Texas Fishing Forum

Punch bait from the bank

Posted By: Mark Cooper

Punch bait from the bank - 10/16/20 05:22 PM

I have a couple of spots, one on a peninsula, one not.
Both are limestone and gravel bottoms, about 15 feet deep.
Just wondering if I should be fishing punch bait on the bottom, or should I be using a slip cork.
Have caught catfish up to 5 pounds at both spots over the years, but never had a bite using my stash of Danny King's/
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: Punch bait from the bank - 10/16/20 08:24 PM

I tried punchbait from the shore not long ago. I got a lot of bites but never could get a hookset. Well, one, but it came off before I could land it. I switched to a slip bobber and got some action but it was just getting too dark to see the bobber.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Punch bait from the bank - 10/16/20 11:26 PM

I always fish punch bait with a slip bobber rig.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Punch bait from the bank - 10/17/20 02:02 AM

I have been doing really good on the bottom in 25 feet of water. I like cut bait or chicken breast. You can push it in the punch bait for added scent.
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: Punch bait from the bank - 10/17/20 02:30 AM

All my success comes on botton and hardly ever on top using punchbaits like cjs or danny kings
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Punch bait from the bank - 10/17/20 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
I have been doing really good on the bottom in 25 feet of water. I like cut bait or chicken breast. You can push it in the punch bait for added scent.

Same here, I like punch bait in the shallows, but anything over a few feet, I'm throwing out chicken breast, bluegill, or shad.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Punch bait from the bank - 10/17/20 03:04 AM

We caught roughly 200 fish today on Cheesebait in 30 ft. Granted , we caught several dink’s, but we caught well over 100 keeper size also
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum