Texas Fishing Forum

Community ponds

Posted By: Mark Cooper

Community ponds - 10/05/20 12:41 AM

Have made two trips to Greenbriar park here in Ft, Worth
First trip, went through a can of nightcrawlers,Second trip, half a can of livers.
Toss out bait, get a couple of taps, then bait is gone. I am holding my rod in hand.
Having never seen the fish, is the state stocking babies? Using a size 1 hook.
May need to downside hook size?
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: Community ponds - 10/05/20 01:55 AM

is it deep enough to fish off of a pier straight down there?

Re: Community ponds - 10/05/20 02:06 AM

No about a 2 acre lake, maybe 6 to 8 feet by the dam.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Community ponds - 10/05/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Cooper
No about a 2 acre lake, maybe 6 to 8 feet by the dam.
Yeah there's a couple of deepish spots, but it's mostly very shallow. There a decent hole, right in the middle by the grass patch.

Re: Community ponds - 10/05/20 01:44 PM

How big are the stocked fish, have yet to see one?
Maybe I should use a bobber.
Posted By: Tin Boat

Re: Community ponds - 10/05/20 02:57 PM

I have been a few times since I live about 5 minutes from it, and have caught two pan sized channels out of both trips; one off the bottom & one on a bobber.
In my opinion, it is a shallow mudhole for the most part, seemed like over 80%+ of it was less than 4 foot deep; felt like I was fishing a small drainage ditch & was crazy packed both times I went.
I saw people catching/keeping a lot of really small bluegill both times & hardly anyone catching catfish, the few I did see caught were pan sized as well; just wasn't my cup of tea really

Re: Community ponds - 10/05/20 04:00 PM

Funny, I have been there 4 times fly fishing for perch, never had a bite.
Went 5 times this past winter for trout, never had a bite.
Posted By: Andrew32198

Re: Community ponds - 10/05/20 08:40 PM

First trip, went through a can of nightcrawlers,Second trip, half a can of livers.
Toss out bait, get a couple of taps, then bait is gone. I am holding my rod in hand.

I've been to Greenbriar once, didn't see any sign of life. I live in Fort Worth and I have been going through the same problems you have. if you're looking for some easy catfish ponds, try Chisholm Park in Hurst, TPWD stocks that one too and I had no issue hooking some catfish using hotdogs and corn (I was also going for carp). Get there about 7am, and just cast straight out from that concrete dock thing.
Anyone else been to Chisholm Park?
Posted By: Tin Boat

Re: Community ponds - 10/05/20 08:51 PM

I have had much better success at Chisolm in the past also, Lakeside in Duncanville too.
Much better scenery and pond as well
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Community ponds - 10/05/20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew32198

I've been to Greenbriar once, didn't see any sign of life. I live in Fort Worth and I have been going through the same problems you have. if you're looking for some easy catfish ponds, try Chisholm Park in Hurst, TPWD stocks that one too and I had no issue hooking some catfish using hotdogs and corn (I was also going for carp). Get there about 7am, and just cast straight out from that concrete dock thing.
Anyone else been to Chisholm Park?

LOL, the last time they stocked Chisolm, in late winter or early spring,, I can literally guarantee the amount of people there, and the amount of fish that were taken that day. The entire stock was depleted that day. They stocked some nice ones though, over 2 lbs.. I tried fishing it early in the Summer, and didn't get a single bite, and it was packed to the brim at 7am.

Re: Community ponds - 10/06/20 12:22 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies. Lake Benbrook is closer, think I will just go there instead.
Posted By: Andrew32198

Re: Community ponds - 10/07/20 12:20 AM

Let us know how you do! Where on Benbrook are you thinking of going?

Re: Community ponds - 10/07/20 01:45 PM

Mustang Park. Always catch a few there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum