Texas Fishing Forum

River fishing near DFW for big cats

Posted By: z289sec

River fishing near DFW for big cats - 10/01/20 05:23 AM

Are there any River areas near DFW with full size boat access with good opportunities for large blues ? I'd like to stay within an hour and a half drive of Fort Worth. Wanna try some river fishing.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: River fishing near DFW for big cats - 10/01/20 12:03 PM

Jon boat +trinity = big fish
Posted By: G Love

Re: River fishing near DFW for big cats - 10/01/20 01:46 PM

Full size boat you're pretty hard pressed unless you want to stake it out for hours on end for a Flathead in the Brazos. It'd be nice if Blues ran it consistently but they don't. After a big ran you can get in to a few but it's not typical.
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: River fishing near DFW for big cats - 10/01/20 05:21 PM

Depends on how big you call Big we don't know... You got the red River man below the dam and up the river mouth from Willis or Lebanon
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: River fishing near DFW for big cats - 10/01/20 06:01 PM

Jon boat, below Texoma on the Red River. Good blue cat fishing.

Re: River fishing near DFW for big cats - 10/04/20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Big Sam
Depends on how big you call Big we don't know... You got the red River man below the dam and up the river mouth from Willis or Lebanon

Anything over 10 or 15 lbs. for me.

Re: River fishing near DFW for big cats - 10/04/20 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by G Love
Full size boat you're pretty hard pressed unless you want to stake it out for hours on end for a Flathead in the Brazos. It'd be nice if Blues ran it consistently but they don't. After a big ran you can get in to a few but it's not typical.

Yeah, That's kinda what I figured. I don't have a Jon Boat, or a Kayak.
Posted By: G Love

Re: River fishing near DFW for big cats - 10/06/20 09:39 PM

You need to hook up with someone with an Airboat this winter and hit the Red and adjoining smaller rivers. I know some boys outta Winthorst that do some trips. They hammer toads. Holler if you want info.
Posted By: benscratchin

Re: River fishing near DFW for big cats - 10/08/20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by z289sec
Are there any River areas near DFW with full size boat access with good opportunities for large blues ? I'd like to stay within an hour and a half drive of Fort Worth. Wanna try some river fishing.

Check out the "Nolan River" . A few years back I went on a motorcycle ride with friends . We stopped at a nice large boat ramp, on the river and took pictures. I think we were near Granbury.
Posted By: benscratchin

Re: River fishing near DFW for big cats - 10/08/20 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by benscratchin
Originally Posted by z289sec

Check out the "Nolan River" . A few years back I went on a motorcycle ride with friends . We stopped at a nice large boat ramp, on the river and took pictures. I think we were near Granbury.

Okay, it was bugging me that I couldn't remember the exact location, so I called my riding buddy.
He said we were at "Hamm Creek Park" on the Brazos river. It's just south of Cleburne, off of FM 174. It's a nice, large boat ramp, above Lake Whitney. The river is pretty wide there also.

Attached picture Brazos river Run 6-2-13.jpg
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum