Texas Fishing Forum

Straight shank or offset circle hooks?

Posted By: Huntxtrm

Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 10/29/20 01:25 AM

Wondering what you folks think? Your opinions? Fixin to rethink my gear. Straight shank circle hooks? Or offset shank circle hooks? 6/0? 8/0? I want to move into catching some bigger blues. Looking for some valuable advice. I usually santi rig, or 3 way with a float above the swivel. Fishing stumpy water, and flat shorelines. Out of my boat. Aquilla, Lake Pat and Whitney are my lakes.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 10/29/20 03:37 AM

I prefer offset...even to the point that if I get a good deal on straight shank I will offset them myself.

8/0 is a good all around hook. We mostly use 10/0

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 10/29/20 09:00 AM

Awesome, thanks for the advice.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 10/29/20 11:38 AM

Prefer offsets as well. Have always had better results with them.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 10/29/20 11:54 AM

I also prefer offset with a bent eye for tying snell knots. 8/0 is good for my lake which is mostly 10-40 lb fish in the winter. I switch to 10/0 when I fish Twok and Texoma and I know I’m gonna be around a lot of fish bigger than 40. I’m currently running Whisker Seeker Triple Threats and Whisker Seeker Octopus Circle offsets and they both work great.

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 10/30/20 09:09 AM

Awesome, thanks guys. I am making a run at lunch to cabelas. I will see what they have in stock. Gonna pick up some stuff to rig and reline for this weekend. I want to get my wife on a big blue this winter. That woman loves to fish. And she has never caught a big one. We fish Lake Pat for convenience, But we also hit Aquilla and Whitney quite a bit. They are both 45 minutes from us.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 10/30/20 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Huntxtrm
Awesome, thanks guys. I am making a run at lunch to cabelas. I will see what they have in stock. Gonna pick up some stuff to rig and reline for this weekend. I want to get my wife on a big blue this winter. That woman loves to fish. And she has never caught a big one. We fish Lake Pat for convenience, But we also hit Aquilla and Whitney quite a bit. They are both 45 minutes from us.

There are some big ones in Pat. Good luck and make sure to let us know how you do.
Posted By: JSouther

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 10/31/20 12:50 AM

I am no pro but why bigger than 6/0 unless you are straight trophy fishing. I use 6/0 triple threat and have caught 45lb blue, 5lb bass and even a crappie on the 6/0. I have a 2400 sportsman g3 with 16 rod holders and maybe one or two rods have 8/0 with a big bait. I have had better luck with 6/0. What are the experts thoughts?

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 10/31/20 01:21 AM

Will do, I do like my little hometown lake.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 11/03/20 05:27 PM

It's hard to beat Teamcatfish double action 8/0 ....there tuff and have great hook up ratio
Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 11/07/20 05:16 PM

Offset circle hooks for sure. We have to use non-offset circle hooks to catch sharks in the ocean and it can be very hard to get good hookups on big smart sharks on those calm beautiful days.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Straight shank or offset circle hooks? - 11/07/20 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by OPTIMUS PRIME
Offset circle hooks for sure. We have to use non-offset circle hooks to catch sharks in the ocean and it can be very hard to get good hookups on big smart sharks on those calm beautiful days.

Who let Rick out of his cage??? Lmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum