Texas Fishing Forum

Red river at Natchitoches

Posted By: MrRoachie

Red river at Natchitoches - 10/01/20 01:51 AM

Any pointers on putting out a few throw lines?

We will be staying at Morgan's landing on Bayou Pierre.

Thanks for the responses.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Red river at Natchitoches - 10/01/20 02:03 AM

Been many years, but we used to fish the Red out of Coushatta and Campti both. It’s all changed since the locks but I’m sure some things still hold true. Live bait, (perch or goldfish) were always our mainstays. We used catalpa worms in season too, but live bait was usually better. My advice would be to fish the likely looking spots and don’t be afraid to move them if they don’t produce pretty quickly. I always liked the deep straight walls, the outside bends, and any timber or brush in the water, but the rock rip-rap produces too. Good luck, there are lots of big cats in the Red !

Re: Red river at Natchitoches - 10/01/20 02:42 AM

What depths should I target?
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Red river at Natchitoches - 10/01/20 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by MrRoachie
What depths should I target?

Our throw lines had three to four hooks (3’/4’ apart) with a fairly heavy weight on the bottom, so we were fishing from the bottom to probably 12’/15’ off bottom. Depending on how much water was in the river, and it can vary a lot, your weight might stay where you laid it, or it might not. The Red changes from year to year, sometimes radically. Understand I’m speaking from the perspective of pre-locks, many years ago. It might not change that drastically now. Lots of guys use jug lines now and just let them float, watching them to see when one gets a fish on, but the line is virtually the same. Good luck and post pics.

Re: Red river at Natchitoches - 10/03/20 12:10 AM

Well....

The 150 observers but not posters jinxed the trip.. other guys aint catching so they are coming home tomorrow.

I'm now headed for Sabine Pass..

Specks, flounders, and big reds...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum