time when you get to do it with family!

Stay safe.

Ken

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/14/20 12:11 AM

Thank you Ken. I am new to this posting on a fishing forum. You be safe too, Buddy
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/14/20 12:47 AM

thumb
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/14/20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish14
My son & l drifted for catfish on Lake Lavon on Tuesday and Thursday of this week. We put in at Little Ridge Park and drifted between there and Tickey Creek Park. Used raw shrimp, water temperature was 61 degrees. Caught 24 on Tuesday and 13 Thursday. Largest one weighed 12.2 lbs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

what kind of setup did you use ?
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/14/20 05:08 PM

Nice haul, Cat14

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/14/20 07:00 PM

Rod & reel with double hook setup letting the wind drift us. Used a wind sock to keep the front of the boat parallel to the wind and to help with drifting too fast. If the wind gets up very much I put a drift sheet out and that setup will show down your drift even more
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/14/20 09:00 PM

thumb
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/14/20 09:38 PM

Good looking batch of future fillets.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/15/20 02:27 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job. cheers
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/15/20 03:28 PM

Nice haul!
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/15/20 10:49 PM

thumb this looks like a fun trip clap
Posted By: lamar44

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/18/20 01:07 PM

I know what a drift sock is but what is a drift sheet
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/18/20 01:51 PM

It has been a long time since anyone mentioned using a drift sheet. I remember when they were the "must have" item for catching catfish. My guess is that the newer (smarter) trolling motors have replaced them.

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/18/20 08:24 PM

I use an old king size bed sheet that my wife will let me have. I tie a 5 lb barbell weight on the bottom corners (the part that goes in the water) and tie a nylon cord on each top corner, about 10 feet each. When the wind gets very high, drop the sheet over the wind side of your boat, weighted ends first, then adjust each cord to the width and depth that suits you for speed and direction of drift. Takes a while to learn how to slow or speed up your drift and change your drift direction, but once you figure it out you can drift when the wind is as high as 15-20 mph without any problems

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/18/20 08:40 PM

Your right, trolling motors have about taken over, but I don’t have a trolling motor on my boat. Don’t need it for cat fishing, plus I’m old and set in my ways I guess. I learned to use the drift sock and drift sheet at a very young age and have never changed to new tech stuff, plus as you know Fishin’ Nut, they are cheap and easy to make. 🙂 Happy Fishing
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/19/20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish14
as you know Fishin’ Nut, they are cheap and easy to make. 🙂 Happy Fishing

I know. My first drift socks were 5 gal buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. I bought a new to me boat back in February. A Lund. At 63, this was my first time to ever owned a trolling motor. Now I sit here crying because my remote quit and I may actually have to learn how to use the foot control. But it is good to spoil yourself as we get older. Good Luck with those pesky whisker fish.
Posted By: gatorgar55

Re: Drifting on Lake Lavon - 11/20/20 01:23 AM

Great results
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum