Texas Fishing Forum

Lewisville - July Heat

Posted By: DJ BANCO

Lewisville - July Heat - 07/08/20 08:30 PM

Hope everyone is staying safe and getting time to do some good fishing. I am heading over to Lewisville this weekend and boat fishing, I wanted to see where you guys are catching nice keepers, what depth are you guys landing them on and what part of the lake. not asking for specific honey holes haha but just some advice to form my fellow fishermen on here. I will be using cut bait, bluegill and shad.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/08/20 08:38 PM

This was on Fork yesterday in 26 feet. About an hours worth of fishing [Linked Image]
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/08/20 09:01 PM

Find the big groups of sandbass and you’ll find the Blues as well as every other species in the lake. Mid depth ambush structure like humps and ledges in the main lake is the ticket. This time of year a large number of blues will start to group up and move out into open water chasing threadfin and stay on the move. I been off the water for 2 weeks with knee surgery or I would tell ya where I been catching. 2 more weeks and them Lewisville Blues are in big trouble!
Posted By: FeedingFish

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/09/20 03:27 AM

I could tell you all the places to not go. We're going to try some new trick this weekend, but it's been extremely rough.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/09/20 03:50 AM

Hope you have a good trip. thumb

Side Note: Nice fish Little Wheel! cheers

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/09/20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by FeedingFish
I could tell you all the places to not go. We're going to try some new trick this weekend, but it's been extremely rough.

There is a reason Tom is the only Bluecat guide on Lewisville. This lake has a tendency to put guides out of business or forces them to change lakes. I know a ton of catfisherman on this lake but only 4 stay on them Blues year round. I’m sure there are more but they don’t fish the areas we fish or they keep their distance and don’t care to be friendly. What area of the lake are you fishing? Maybe I can point you in the right direction...
Posted By: FWOC

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by DJ BANCO
Hope everyone is staying safe and getting time to do some good fishing. I am heading over to Lewisville this weekend and boat fishing, I wanted to see where you guys are catching nice keepers, what depth are you guys landing them on and what part of the lake. not asking for specific honey holes haha but just some advice to form my fellow fishermen on here. I will be using cut bait, bluegill and shad.

Go by the dam and drift with a bag. Look at the maps o Navionics and you'll see a huge channel running from center left of dam north, and then cuts east for a long distance. Drop a live blue full and other baits to the bottom and wait it out. Good luck!

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by FWOC

Go by the dam and drift with a bag. Look at the maps o Navionics and you'll see a huge channel running from center left of dam north, and then cuts east for a long distance. Drop a live blue full and other baits to the bottom and wait it out. Good luck!

55 ft deep?? Can you show us some cat pics of these fish you been catching? Only time I fish that stretch is in January after we’ve had a big cold snap.

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 05:28 PM

The water is cooler during the day there. You might land.some monsters. I haven't been out there yet but I know they're there. You might hit flatheads too. At night I would go to the lake Dallas side and fishing in 30 foot channels

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 06:47 PM

The water is cooler during the day there. You might land.some monsters. I haven't been out there yet but I know they're there. You might hit flatheads too. At night I would go to the lake Dallas side and fishing in 30 foot channels

Lots of mights, haven’t yet, and woulds in that statement...Are you a media person or a politician by trade? frkazoid
Posted By: FishinGlenn

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 06:49 PM

Most of the catfish that I have been lucky enough to catch lately have been in shady, shallow water around trees or rocks.

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 06:52 PM

I'm guessing that a thermocline is in place over that deep water now.

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 07:05 PM

Do you put in at Little Elm Glenn??

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊

Lots of mights, haven’t yet, and woulds in that statement...Are you a media person or a politician by trade? frkazoid

What are you expecting? I'm saying could and would because you never know with fishing. But go ahead and knock yourself out, it's not like I've been fishing in that lake for 20 years or anything.
Posted By: K_Dean

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 09:17 PM

El Gato is the best bluecat fisherman on Lewisville. He stays on em year round. I’d heed his advice and take the learning curve out. His advice isn’t speculation it’s what’s worked year in and out. He’s taught me more than anyone and is willing to help anyone that asks. Just asks you turn the big girls back in return!
Posted By: Naut Now

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 09:17 PM

Gato has it all wrong, as usual. He is such a rookie. Fish 55 feet in summer. No fish there when cold in Jan. bolt

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Naut Now
Gato has it all wrong, as usual. He is such a rookie. Fish 55 feet in summer. No fish there when cold in Jan. bolt

Prolly have about the same chance of catching em in the wal mart parking lot as 55’

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 09:37 PM

I couldn’t help myself..you admittedly advised DJ to go fish an area you haven’t fished! That’s funny to me. You left yourself open to that one amigo...

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by K Johnson
El Gato is the best bluecat fisherman on Lewisville. He stays on em year round. I’d heed his advice and take the learning curve out. His advice isn’t speculation it’s what’s worked year in and out. He’s taught me more than anyone and is willing to help anyone that asks. Just asks you turn the big girls back in return!

That’s a stretch Kyle but thanks amigo! Truth be told Tom has been doing it for a lot longer and put in way more hours on the water chasing blues then I have. My other 2 fishing buddies Kurtis and Jimmy are both top notch blue catrs that are about as good as anybody. I do pretty good but I still have slot to learn.

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Naut Now

who let this guy in here?👆. Lol.

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/10/20 10:27 PM

I wish I could get a better pattern on the cats. Shady spots are the best I can come up with. Little Elm ramp gets too busy at times and Big Sandy is closer.
Posted By: DJ BANCO

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/11/20 02:40 AM

I’m dropping my boat at Arrowhead park

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/11/20 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by FishinGlenn
I wish I could get a better pattern on the cats. Shady spots are the best I can come up with. Little Elm ramp gets too busy at times and Big Sandy is closer.

I don’t fish the old lake side in the summer, I stay out in the main lake until September. I do know a few spots that usually hold fish over there though. When I get back on the water I will be more helpful. Right now I’m a couch fisherman.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/12/20 12:41 AM

Hey mister EL Gato Couch fisherman LOL I hope you have a speedy recovery Buddy!! definitely miss your posts my friend grin.... I'm sorry DJ I wish I would have seen this post sooner or I would have told you to hit the Southside around the colony because they're full of nice eater blue cats on that finger of the lake between the golf courses right now.... Believe It or Not guys I have a couple of pictures with some very nice catfish in the area FWOC is talking about, however I had never fished that area in the summertime so honestly I can't say it for good at this particular time but winter time it is definitely on!... when I was constantly fishing for blue cats that is lol... because the dang crappie have taken Over my life hammer

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/13/20 06:16 PM

I made one drift across table top yesterday morning and caught 8 I had one boat trolling circles around me about 50 yards away the whole time. I’m sure that didn’t help. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gophish

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/13/20 07:19 PM

K Johnson, were you referring to Table Top on Texoma? I stopped there this morning and all I was getting were peck peck peck from small cats. I know there are some nice cats there at times. I didn't spend much time there this morning. If you don't mind saying. What speed do you like to drift? How many rods do you typically have out?

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/13/20 07:55 PM

That a boy Kyle! Looks like you got some things figured out this season. I predict lots of new personal bests on that boat! texas

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/13/20 09:08 PM

No on Lewisville maybe that’s not the name of it..... coulda sworn I’ve heard it called that though.

If the wind lets me drift off the side I run 7-8 rods. If I’m drifting out the back 6 max. You can run more rods if you use planer boards. El Gato took me on quite a few learning trips where I learned seasonal bait Patterns And areas to fish that transfer to most fisheries. I try to stay around .3 mph. .5 Max
Posted By: Gophish

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/13/20 09:37 PM

Thanks for the reply and information

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/13/20 09:38 PM

I predict there will be 10 different green horns trying to drift that area this weekend. Lol.

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/13/20 09:42 PM

They better be ready to be circled like buzzards and people right on top of them. It’s battle boats after 8
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/14/20 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
55 ft deep?? Can you show us some cat pics of these fish you been catching? Only time I fish that stretch is in January after we’ve had a big cold snap.

When I lived on Lewisville, the summer heat created a dead zone. I never fished below 25 feet. Here on the Tn River I had to re-educate myself. This weekend I was fishing holes 50 -70 feet deep.
Posted By: TXHC

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/24/20 06:04 PM

Little Elm ramp is the reason why I put my toon in the cottonwood marina. It's not cheap but I couldn't take the idiot jack wagons that do not know what boat etiquette. Only down side is having to load and unload all my gear but well worth the convenience. Good Luck out there.

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/24/20 08:37 PM

I’m back in action Saturday morning fellas after 5 weeks of being sidelined... Cloudy chance of rain with good wind should have the fish fired up or at least biting a little longer into the morning. Will let y’all know where I find them. Seeing all the big fish pics last 3 weeks has got me dreaming of big takedowns and man sized fish though I don’t expect to catch anything over 10 lbs. I haven’t caught a fish in so long I’ll be happy to just catch some bait!

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/26/20 09:18 PM

Got out and fished Saturday and Sunday morning...Started out saturday spinning my wheels. Graph wouldn’t power up at the ramp but was able get it going after switching the cables to different battery. Got halfway across the lake and realized I left my new net in the truck. First hour of fishing burned up in smoke. Once I got going bait was easy in 32 ft. Started out drifting the main lake humps and landed 5 eaters first drift. Fish started to move off structure pretty early so I went and checked several other areas close by but nada. Moved back to the humps around 9:30 and everything had moved out into open water. Fish were in 30 ft suspended 10ft off the bottom so I moved up the lake into the Little Elm branch and looked for fish in 20 ft. Found a real good group on Whitehouse Hump and drifted through em. Caught 10 more eaters on the last drift and saved the day. Got off the water at 10:45 when the jet skis started circling like sharks.

We also fished for a few hours Sunday and did about the same. Cool thing happened while deploying a planer board. While letting line out on a planer I noticed the line started moving sideways fast. I flipped the clutch as line was peeling and the rod doubled over with a hookup and boom 16 lbr! This time of year there is only a short window of time to catch fish in the morning and if you waste any time then you’ll burn up half the good fishing. I had a few issues to iron out but it was good to be back on the water and knock the rust off. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TXHC

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/27/20 01:35 PM

Nice fish and I was out there, we probably drove right passed each other LOL. Will watch for you next weekend Chris.

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/27/20 02:13 PM

Well looks like Ya'll ironed them out pretty well thumb
Posted By: iFloat

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/27/20 03:40 PM

Awesome thanks for sharing.

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/27/20 04:07 PM

I will see you out there Ryan cheers

Took a while to get things rolling Fredo. I can tell you from having knee surgery that you lose muscle memory really quickly if you don’t use them. My right leg quit working properly. I’m having to retrain my leg and foot muscles to fire properly after not using them for 5 weeks and same goes with fishing I guess...5 weeks of not fishing and things that were second nature were no longer automatic. Part of being a successful angler is being able eliminate all the little things that keep your hooks out of the water. I floated around like an idiot for a good hour before I finally pulled my head out...

Re: Lewisville - July Heat - 07/29/20 02:27 PM

I know it will come to you pretty fast Brother!! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum