Texas Fishing Forum

North End of Eagle Mountain

Posted By: z289sec

North End of Eagle Mountain - 09/11/20 06:19 PM

Any good catfishing on the North end? I always fish the South end, near the dam, and a couple other coves, and channels. Thought I would try putting in at West Bay, and see how it was in a different area.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: North End of Eagle Mountain - 09/11/20 07:03 PM

My biggest I've caught there was on the north end drifting the shallows in the winter. Been 10 years though.
Posted By: 1WithTXFish

Re: North End of Eagle Mountain - 09/11/20 07:14 PM

I don't know for certain but have been told that the average depth north of the island is some where around 8 feet. Every time I have fished the north end it has been with trot lines, mostly in the winter, and the gar to catfish catch ratio with live bait seemed to be almost 50/50.

Re: North End of Eagle Mountain - 09/11/20 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by 1WithTXFish
I don't know for certain but have been told that the average depth north of the island is some where around 8 feet. Every time I have fished the north end it has been with trot lines, mostly in the winter, and the gar to catfish catch ratio with live bait seemed to be almost 50/50.

I know around Pelican Island it is shallow, but the depth map shows some good deeper areas, with sharp drop offs, further North, in some places. Guess we will see if it's correct.

Re: North End of Eagle Mountain - 09/12/20 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by z289sec
Originally Posted by 1WithTXFish

I know around Pelican Island it is shallow, but the depth map shows some good deeper areas, with sharp drop offs, further North, in some places. Guess we will see if it's correct.

There's for sure some deeper areas and a channel that runs through there if I remember right. But there's a large shallow flat area as well. In fact I sucked up mud on my F115 Yamaha and ended up overheating It and costing me a lot of money up there!

Re: North End of Eagle Mountain - 09/12/20 05:11 AM

Plenty of deep water, but couldn't find a single fish......that wasn't a gar. That end is loaded with them. Can't say as I've ever seen that many of them on the South End.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: North End of Eagle Mountain - 09/12/20 01:19 PM

I fished a couple of places on the south end of EM yesterday afternoon and evening (Friday) for bass and couldn't get a bite. Not one solid bite all evening.

The water is up a foot (still .5 ft low) and 10 degrees cooler than it was a little over a week ago. It was cloudy all day until we got out on the lake in the late afternoon and the clouds disappeared.

There is plenty of deep water to navigate the north end until you get to the very end. There are some shallow flats that can be easily avoided by viewing a Navionics map. I think the flats are navigable right now with the water level up.

Re: North End of Eagle Mountain - 09/12/20 05:16 PM

FA, what were you throwing at the bass?
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: North End of Eagle Mountain - 09/13/20 03:00 AM

Lots of silt and not that deep.
Eater catfish are occasional more dinks than anything else.
If your bank fishing... The mosquito love that whole area.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: North End of Eagle Mountain - 09/15/20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by wh2004
FA, what were you throwing at the bass?

I was throwing a couple of different topwaters and a spinnerbait. My son and I went out the next evening and didn't get anything either. I got one solid bite that evening but couldn't set the hook. I caught good fish on topwaters and spinnerbaits in those same places all summer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum