Texas Fishing Forum

Windy day, big fish

Posted By: fishgrappler

Windy day, big fish - 10/18/20 11:14 PM

I am a weekend fisherman and the wind was howling on Saturday. Do I go or don't I go? In the past I have boated big ones on windy days on windblown points. IN September I had a great day on Lewisville and said if I had an anchor that would hold I would have had even a better day! After some research, I bolted together two btrake discs and that anchor holds! Those waves were real on Saturday but we braved the waves and found a cove where it was manageable and anchored on a secondary windblown point. Casted lines towards shore and to the creek channel. 20 minutes in and the fight was on. She was the only one on this point, but it was worth it. Moved to a main point on the windbreak side and got some box fish too. Great day in a hurricane LOL. Big fish of the year so far. 25 po [Linked Image]
unds, and she fought better than fish twice her size that I have boated. I feel like the big ones just throw their weight around sometimes. I got five drag runs from this girl. 25 minutes. I love feeling that power!
Posted By: ACES82

Re: Windy day, big fish - 10/18/20 11:18 PM

Congrats! I wanted to go out but didn’t want to brave the wind.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Windy day, big fish - 10/18/20 11:54 PM

Well done! cheers

Re: Windy day, big fish - 10/19/20 01:19 AM

The good thing about catfishing is you can always find a cove and throw an anchor. Stayed close to Boat ramp. The trip actually made me wonder why I go far from the ramp usually when I go fishing. Catfish seem to be everywhere. Big fish of the year comes 400 yards from boat ramp. LOL
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Windy day, big fish - 10/19/20 02:30 AM

That’s a nice one ! Live or cut bait ?
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Windy day, big fish - 10/19/20 03:05 PM

thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Windy day, big fish - 10/19/20 09:03 PM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Windy day, big fish - 10/20/20 02:17 PM

We were out of town celebrating wife’s 40th down in the Hill Country so I didn’t get to fish. What kind of wind are we talking about? I have the option to fish either 5-10 mph wind this Saturday or 10-20 mph wind on Sunday. I choose the big wind day every time if it’s up to me...Fishing the rollers ain’t easy but it often pays off in a big fish or 2! Congratulations on your big fish of the year! texas

Re: Windy day, big fish - 10/20/20 07:46 PM

It was over 20 out of the South. STayed close to Big Sandy. It was a wet ride across the lake to the coves. Got beat up by the waves for sure. And then we took out at midnight. I swear the wind stopped blowing when we were getting the boat road ready. LOL
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Windy day, big fish - 10/20/20 09:00 PM

Takes big cajones to head out into that stuff at night! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum