Texas Fishing Forum

Jug Line Rules

Posted By: JD Davis

Jug Line Rules - 07/10/20 03:26 PM

Was out on Whitney last weekend and the Game Wardens picked up my jugs because my date was out. Anyways when I called them to discuss they informed me that starting September 1st of this year the dates on the jugs have to be within 6 days instead of 10. Pass the word.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/10/20 10:29 PM

Thanks for the update. thumb
Posted By: ggoytia

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/10/20 11:16 PM

Thanks for update.
Posted By: jdr418

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/11/20 08:42 PM

Here are all the changes that went into effect this year.

hsttps://www.dailytrib.com/2019/12/05/texas-parks-and-wildlife-changes-trotline-rules/
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/12/20 02:02 AM

If you "jug" consists of pvc pipe with a pool noodle slid over the top you might want to ensure it meets the 3" minimum width.
Also, some of the small plastic drink bottles may not meet the length or width requirements.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/17/20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
If you "jug" consists of pvc pipe with a pool noodle slid over the top you might want to ensure it meets the 3" minimum width.
Also, some of the small plastic drink bottles may not meet the length or width requirements.

Where in the regulations does this appear? I don’t see this on the TPW website where it describes legal devices.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/17/20 04:42 PM

I am not questioning your materials, just indicating if you have these types of "jugs" you might want to double check size.
I used to use small drink bottles sometimes, but now they do not meet size requirements.
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/17/20 05:36 PM

Some one may need to read the laws on jug line.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...-regulations/legal-devices-for-fish/#jug

Jugline

A fishing line with five or less hooks tied to a free-floating device.
•For use in fresh water only.
•May be used to take nongame fish, channel catfish, blue catfish and flathead catfish only.

Tagging and Marking Requirements
•Must be used with a valid gear tag (see Definitions) attached within 6 inches of the free-floating device; gear tag is valid for 10 days after the date set out and must include the number of the permit to sell nongame fish taken from fresh water, if applicable. Properly marked buoys or floats qualify as valid gear tags.
•For non-commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with a free-floating device
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/17/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
I am not questioning your materials, just indicating if you have these types of "jugs" you might want to double check size.
I used to use small drink bottles sometimes, but now they do not meet size requirements.

I have read TPW front to back and can not find anything about the size of a float. Only thing is you have to have your gear tag within 6 inches of your float.

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/17/20 07:31 PM

This past week my wife asked a TPW Warden how many days a trotline or jug line can be left without checking. His response was 6 days from the date on the tag.. I still can’t find any official written notice on the policy changes but will go with what the Warden said. Still too long in my opinion. Especially with the warm weather.
Posted By: zebcoomega1

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/17/20 10:52 PM

It's not in the book so you will get a warning..but after Aug.31 ..6days
on trotline tags and jugs/noodles ..i did read somewhere the noodle has to
Be 3" or better and that may not be in the book til the new one comes out.
Catfish Lynn posted this back in Feb. or so.

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/18/20 12:33 AM

It was in the dailytrib new release posted above.
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/18/20 01:57 AM

If not mistaken, even though it was mid-season, the rules might have already been implemented, instead of waiting until August 31st & the new little regulation book, as to the change from 10 days to 6 days, as to the dating of the line(s)- trotlines, juglines, throwlines, or limb.

There is no set time in the regulations, as to checking them. This probably why the recent drops in datying spans. It used to be 30 days & has been reduced at least twice in the past 20 years. I would have to pull all the regulation books going back to 2002 when I started back up fishing again & Phase 2 of the Catfish Calendar research- for lakes, at Lake Limestone. 1st phase was for rivers back from 1981 thru 1986 on the Brazos (upriver), Navasota (upriver), and mainly Trinity (downriver from 21 to 25 bends) rivers off TX 21.

But yes, during the heat & summer, best to check them often. Out in the DeepWater, during July & thermocline, they can die within one hour, as well as the bait. Usually, just before Memorial Day I finally decided I would not have any DeepWater/DW trotlines out due to the heat, thermocline, bad water (carbon monoxide too high), too many boats, and such, on Lake Limestone. Depending upon certain factors, I might still run jugs out as far as the Near Corner (Running Creek Branch as it touches into the bottom of the lake) at depth ranging from 28 to 24 feet deep. Trotlines (ShallowWater/ SW) would be inside the No Wake Zone, in 13 to 8 feet of water, and more juglines (made up for shallower depths). It did not seem to have problems with thermocline in the areas I would have them set, plus less traffic (if out of the two main paths heading out into deeper waters).

And sometimes the thermocline would reach into October & even stretch into the first few weeks of November.

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/18/20 02:18 AM

Oh, another item seems to be leaning towards more visible floats. Plus it may not be reflective yet, but softer impact floats.

For juglines, I use Tradewinds or Arizona one gallon jugs. If in high traffic area, I may fill halfway with spray foam, in case somebody clips it. On the DW "Planters" I used soft Fender floats (2 or 3 of them- anchor, "Pointer" drop line, and sometimes safety- if the lake rises).

I can share a pre-warning for those with PVC & rebar setups, if a skier hits them, and they get hurt, you could be sued & held accountable. This was shared with me by the Lake Ranger back in April 2008, when our two new setups on 2 of my "Planter" DW trotlines incorporated a PVC frame float on one end, while the other had a 4" PVC buoy set up with concrete in one end. We were trying to make at least one end very visible, since it seemed sometimes that the floats were being targeted, and cut up with boats or motors.

These huge floats came under the ruling (laws) as obstructions of passageways or pathways, it seems.

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/18/20 03:46 AM

Great information. Thanks Catfish Lynn.

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/18/20 09:07 PM

Not a problem. I have interacted with game wardens from the 1980s. While there may be a few who are ticket happy, most want to educate you so you stay in line with the current rules & laws, as well as items to take into consideration for yours & others safety. Plus they are taught the interpretation of the laws that go into effect. So every time I would ask an office worker at the local TP&W, they would say, ask a GW & let them give you the interpretation. And so I do. And by doing so, I have become friends & advocates for the efforts they put forth.

And regardless of whether you are an R-n-Rer or setliner, they are out to also protect your rights, as to what the laws are, even though people's taste & perspective may be totally different.

In the case I mentioned above, after about a month's email correspondence with the Lake Ranger, the Game Warden that had run with him & retrieved our two "Planter" trotlines (gear), we were allowed to come by & pick up what they had salvaged.

Another instance (case), is that you are not to cross into "no man's land" (my term for the safety barrier just out from the dam wall). You see, it was explained to me that they are simply protecting the dam, from such as someone who might want to blow it up with dynamite or something akin to that. Can you imagine the destruction downriver that it would cause? It is a hefty fine should you cross over that line of buoys. HOWEVER, if you have a line (like a jugline) that has crossed into that perimeter, you may call the Lake Ranger & get temporary permission to retrieve your line & fish, then get back on the outside of those buoys, as soon as you have done so. From the Ranger Station, they watch the line with binoculars, so they keep an eye on it, for sure.
Posted By: JD Davis

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/20/20 08:04 PM

I make mine out of 4" PVC Capped on both ends about 18" Long. I asked the Game warden if this material was approved and he said it was fine. Although they are not soft they are very noticeable in the water, I haven't had any issues with people hitting them. I do try and keep them out of the main bodies of water.

Re: Jug Line Rules - 07/21/20 02:40 AM

Very Good, you asked the local Game Warden. If he okayed it, go for it. My "Planter" trotlines are set out in the Big water (deep water). In other words, they were out in the main body of the bottom of the lake.

The two frames I spoke of were elaborate. Or I should say "oversize". We designed them to be visible. We simply wanted to let boaters be able to see one side of the trotline easily, in order to to avoid it. That is, unless they were actually targeting them. We started getting at least one fender float gashed about every two weeks.

As long as it is not in a main traffic area, then there should not be any problems. I just wanted everyone to realize a few things I have encountered and was given the reasons (laws) because of it. The Lake Ranger made us aware of many things we did not know of.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum