Texas Fishing Forum

Chicken Livers

Posted By: Holzer

Chicken Livers - 10/28/20 02:35 PM

Most every time I cut up a whole chicken I save the insides thinking that I'm going to use them for catfishing sometime.
These organ baits turn out "mushy" once their thawed out.

Question:
A) To help baits like this to toughen up and stay on the hook better, do you use anything like salt before you freeze?

B) Have you noticed any difference baits like this that are heavily salted down vs baits that have nothing on them - maybe a natural scent works better?

C) Just throw them away?

Every time I'm out, if I fish for the skin fish I usually just use shad or perch. Maybe I'll actually use these things that keep accumulating in my freezer sometime soon.
Posted By: Brickmaker

Re: Chicken Livers - 10/28/20 08:48 PM

When I use chicken livers I just go and buy some fresh from the store. If you really think you may need alot some Chicken Express will sell you a whole bag of livers that they cook. These are a little bigger and better chicken liver.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Chicken Livers - 10/29/20 01:16 PM

I lay mine on a Wire mess screen, and coat with Salt and a bit of Garlic, let them sit for a few days, they get a bit tougher, and they stay on a bit longer. this time of year, they will take a bit longer to dry (Slightly Dry)

Re: Chicken Livers - 10/29/20 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chiprat
I lay mine on a Wire mess screen, and coat with Salt and a bit of Garlic, let them sit for a few days, they get a bit tougher, and they stay on a bit longer. this time of year, they will take a bit longer to dry (Slightly Dry)

Never thought about adding garlic. Thanks
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Chicken Livers - 10/29/20 04:26 PM

Just put them in gauze and tie it up.
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/02/20 12:59 PM

Great tips
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/02/20 03:56 PM

Light flour, powdered garlic, and a pinch of paprika. Then deep fry them in peanut oil. Not a great catfish bait but an easy tasty zip lock bag full of belly stuffers to munch on while waiting for the big cat to hit your fresh chicken liver from HEB. LOL.....

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/04/20 08:51 PM

OK, I'll chalk this one up to the assumption that most don't use chicken liver for bait.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/04/20 10:39 PM

Too easy to just grab a tub of Stubby’s and catch more fish
Posted By: Cast

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/04/20 10:53 PM

Chicken liver is great bait but won’t stay on the hook. Learned that lesson before I turned five.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/05/20 02:27 PM

Just doesn't make sense to bust your tail to use a bait that punch bait will outfish with a #4 treble hook and no panty hose, no gauze, no glue, no string or bailin' wire.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/05/20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by G Love
Just doesn't make sense to bust your tail to use a bait that punch bait will outfish with a #4 treble hook and no panty hose, no gauze, no glue, no string or bailin' wire.

Don’t forgot about Gorilla Tape GLove. No super glued bailin wire rig is good without some duct tape on it...
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/05/20 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by littlewheel

Hey Littlewheel,

My stubbys is getting crumbly. what can I put in it?
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/05/20 04:27 PM

brown sugar
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/05/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bentman63
Originally Posted by littlewheel

Hey Littlewheel,

My stubbys is getting crumbly. what can I put in it?

Poke a hole through the middle and add a little water. Keep the lid on it also when fishing. The wind will dry it out
Posted By: SangerCrappieMan

Re: Chicken Livers - 11/05/20 09:28 PM

vegetable oil is better to add instead of water. The oil will help it with the dryness
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum